Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 319 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #30886
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Strongly considering grabbing a frameset around tax time and just throwing the rest of gear off my Trek on it until I can piece together the rest of it.
This may not be the best advice, but keep your eyes open. When I was looking to get my LHT, I was planning to do like you. Buy the frame, then swap over the cheap parts from my hybrid until I could afford the good stuff.

Then a local store had one in my size that had been on the shelf for ages for around $300. No way I could have even come close to doing the stock build myself for $1000. A Fargo may have more demand but maybe if you snoop around this winter you can find a deal.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #30887
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,660
hi 'Head!

FWIW, i've got plenty-thousands of miles on Campy Record 10-spd with a Wippermann (Connex?) link, with no trouble whatsoever. (beat the heck out of the goofy system Campy had,...)

cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
I have not replaced my chain yet, I only have a few thousand miles on it.
I seem to recall being told the chain was narrow enough with the 10 back there the quick link would be a problem.
I carry one in case I make a mess and have to ride home.
I need to get to the LBS and check my chain. I have not bothered to look up the specs on it or take measurements.

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #30888
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
This may not be the best advice, but keep your eyes open. When I was looking to get my LHT, I was planning to do like you. Buy the frame, then swap over the cheap parts from my hybrid until I could afford the good stuff.

Then a local store had one in my size that had been on the shelf for ages for around $300. No way I could have even come close to doing the stock build myself for $1000. A Fargo may have more demand but maybe if you snoop around this winter you can find a deal.
No locals carry Salsa that I have found.

I'm not even worried about good stuff per se, a wheelset, controls and 2x10 crankset/casset all in the midrange (used) would suit what I need really.

Then the treck can be a full time trailbike. Its just not the best for 90% of how I use it right now.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #30889
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,131
Good to know.
I'm going to get a new chain just because I figure it is likely time. And I need to buy a nice new chain tool or three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
hi 'Head!

FWIW, i've got plenty-thousands of miles on Campy Record 10-spd with a Wippermann (Connex?) link, with no trouble whatsoever. (beat the heck out of the goofy system Campy had,...)

cheers!
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #30890
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,678
Quote:
No locals carry Salsa that I have found.

I'm not even worried about good stuff per se, a wheelset, controls and 2x10 crankset/casset all in the midrange (used) would suit what I need really.

Then the treck can be a full time trailbike. Its just not the best for 90% of how I use it right now.
This is why I wish Salsa would pull out from the QBP umbrella and invest in some small, start-up bike shops. They have such a great product and cult-like following that would be a boon for bike shops looking to add to their portfolio without having to dedicate acres of floor space to inventory such as Specialized, Trek and Giant require. This mail-order sight-unseen and un-ridden is what has thus far prevented me from really investing my time and hard-earned money into with their offerings. I would love to own a Warbird but refuse to fork out that much money without swinging a leg over one first.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #30891
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
This has probably been brought up before, but a bike rack question.

I've got a 2002 Honda CR-V with a hitch mounted. This is one of the cars with the side-opening tailgate. I've decided that's it's between a Saris Bones or some kind of hitch-mounted rack.

Pluses for the Bones are that I can still open my tailgate with the rack attached. The Bones could be used on my wife's car in a pinch as well. Could still tow the RAGBRAI trailer with the rack attached as well. Disadvantage is that it looks a little trickier to mount than a hitch rack.

For the hitch rack, well, I don't really see what the advantages are besides maybe faster mounting and maybe sturdier construction. I see a lot of them tip forward but I don't think that helps in my case.

So it looks like I've sold myself on a Bones/trunk mount rack, but the hitch mounted ones seem popular so I was just going to see if they had any advantages that I was forgetting.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:56 PM   #30892
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
This is why I wish Salsa would pull out from the QBP umbrella and invest in some small, start-up bike shops. They have such a great product and cult-like following that would be a boon for bike shops looking to add to their portfolio without having to dedicate acres of floor space to inventory such as Specialized, Trek and Giant require. This mail-order sight-unseen and un-ridden is what has thus far prevented me from really investing my time and hard-earned money into with their offerings. I would love to own a Warbird but refuse to fork out that much money without swinging a leg over one first.
Even small grassroots IBD's who do business with Quality can't bring Salsa in if they're in a restricted territory, it can be frustrating.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #30893
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,095
How to do a 3hr oil change.
Step 1: pull car up on ramps
Step 2: remove drain plug
Step 3: go for a 2.5hr cx ride with a buddy
Step 4: reassemble car and fill with oil
Step 5: clean up
Old 08-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #30894
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,095
New from the 'what'll they think of next?' files

M
Old 08-28-2013, 07:19 PM   #30895
fz6kd7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
that is just spiffy
pricey to pay for ??????
fz6kd7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #30896
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
X2 on the locked up territory and they also require a fairly large commitment every year to keep buying, a lot of smaller shops can't swing that.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #30897
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,703
Quote:
I serious want a Fargo.

I don't want to pay for it however
I LOVE mine!
I picked up the frame used, gen 1 for $300. Built it up with used stuff until I was sure I liked it.... It is no longer a budget build, but it sure is a nice ride. I can run what ever tires I want to and still fit fenders, even Nano 2.1's with fenders. I run some 35's for only road.

I could go on and on, but if you lust, you know......
mud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #30898
surly357
Cochetopa dreamin'

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700 View Post
Even small grassroots IBD's who do business with Quality can't bring Salsa in if they're in a restricted territory, it can be frustrating.

Then there must be another dealer nearby for that test ride. ;-)

Even though they're perceived as a 'niche' brand they really cast a pretty wide net over many a niche. I've liked all the ones I've seen well enough, and we toy with the idea of carrying them. BUT- Which models/sizes does a small shop stock? They're all relatively expensive, and are often in short supply. Whatever bikes we choose, the next Salsa shopper will think we're missing the one we 'should' have, and the odds of getting it won't be good...

Would it be more fun to build/sell (and EP!) Salsas than the usual crap from Waterloo? Hell yeah! But it's still a business, dammit... :-(

I really don't blame QBP for their sales policy with Salsas either. It's a brand that may appeal more to shop employees than actual customers! If they didn't have territories and minimums, after the first rush of a few EP purchases they'd never hear from many of those 'dealers' again.

FWIW, there is no autonomous Salsa (or Surly) to pull out from the QBP umbrella. There is just QBP. :-)
surly357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #30899
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,131
Another hot and late ride after work.
20.2 miles, not real fast at under 15 mph average. It was hot and windy.
Hammered myself a bit. 179 max and 150 average.
Did a little extra climbing and that is what really whacked the average. Got home before dark so that was good.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:46 AM   #30900
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,180
Chain nonsense sorted I pedaled last night. First time in a while. Been lifting and riding the TDF trainer instead. Did my 28 mile loop and died a thousand deaths. Seemed as if I had a headwind no matter what direction I went. At least I missed the rain.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: