User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 319 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #30991
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,131
At about 17 mph it begins to matter. But, that would picking fly shit out of the pepper as grand dad used to say.
I don't have that problem. I have ridden behind a couple of guys who I could look completely under when on the drops.

I fixed the shredder since some junkmailer had a bogus steel token in the letter that jammed the damned thing. Two hours sweating like a pig in the garage enough to pool around my flipflops while taking the shredder head apart and back together. $400 shredder and darned if I was going to take it to a repairman.
And I cleaned my motorcycle up a bit more. I was going to check the valves but by then I had soaked my clothes.
Oh, and on Sunday morning while waiting for breakfast at a hidden little place down by the ocean we got to talking to the family waiting with us. They were over here to their vacation home, (in Newport Beach!), and from UK. Turns out her brother designed the new Mark Cavendish logo.
http://www.markcavendish.co.uk/
Pretty cool. Then my phone buzzed and I had a deposit in my PayPal account. The Adventure had just sold at that point.
So, when I got home, I burned up some time motorcycle shopping and showing my wife videos of 990 Adventures jumping dunes.
I want a 690, but she thinks its too small. Hell everything is small compared to that pfig of an Adventure I am riding.

New owner is flying in next Wednesday so I'll have it all polished and tuned up for him.
If I lived closer to work, I'd be looking at full squish mountain bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Y'all will note I ain't said nuthin

Nope.

Not a word.

I went on a ride this AM with a coupla buddies. Didya know small guys (smaller'n me anyway) don't make much of a draft? D.O. *may* weigh 130# and rides a 50-51cm TT. When you're going somewhat quickly, that hole in the air becomes important!

Then I got back and did a coupla hours of mowing.

M
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #30992
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,342
I felt like complete hell but I put the bike in the truck anyway. Right before I got sick I thought I would go back to the old Sidis. Well, they don't feel a bit like the new Diadoras. I really need to spend some time fixing my cleat position. I had an odd pain in the centre of my left knee. I think I may need to move the shoe toward the inside of the bike. Right now I have the shoes as outboard as they they will go to keep from clipping my ankles like I used to with the old Record cranks. I don't think that will be a problem with these FSA cranks, seems I have plenty of room. Also, the heel of the right Diadora used to clip the rear derailleur cable guide once in a while. Clearance has doubled with the Sidi shoes. I may have to buy a new pair and hide it from the pillion until they look used and old.

I also need to mess with my saddle a bit. I suppose all of this is expected with a different shoe.

I stopped by the local bike shop and asked if he had a set of red Look Keo cleats. He didn't. He can order them. 30 USD and end of the week. Those same cleats are 16 USD on sale from Wiggle and would be here middle of next week. I told him to order them anyway, but supporting my local is getting costly.

So I rode anyway. 11 miles of pedaling squares and feeling like a bucket of hog shyte and I packed it in. I suppose it's a little soon.

I read a really neat account of one of the Cannondale boys in the Tour who flexed his pre-production Super Six Evo frame so badly on a descent that he threw the chain off the outside of the chainset and crashed his brains out. Said they were no where near stiff enough. I guess not. He also recalled having to change bikes early in the race because his proper ride had developed a loose crank. He was given his second bike with no computer, the heaviest, most basic training wheels the team used and a brand new saddle which added about 4mm to his seat height. Such is the life of a domestique.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.

Schlug screwed with this post 09-03-2013 at 06:43 PM
Schlug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #30993
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
The Adventure had just sold at that point.
So, when I got home, I burned up some time motorcycle shopping and showing my wife videos of 990 Adventures jumping dunes.
I want a 690, but she thinks its too small. Hell everything is small compared to that pfig of an Adventure I am riding.

You're gonna miss that bike once it's gone. I just found an ADV tank for my 1150. It's sitting in the study in a giant box like an end table. The pillion has mentioned it but she's not too cross with me yet.

If you buy a KTM 1190 your list of necessary spares will double.

Don't bother with a matching aero helmet in KTM orange. They don't do any good.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #30994
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 566
Sez you.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #30995
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

No chance getting me to bite at the 1190. I'm more partial to the last of the breed bike. I stopped on my way home and visited with the good KTM shop. 990 BAja is about $16K OTD in round numbers. Comes with a rack, a tail bag and tank bag. There is also a GPS mount bar, and led riding lights. Oh, and big orange bash bars.
We'll know in a week or so if I can talk myself out of the money.
When going areo one needs to remember the tail bit. Blunt end goes into the business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
You're gonna miss that bike once it's gone. I just found an ADV tank for my 1150. It's sitting in the study in a giant box like an end table. The pillion has mentioned it but she's not too cross with me yet.

If you buy a KTM 1190 your list of necessary spares will double.

Don't bother with a matching aero helmet in KTM orange. They don't do any good.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Old 09-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #30996
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Well said.

The aero helmet he was using looked like this one:

Old 09-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #30997
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
As for me, my GPS data shows that aero helmets are no faster at high speeds than a regular helmet; they just look ridiculous.

Next time, imagine being chased by zombies on horseback, taking turns wacking your helmet with 9 irons. You just weren't in the right frame of mind to see an appreciable increase in speed.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:58 AM   #30998
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Next time, imagine being chased by zombies on horseback, taking turns wacking your helmet with 9 irons. You just weren't in the right frame of mind to see an appreciable increase in speed.
I had to bring the bike in for servicing, so it may be a while until I can try it again. For some reason mine won't go nearly as fast as Fabian Cancalara's bike. I'm hoping it's a warranty issue.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:01 AM   #30999
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,097
TTs: if you don't get off the bike puking, seeing black spots, and darn near passing out, you didn't go hard enough.

To be truly fast at em takes training to ride at/over/at/over/repeat LT. Coupla good workouts online for that.

...AND skinsuit, and lycra/aero booties. All that loose, baggy/flappy jersey and straps on yer shoes you got on there A? Slow as molasses in Jan.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:41 AM   #31000
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
TTs: if you don't get off the bike puking, seeing black spots, and darn near passing out, you didn't go hard enough.
That's how my VQ Racing coaches decides how well a class went: by the number of times someone nearly puked. My record so far is 3.

Quote:
...AND skinsuit, and lycra/aero booties. All that loose, baggy/flappy jersey and straps on yer shoes you got on there A? Slow as molasses in Jan.
I'm NOT wearing a skin suit (at least until I lose some more weight). I look geeky enough just wearing the TT helmet.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:47 AM   #31001
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
I'm NOT wearing a skin suit (at least until I lose some more weight). I look geeky enough just wearing the TT helmet.
See? You're just not serious enough! No wonder you didn't go all that fast!

M
Old 09-04-2013, 07:44 AM   #31002
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

There's a lot of that going around.

Quote:
I had to bring the bike in for servicing, so it may be a while until I can try it again. For some reason mine won't go nearly as fast as Fabian Cancalara's bike. I'm hoping it's a warranty issue.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Old 09-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #31003
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

SRAM Red is expensive. Even at wholesale!

Just ordered some bits and bobs (like shifters, crank, and brakes) to finish the Altamira CX frame I bought.

M
Old 09-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #31004
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700 View Post
...and no lawyer tabs back then, quick releases worked as they should. Just saying.
I'm curious, do people grind these off? I'm just about to, they piss me off, I rode bikes without them for 25+ years.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #31005
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

I haven't yet on my two bikes with them. Only the old school Pinarello doesn't have them.
I don't pull the wheels much so tend to forget about them between tire changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
I'm curious, do people grind these off? I'm just about to, they piss me off, I rode bikes without them for 25+ years.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: