AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:18 PM   #30917
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
Just put bigger tires on your LHT. I've seen people put 50's on it.
I've got Travel contacts on mine it'll go down any gravel road or root and rutted Muti Use Trail. I run 40's on mine.
Thanks for the tip. I've still got the stock tires on mine, they do alright on loose surfaces but I have pondered some really massive tires.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:29 AM   #30918
Ridge
power 2 the pedal

Oddometer: 1,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Yeah, it was discontinued when I was shopping, so I scored a new in the box unit off ebay.

In other news, this week old sinus infection/crud is really getting old. Luckily, that old country church at mile 20 in BFE had a port a potty in front of it yesterday. The inside of the crapper must have been 120F... and it was a long s(h)it.
I had one two weeks ago and eradicated it with zero medication. I used the NielMed Sinus Rinse about 3 times per day to flush everything clean. Tip for post-flush; bend over like you are touching your toes and blow your nose to clear out any leftover saline. This is far and away improved over the Neti pot.
Ridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:43 AM   #30919
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Didn't ride to work today and felt a little guilty about it, so I took the fast bike for a short ride after work. Decided to go after a Strava segment (I know I know ) near my house. I'd made a PR last time on it and thought I was cranking pretty good, but I didn't think I rode it as smart as I could. This time I attacked it a bit more thoughtfully, and today I beat my old record by 30 seconds! I couldn't believe it. Felt pretty good, and really makes me appreciate that Klein after slogging around on the Surly
30 seconds? You must really have been dragging your ass the first time you rode it.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:56 AM   #30920
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,084
Quote:
I have to stop looking at those off-roady Surlys... I love my Trucker and sometimes I think I'd like to try offroad bike riding, don't need another bike to spend money on though
Quote:
Just put bigger tires on your LHT. I've seen people put 50's on it.
I've got Travel contacts on mine it'll go down any gravel road or root and rutted Muti Use Trail. I run 40's on mine.
I knew they'd take at least a 40, but, didn't realize a 2.0" would fit.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:12 AM   #30921
El Guero
V4 Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
30 seconds? You must really have been dragging your ass the first time you rode it.
Yeah, I hadn't put much thought into previous attempts. The segment is a little over a mile long and starts relatively flat, then has a huge dip that goes up over an even bigger hill. I'd been getting myself psyched out by the big hill and didn't realize that going fast on the flat, then going warp speed down the hill and carrying enough momentum to crest the next hill at a decent speed was the way to do it. Figuring all that out cut 30 seconds off my old time. Small victories for internet racers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I knew they'd take at least a 40, but, didn't realize a 2.0" would fit.
I think Surly's website says it will take up to a 45. I was just looking at Rivendell's description of the Schwalbe Big Ben 50 and they measured it to be about 45, so I wonder if even that tire would fit. Personally, the Conti 37 I have on there right now seems about big enough

Old 08-30-2013, 07:38 AM   #30922
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I think Surly's website says it will take up to a 45. I was just looking at Rivendell's description of the Schwalbe Big Ben 50 and they measured it to be about 45, so I wonder if even that tire would fit. Personally, the Conti 37 I have on there right now seems about big enough
Well, you want to leave room for mud and rocks to pass through. And, measure that 37 with a caliper and see what the actual measurement is. A lot of Conti's models are way narrower than labeled. A set of 32s measured ~27 and my current 42s measure ~37.

Edit: The Speed Ride at the bottom of their page is what I'm running.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:31 AM   #30923
El Guero
V4 Whore

When I wear out/get tired of the Conti Contacts on the Trucker, I think it's going to be a hard choice. There are so many options out there for wide tires, from off-roady tires to roady tires to everything in between. I kinda wish I could get something a little faster than Contacts so group rides would be a little easier, on the other hand I could put something big and dorky on there and then just ride the Klein for group rides. Decisions!

Old 08-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #30924
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 850
The muddy season is approaching, here's how to keep your kit clean and fresh looking---> LINKY
Old 08-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #30925
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,023
Quote:
Yeah, I hadn't put much thought into previous attempts. The segment is a little over a mile long and starts relatively flat, then has a huge dip that goes up over an even bigger hill. I'd been getting myself psyched out by the big hill and didn't realize that going fast on the flat, then going warp speed down the hill and carrying enough momentum to crest the next hill at a decent speed was the way to do it. Figuring all that out cut 30 seconds off my old time. Small victories for internet racers

Here's the link on crazyguy
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/p...id=284064&v=HC

Ilike the travel contacts,90 psi,high thread count,slick middle tread with nobby sides.good all round tire.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:41 PM   #30926
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Ilike the travel contacts,90 psi,high thread count,slick middle tread with nobby sides.good all round tire.
From what little I read, the guy has a great attitude. That's the kind of dude I'd like to ride with.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #30927
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,023
Quote:

Here's another guy who put 50's on a LHT,He did have to shave the outer nobs off the tires as they were wearing the paint and probably some metal off the chainstays
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?page_id=117641
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:45 PM   #30928
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 5,868
Caution, foul language is used at will by a cranky old man.

You were warned.
Went to see the spine doc today.
Boo.

Good news is surgery won't fix anything.

Bad news nothing else will either.

Basically I have some birth defect. Sixty years of beating my body down to find this out now. Oh, and according to the doc cycling is bad for your back.
Bullshit.
So, blood tests top determine how crazy the pill pushers can get and physical therapy for me to find out what fab exercises I get to do for the rest of my life.

Yeah the motorcycle is bad for my back too. I'm pretty sure doubling down on twin hookers would be too, so I'll avoid that.
Cycling I'll keep since I know for a fucking fact it makes my back feel fucking better!

The favorite bit is me sucking pills. AIn't going to happen. I can deal with the pain until I can't then I'll see what is what.
At least I'm not some twenty-something just starting to tear things up. The pictures of my spine are pretty awful. Even I knew it was fucked when I looked at them. I now understand why I've lost some height. Much of my spine is compressed to very, very near bone to bone. Lots of scaring, aka spurs and such.
So, a life of contact sport and activity is pretty clearly a very stupid way to pass painlessly through old age.

Five years and I figure I can look into alternatives.

Oh and since I'm on a roll; work sucks.

More good news: We have a three day weekend, that looks to be less stupid hot than the previous week, and I plan to ride.

Damn the Man!

Now, that first bottle of wine I opened was nasty. Time to go find something with a little character and purpose.
We will survive, and I am cranking The Dead.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:37 PM   #30929
fz6kd7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Get the pills but only take the good ones,
then start taichi and cycle both with and without
motors.

I'll bill ya later
fz6kd7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:39 AM   #30930
vfr700
172S