User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 53 votes, 4.40 average. Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #31111
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,330
I realized on my 6:30 ride this morning that I really should get some lights - or a rear light at least. It wasn't super dark so I don't really need a front to be able to see with (but I will get one eventually) but I would feel a lot more comfortable with a rear light.

So....any recommendations

My first thought was something that either used regular batteries that I could re-charge OR something like a light I can re-charge with a USB cable ? My mate has one but it used one of those button type batteries and I'd rather not get into dealing with something like that if I can help it.

I have an under the seat bag so mounting it shouldn't be an issue.

Cheers
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:53 AM   #31112
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 17,825
Cygolite Hotshot 2-Watt USB Rechargeable Taillight

A great value - very, very bright. I've used them in all conditions with no issues.

Link

On flash, they'll go for at least a day. I carry a spare on my long brevets and have never had to use the spare. The one in use will last long enough to get to the hotel or control where it'll charge in an hour.

The mount is a tad wimpy but I've never had a real issue with it. The company will stand behind the product if there are issues. I returned one last year and it was replaced, no questions asked.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #31113
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I think your sandy environs play a huge part in your opinion of them. Heck, sand compromises a lot of stuff, once it infiltrates. It doesn't matter what it is. I think, in this instance, your situation is extraordinary.
There isn't any place in the country without sand. And what is there to infiltrate on a Look cleat? It's just one piece, not an assemblage of several layers of material and various springs and adjustment screws, like the Speedplays. That sandwich arrangement also depends on there being no warpage; if there is, the cleat spring won't open and close as it should. According to one of the technicians at a local dealership, that has been one of the most common problems he's had to deal with on Speedplays.

Quote:
I don't see how a simple clip, sandwiched between two other pieces, qualifies as complex.
See above.

Quote:
Up here, I pulled the cleats apart a couple times a year for cleaning. A couple drops of dry lube are all that's needed to maintain. I don't see how that's a lot of maintenance.
I don't need to take the Look or CB's cleats apart. I don't need to brush out all the accumulated grit inside. I don't need to lube the parts twice a year (more like twice a month in my experience).

Quote:
Likewise, I don't see how simply stepping onto a Speedplay pedal to engage and turning your foot outward to disengage qualifies as complex.
I didn't describe the process of cliping in and uncliping as 'complex'; that's your misreading. What I said was that they were more difficult to get in and out of than either the Looks or CB's. One glance at the locking mechanism of the Speedplays should suffice to tell you why that is. Everyone I've talked to about Speedplays, including people who sell them, has had the same experience as I have, including the manager of a local store who gave up using them for the reasons I've given. The only selling point of the Speedplays, he tells me, is that they allow the foot to rotate slightly, compared to Look and Shimano designs. Aside from that, there's absolutely nothing to recommend them.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #31114
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,161
Old 09-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #31115
Ridge
power 2 the pedal

Oddometer: 1,081
Well over 10,000 miles in 2 years on my Speedplay Zero S/S pedals with almost zero preventative maintenance performed or necessary. Also on the same set of original cleats that came with the pedals and they still clip in/out without fail. YMMV...
Ridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #31116
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,022
Well, the plan was to ride and not play hockey this season. Give the old body a rest with something less-- I would say impact but that doesn't fit here-- less beat the piss out of myself.

But I'm on the ice at 9:30 tonight. I suppose I'm junkie.

If my legs aren't too bad tomorrow or if I haven't lost any more teeth I'll see if I can put in another 30.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:08 PM   #31117
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
A great value - very, very bright. I've used them in all conditions with no issues.

Link

On flash, they'll go for at least a day. I carry a spare on my long brevets and have never had to use the spare. The one in use will last long enough to get to the hotel or control where it'll charge in an hour.

The mount is a tad wimpy but I've never had a real issue with it. The company will stand behind the product if there are issues. I returned one last year and it was replaced, no questions asked.
Many thanks Gerry
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #31118
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Well over 10,000 miles in 2 years on my Speedplay Zero S/S pedals with almost zero preventative maintenance performed or necessary. Also on the same set of original cleats that came with the pedals and they still clip in/out without fail. YMMV...

Not to mention my Look cleat cracked after what, 300 miles?

When it comes to pedals, saddles, handlebars, shoes.... YMM Will V.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #31119
fz6kd7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
well i found some cheap shoes with lots of holes in the bottom.
being a hillbilly i am ashamed to buy shoes with the holes already in them
and pay that much for them.
gavin elites from road bike outlet for 54$$$, looked like they have enough holes for several cleat makers.
fz6kd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #31120
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,978
for rear blinkies, I've used a couple NiteRider Cherrybomb 1W.

pros: nice and bright, excellent visibility, long life from 2 or 3 (I forget) AA (or is it AAA?). ahh. 100 hours on 2 AAA's in blink mode.

cons: the mount is a little funky, they can tend to rattle a bit. I ended up screwing mine directly to the tail of my rack rather than using their little clip, this plus a bit of black cloth tape strategically placed fixed the little plasticy rattle sound it was making.

re: those high intensity high power headlights like the Magicshine's. great for riding where its really dark and you're the only thing on the road, or night time mountain biking or whatever. Too effin' bright for riding in suburbia or towns, I prefer to use a smaller blinking white light for visibility, like the Niterider Mako series. plenty bright enough to be seen while still looking like a bicycle and not a motorcycle, and enough light to see where you're going if it gets dark.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #31121
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I realized on my 6:30 ride this morning that I really should get some lights - or a rear light at least. It wasn't super dark so I don't really need a front to be able to see with (but I will get one eventually) but I would feel a lot more comfortable with a rear light.

So....any recommendations

My first thought was something that either used regular batteries that I could re-charge OR something like a light I can re-charge with a USB cable ? My mate has one but it used one of those button type batteries and I'd rather not get into dealing with something like that if I can help it.

I have an under the seat bag so mounting it shouldn't be an issue.

Cheers
I use a Cateye 5 LED uses 2 AAA batteries.Bright ,battery last a long time.
http://www.jensonusa.com/Rear-Lights...d-5-Tail-Light
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #31122
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
Rode another 27. Second straight ride in the rain. Bike looks like rolling puke and I got a terrific Flanders Facial. I felt good, though, and I felt even better an hour after my shower.

I was racing the Tour of Spain in my head all 27 miles. I took Nibali in the sprint if you're keeping track at home.

My right look cleat is cracked at the front. Never seen that before. I called around and a shop not far from where I play hockey in the winter league and they had several sets.

The owner invited me on a ride Friday nights through the city. They ride out to dinner and then back. Usually about 45 miles on road bikes. Tells me I'lll need lights. I haven't had lights on a bike in 20 years. I don't know where to start. I told him I only have one ride, no Mtn bike, no city bike, no fixed gear messenger bike. He said they all ride flash bikes on these rides.

What do they do with their machines while at dinner, walk them into the restaurant? What about shoes? Questions I thought about about 2 hours later as I was riding. I don't want to show up in my pristine Lotto-Belisol kit with freshly polished shoes when everyone is baggy pants and Ed Hardy shirts.

The local shop I ordered the Look cleats from isn't even open on Mondays, so it'll be Tuesday at best for them. I suppose I'll have an extra. But for the record I could have had them from England on Weds for less money. Oh well, supporting the local, I suppose.
If you go back a few (bunch of) pages, Pierce ordered a chinese knockoff of a chinese knockoff and I got one too. $40 for some seriously bright light is OK in my book.

IIRC I got mine on ebay, but edealextreme seems to have em too.

Just do us all a favor and put yer blinky light on solid while yer riding with other guys. That bright ass blinking in yer face sucks.

Thanks.

I did 1:20 today easy to moderate. Getting the legs ready for some Tabata intervals tomorrow.

M
Old 09-10-2013, 10:26 PM   #31123
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
If you go back a few (bunch of) pages, Pierce ordered a chinese knockoff of a chinese knockoff and I got one too. $40 for some seriously bright light is OK in my book.

IIRC I got mine on ebay, but edealextreme seems to have em too.

Just do us all a favor and put yer blinky light on solid while yer riding with other guys. That bright ass blinking in yer face sucks.

Thanks.

I did 1:20 today easy to moderate. Getting the legs ready for some Tabata intervals tomorrow.

M
Thanks Gummee. I will look into it.

let me say this, my 1 and 1/2 hour skate that turned into a 1 3/4 hour skate is much harder on my body than my 1 3/4 hour ride. I had a couple goals and a couple big hits, but the thing that hurts worst is my back and my hip.

I think cycling is better for me when it comes to heart and lungs but hockey is better for the legs. Mine are completely knackered but it's all quad. I think that's why my hamstrings and especially hamstring to calve connection behind the knee hurt so much when spinning rollers. They just aren't used enough in my primary sport. And neither one uses the abdominals very well.

Keep your ride reports, such as they are, comin. It helps motivate us Freds and even some of us Adrians.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:48 AM   #31124
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,155
Evidently there's a stink being raised because TWO cyclists were seen taking leaks in public Sun. OMG! Say its not true!

Ban them!

Ummm what seems to be the big deal? Dogs do it all the time...

I've probably peed near pretty well every race course I've ever been to. Save the porta johns for the wimmens.

M
Old 09-11-2013, 06:14 AM   #31125
Ridge
power 2 the pedal

Oddometer: 1,081
Lights and visibility:

Something for y'all to consider, that is often overlooked, would be your visibility from the side and angles where you might not think. This is especially important if you ride in urban areas where you will be crossing intersections and cars could mis-interpret your speed or not see you at all since the lights are directed front and rear only.

I've invested in this little gem to alleviate some of the problem. No, it ain't cheap but if I'm placing my safety in the reliance of an electronic gizmo, I'll be a bit more free with my spending. Ride safe y'all.

http://www.lightandmotion.com/bike/vis180.html
Ridge is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: