Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by inyang View Post
Arrhh, seen your problem now
Not complying with Rule 24 in thought and action

Switch over and the gains will come.

But, seriously, how do you know the aero helmet did not help?

Could have added 0.5km/h to your average speed.

I like this one

Quote:
Rule #47 // Drink Tripels, don’t ride triples.

Cycling and beer are so intertwined we may never understand the full relationship. Beer is a recovery drink, an elixir for post-ride trash talking and a just plain excellent thing to pour down the neck. We train to drink so don’t fool around. Drink quality beer from real breweries. If it is brewed with rice instead of malted barley or requires a lime, you are off the path. Know your bittering units like you know your gear length. Life is short, don’t waste it on piss beer.
....oh and

Quote:
Rule #56 // Espresso or macchiato only.

When wearing cycling kit and enjoying a pre or post ride coffee, it is only appropriate to drink espresso or macchiato. If the word soy/skim latte is heard to be used by a member wearing cycling apparel, then that person must be ceremonially beaten with Co2 canisters or mini pumps by others within the community.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
There have been iterations of rules by various sanctioning race bodies over the use and enforcement of them. They are dubbed "lawyer" due to the implication of a lawsuit should one fail to improperly secure their wheel to the fork through mis-managment in application of thier attentive resources (i.e. common sense...)
According to the owner of my LBS New Jersey actually tried to ban QR wheels because of that......which would be typical there are to many Lawyers in the state by far.

Tripped1 screwed with this post 09-04-2013 at 10:51 PM
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:17 AM   #31022
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,327
This is Stefan. His name is Stefan.

Harden the fuck up, Stefan!

Those rules are awesome and should he held as gospel.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:57 AM   #31023
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,992
Riding buddy is coming over in a bit to do the '4 Gravel Roads' ride then some hill run-ups.

Took a Sudafed this AM 'cause my sinuses were giving me fits. Should I warn him I'm doping?

M
Old 09-05-2013, 06:51 AM   #31024
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Make sure you update your calendar so they can find you for your out of competition testing. Only have a couple of hours.

This morning I noticed, to my horror, that the replaceable rear derailleur hanger on that Bottecchia was loose. The bolt that holds-- one single bolt-- was loose. I noticed this because I couldn't get the chain completely silent. And when you can't quite a chain to run silent in all gears you need to start looking at a worn, sloppy rear derailleur or rear dropout misalignment, etc. When I undid the rear skewer the replaceable rear derailleur shifted a couple mm's.

I considered the worst-- that the threads were buggered in the frame and some sort of repair needed to be affected like a helicoil or a timecert.

Then I thought this might be the opportunity to build up that Merckx frame sitting there wrapped in plastic. Something I had promised myself I wouldn't do until I had put a few thousand miles on. You know, earned it.

But upon removing the rear wheel, throwing the chain off and unseating the rear derailleur cable, I noticed three things:

The threads are fine.

1. It is a very small (M3?) stainless bolt into a heat treated aluminum alloy. I used Loctite. They used fuck-all aside from hope.

2. The rear derailleur hanger is a hefty piece of what looks like stainless.
Should anything befall the rear derailleur, I'm 100% sure that single tiny screw would tear clean out of the frame or my 175 dollar rear derailleur would be mangled long before that replaceable piece gave up.

3. There is a slight misalignment of the rear dropouts. Not a major misalignment but enough that you can watch the rear QR skewer pull the dropout a bit.

This is a problem with such a finicky alloy being made en masse in Taiwan. It has to be heat treated after welding and is bound to have all sorts of internal stresses when done poorly. And there is no chance of cold setting it now.

Alright, one more thing. My god that frame is light. I don't have a repair stand so I did a lot of this work off the tailgate of the truck. With both wheels off and holding the bike by the seat tube I was amazed. I re-adjusted the gears and got them nice and silent, adjusted my saddle a bit and took off for a test ride.

If you ever wonder who the pillock is riding a retardedly expensive bike around the neighbourhood in soccer slides and an ADV t-shirt at 8 AM, it's me.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #31025
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Went out and did 27 miles. They keep telling me it's a 30 mile loop but I can only ever manage 27 out of it. Either they're computers aren't set correctly or mine is off. I averaged 15.6 mph today. Better than previous days even though I felt like hell. I'm still reduced to a diet of rice and certain veg, maybe a piece of white toast. Super low fibre for a while. I chalk my increase in speed up to the wind. It was at my tail on the 'hills' and in my face on the descents.

Bike rode great.

I waved at about 20 people today including about 3 serious cyclists. One fellow grunted at me, one ignored me and I think one big fellow with a fancy grey tache riding a very big, (64cm?) very nice bicycle spit at me.

Not even the dog walkers were in a good mood. It's beginning to get on my tits. I'm slow as a goddamn snail, I'm not out to race anyone, a 14 ,mph roll through the woods with a bit of cycling convo would make my day.

On a side note, as I came home I had to stop at the pharma on the way home for more, better drugs. Not thinking for one second I left my bicycle wide open in the bed of my truck for about 20 minutes in the straight ghetto. Canadians, apparently, are nicer off the bike than on.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #31026
fz6kd7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 749
cork brake pads?????

what is the better types of pads.. i don't care if i change them 2/3 times a year its not that hard.
fz6kd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #31027
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

What sort of rim? Carbon? Aluminum?
Old 09-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #31028
fz6kd7
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
What sort of rim? Carbon? Aluminum?
aluminum.....cheap bike df
Old 09-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #31029
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,440
Quote:
Went out and did 27 miles. They keep telling me it's a 30 mile loop but I can only ever manage 27 out of it......
Love these story's.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:01 PM   #31030
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
This is Stefan. His name is Stefan.

Harden the fuck up, Stefan!

Those rules are awesome and should he held as gospel.
Rule # 5 great rule.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #31031
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by fz6kd7 View Post
what is the better types of pads.. i don't care if i change them 2/3 times a year its not that hard.
Cork is for carbon hoops, wine bottles & butt plugs. Go for whatever OEM fits your pad carrier.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #31032
fz6kd7
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700 View Post
Cork is for carbon hoops, wine bottles & butt plugs. Go for whatever OEM fits your pad carrier.
i was curious never thought of cork as a brake pad.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #31033
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

You get the idea, though. Put a set of old Modolo sinterized rim-manglers on a bike with carbon rims and you won't finish the week without eating through the fragile composite.

So you need something gentle for the expensive carbon rims you'd rather not wear through. They do make decent garage art once destroyed.

I have alum rims and stock Shimano brake pads and they work excellently.

Good luck.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #31034
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by fz6kd7 View Post
aluminum.....cheap bike df
I kept hearing Kool Stop salmon pads. I've got a set on my LHT and they work better than stock but it took plenty of adjusting to get them to acceptable. That's more of a problem with the canti brakes though.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #31035
fz6kd7
Studly Adventurer

current brakes slow me down then its iffy on where i stop
i ordered kool pads got to be better

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: