Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 498 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 10:31 AM   #31021
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
If he wants to look stupid, he can buy a recumbent.

Now see... I wasn't going to go there. Better you said it than me.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #31022
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
What the hell did I just watch?

Perhaps a lower seat position would help this fellow out.
Brilliant innovations are always ridiculed at first. I predict that in coming years, they'll be standard equipment on all bikes.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #31023
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,457
From the bike show

Since I have always been a fan of the Dutch Panasonic team (And Phil Anderson) this beauty made my heart beat out of my chest. My first real racing bike was Panasonic Professional at the tender age of 14. Sometime in the 90's when Phil was riding for Motorola I had him autograph a Panasonic jersey for me.

Speedplay will have a new "Zero Pave" pedal.

They said it will be stainless or titanium and wickedly expensive.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #31024
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Brilliant innovations are always ridiculed at first. I predict that in coming years, they'll be standard equipment on all bikes.
Easy. Easy. You'll lose 'em. Just wiggle the tip until it's time to set the hook.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #31025
SV_Dwayne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
I'm at 4,516 bicycle commuting miles since January 1st, figure I should be able to hit 6,000 by the end of the year. Every so often I take the wee strom to work instead, and am reminded every time how Atlanta traffic really sucks the fun out of that. On days I want to have fun, I grab the road bike instead of the slick-tired MTB with bags and put the pedal on the floor to see whether my lungs or my legs give up first.

SV_Dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #31026
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
So I was heading up the home stretch climb today, feeling strong and looking forward to finishing off a 29 mile ride with a 18.4 mph average. About a third of the way up, the road was blocked by cop cars, heavy duty tow trucks, and electric utility trucks. Some jack leg had apparently forgotten to lower his boom on his bucket truck and pulled a power pole down while driving away. Of course, the road was completely blocked due to the downed power lines, so the only option was to backtrack down the hill, refill the water bottle, and do the steep climb alternate loop home: 36 miles at a pathetic 17.8 average.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #31027
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
So I was heading up the home stretch climb today, feeling strong and looking forward to finishing off a 29 mile ride with a 18.4 mph average. About a third of the way up, the road was blocked by cop cars, heavy duty tow trucks, and electric utility trucks. Some jack leg had apparently forgotten to lower his boom on his bucket truck and pulled a power pole down while driving away. Of course, the road was completely blocked due to the downed power lines, so the only option was to backtrack down the hill, refill the water bottle, and do the steep climb alternate loop home: 36 miles at a pathetic 17.8 average.
Whoops! That's gonna be some bill...

I'm headed to the first Wed night CX practice out in The Plains. We'll see how it goes on the freshly built (as of 20min ago) Fuji Altamira CX 1.0 with a Red mix on it. Still no bar tape because I gotta choose between orange, blue, and white.

M
Old 09-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #31028
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Now see... I wasn't going to go there. Better you said it than me.
I figured I'd get a laugh out of it but in all seriousness, I'm to the point where I really don't give a shit anymore. I'm tired of justifying what I ride to someone else who, in all likelihood, couldn't finish an event over 300-km.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #31029
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,689
the Planet Bike Superflash is remarkably effective, uses standard batteries, and is fairly economical; the Turbo version has a random blinking pattern that might induce seizures, and manages to have something lit nearly continuously so that once the *BLINK* has gotten your attention there's a nice solid light for an observer to get a bearing on.
http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3070.html

cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I realized on my 6:30 ride this morning that I really should get some lights - or a rear light at least. It wasn't super dark so I don't really need a front to be able to see with (but I will get one eventually) but I would feel a lot more comfortable with a rear light.

So....any recommendations

My first thought was something that either used regular batteries that I could re-charge OR something like a light I can re-charge with a USB cable ? My mate has one but it used one of those button type batteries and I'd rather not get into dealing with something like that if I can help it.

I have an under the seat bag so mounting it shouldn't be an issue.

Cheers

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #31030
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,689
ditto.

(well, possibly less miles on that particular bike, but more years,... )

cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Well over 10,000 miles in 2 years on my Speedplay Zero S/S pedals with almost zero preventative maintenance performed or necessary. Also on the same set of original cleats that came with the pedals and they still clip in/out without fail. YMMV...

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #31031
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
I use a Cateye 5 LED uses 2 AAA batteries.Bright ,battery last a long time.
http://www.jensonusa.com/Rear-Lights...d-5-Tail-Light
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
the Planet Bike Superflash is remarkably effective, uses standard batteries, and is fairly economical; the Turbo version has a random blinking pattern that might induce seizures, and manages to have something lit nearly continuously so that once the *BLINK* has gotten your attention there's a nice solid light for an observer to get a bearing on.
http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3070.html

cheers!
Thanks
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #31032
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Still no bar tape because I gotta choose between orange, blue, and white.

M
Flouro green!
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #31033
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post

cheers!
I've got one of those. Truly seizure-inducing.

I run the Turbo low and left and another blinky on my seatpost. My Blackburn Fleas (both front and rear) finally gave up the ghost after three years of abuse, so I replaced them with these CatEye three-way things.

YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #31034
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_Dwayne View Post
I'm at 4,516 bicycle commuting miles since January 1st, figure I should be able to hit 6,000 by the end of the year. Every so often I take the wee strom to work instead, and am reminded every time how Atlanta traffic really sucks the fun out of that. On days I want to have fun, I grab the road bike instead of the slick-tired MTB with bags and put the pedal on the floor to see whether my lungs or my legs give up first.
Sounds like your commute is a bit longer than mine Agree with you on traffic though - I think time to work between the bicycle and my motorcycle is a wash. Any time I make up in speed on the motorcycle is lost waiting in traffic.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:49 PM   #31035
filmfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 839
Re: lights

It is that time of year...
I needed to replace my little "get home" cateye and also wanted something that could give actual illumination.
I picked up a Light & Motion Urban 400 from a LBS last week.
Gave it its first real try-out this evening and I'm really pleased with it.

Started out just after dusk, and put it in flash mode. It was strobing road signs and other reflectors that were a quarter to a half mile away, and the reflective illumination was showing even with car headlights on the signs. I'm sure it was annoying as heck to the cars
Very wild to see the license plates on the cars strobing as they went up the road!

When it got dark I switched to the steady mode and it gives better near illumination (20-30 feet) than any other light I've had. I've not tried a side-by-side comparison but I think my halogen nite rider may have a slight edge in distance illumination, but it would only be slight.
It uses a built-in rechargable battery, and has a USB charging port.
There are three steady on modes and one blink mode.
It seems well made, has a no-tool mount and goes on in maybe 10 seconds, and the size is just barely larger than a Cat-eye Uno which is a little single-AA visibility light.
Runs 100 $'s + or -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I realized on my 6:30 ride this morning that I really should get some lights - or a rear light at least. It wasn't super dark so I don't really need a front to be able to see with (but I will get one eventually) but I would feel a lot more comfortable with a rear light.

So....any recommendations

My first thought was something that either used regular batteries that I could re-charge OR something like a light I can re-charge with a USB cable ? My mate has one but it used one of those button type batteries and I'd rather not get into dealing with something like that if I can help it.

I have an under the seat bag so mounting it shouldn't be an issue.

Cheers

filmfan screwed with this post 09-11-2013 at 05:55 PM
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: