Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 317 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 09-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #31306
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
look at the number of entries in the Americas cup; when that few can afford to even put together the equipment for racing, do we really have a forum showcasing good sailing?
(side note: i've been out there in a Whaler on race day, and it's interesting to see up close. but it seems odd to me that i can be out there on a small boat when the pinnacle of sailing technology can't play because a sailboat race was cancelled due to "High Winds",... )
top level bicycle racing has gotten to be expensive enough already that some teams/countries can't afford to play; i think we have a much better chance of seeing truly great cyclists when the cost of entry isn't so prohibitive. something along the lines of Spec Racing in cars (where equipment is limited to some common level) would be the most interesting to me.
I was referring to basic design elements. The UCI effectively killed a cycling segment with their ban but there are top level cyclists who are proving they can complete.

Quote:
speed and distance advantages of a 'bent? absolutely. on flat ground as long as the rider is willing to accept every bump in the road because they can't stand up through it or bunny-hop over it, and doesn't mind not being able to see over any traffic (and is less likely to be seen), and doesn't want to be able to shoulder the bike CX-style while walking a stairway into a bus or a train station where they won't have any place to put their bike on anyway,... i meant it when i said that a 'bent might be fine for some, but sorry, BTDT, and it's not for me.

cheers!
You are correct - there are some disadvantages but none of them are really significant. In the last two years, I've probably got 3000 miles in brevets alone in all conditions, terrain and in city conditions that range from LA to the hill country in Texas - from CO to Kansas. Nothing you listed prevented me from completing an event.

Have there been times when I wished I could jump over something? To be honest, with my forward vision..and here's the key for me: if I'm paying attention, I can avoid objects in the road. I think in my 1200-km events, I've had three flats total.

One was a goathead thorn, one was a gap between the road and a hotel parking lot that was at least 4" that I couldn't have jumped if I wanted to because I didn't see it and the other was road debris that cut my tire. That was about 30 minutes after the other flat and again, it was dark, I was tired after 3 hours of sleep and it was windy & cold. I filed that one under "shit happens" instead, "dammit - no bunny hop".

Different stokes - my lemonade is pretty good considering my neck issues.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #31307
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,342
Instead of 'diamond frame bicycles' can we just refer to them as 'real bikes'

Just taking the piss.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:50 PM   #31308
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
I went to Death Valley this year in April and it was nice to have a single cylinder 650 under me.

Quote:
nice. Death Valley Road, out of Eureka Valley?

cheers!
IIRC this is on my way to Chloride Cliffs. That was one time when I thought, hmmm, if I have a fall here it'll be a while before they ever find my body. I rode a lot of dirt there, loaded so I could camp here or there, and loved every minute of it. Can't wait to go back. I saw precious few cyclists there but I can't imagine riding with the changes in altitude. It went from really hot to freezing cold in 8 miles and something like 6,400 ft of elevation.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #31309
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,061
the defining characteristics of a 'bicycle' are 2 wheels, as in bi-cycle. its assumed they are human powered (although the number of those loud 2-stroke gas powered 'cruiser' bikes I'm seeing around town now make me wonder)
Old 09-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #31310
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
Instead of 'diamond frame bicycles' can we just refer to them as 'real bikes'

Just taking the piss.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #31311
fz6kd7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
[cue sound of reel screeching while hook sets and line feeds out]

i'll confess; i've always thought it kind of amusing about how quickly some 'bent riders get bent out of shape.
it's not like recumbents haven't been around for decades and nobody's seen them; but the idea that they're superior because they might do a very few things better than a standard diamond frame is just comical.
it definetly goes both ways its like dino vs synthetic threads or harley vs ujm
everybody has norms they like dislike and always there is mine is better than thiers
etc etc... to infinity.

bicycles are a simple design and they are hard to improve on after how many years after they first came out. imagine the uproar when they changed the large front tire and came out with rear wheel drive. it had to take some skill to ride the first ones[love to have one and try]. few designs so popular in use as the bicycle without major design changes, to me its changed configuration but not design, it simply works.
fz6kd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #31312
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 868
Rain today. There is something therapeutic about donning a cap, knickers and long-sleeved jersey then listening to the sound of high-pressure tires on wet pavement. It promotes a certain clarity of thought.

OTOH, play some Mumford and Sons in the background and you end up looking like some smarmy Rapha Continental wannabe douchebag.

Gotta take the good with the bad, I guess.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #31313
filmfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Group rides the good, the bad and...

I rode the Granite State Wheelmen's annual seacoast century today.
The ride is a treat for me since it's pretty flat compared to the roads I normally ride. It's also a very popular event, registrations are capped at 1500 and it usually sells out in mid to late July.
The ride starts in New Hampshire, just north of the Mass. boarder, goes south into MA, then comes back north and goes up into Maine.
There was a big crowd for today, since tomorrow's weather is calling for rain. (registration includes either or both days)

Even though it's past the regular tourist season, the roads have lots of activity from the beach-goers, and the last minute tourists out to enjoy the last bit of summer. Even with all that, there have been few incidents and it's been an annual event for the club for some time. There is a lot of police presence on the whole route, including a cop directing traffic in and out of the start point.

All good except for this year.
Not even 1/4 mile from the start, a southbound 20 YO driver crossed the centerline coming off a bridge that separates NH and MA, and collided head-on into a group of riders headed north, killing 2 and putting 3 more in the hospital.
I rode by the scene just a few minutes after it happened, saw people laid out, and the wrecked car, but didn't know the full gravity of what happened until much later.
No word on why she crossed over, but the buzz from some people that were there, was that there was texting involved.

Be safe out there folks, they are truly out to get us.
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:33 PM   #31314
fz6kd7
Studly Adventurer

seen that in the news, sad day
Old 09-21-2013, 07:19 PM   #31315
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,407
Me on the Bacchetta Carbon Aero 2.0 at today's Conquer the Coast 65 miler around Corpus Christi Bay.

Winds were vicious, but because of the reclined aero position, it wasn't all that difficult to pass and stay ahead of all the upright frame bikes.

Not terribly fast up the three major bridges around the bay, but smokin' fast everywhere else.

I was going to add the pop-up tv option but passed in favor of a power meter for the crank

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #31316
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,114
A recumbent crit could prove to be entertaining

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #31317
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,090
What to do in Portland for a few hours? Rent a bike of course. I rode the east and west waterfront loop. Thanks very Katz for that. The gloomy weather was quite nice.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
Old 09-21-2013, 09:16 PM   #31318
fz6kd7
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Me on the Bacchetta Carbon Aero 2.0 at today's Conquer the Coast 65 miler around Corpus Christi Bay.

Winds were vicious, but because of the reclined aero position, it wasn't all that difficult to pass and stay ahead of all the upright frame bikes.

Not terribly fast up the three major bridges around the bay, but smokin' fast everywhere else.

I was going to add the pop-up tv option but passed in favor of a power meter for the crank

Good on you!
Old 09-22-2013, 08:30 AM   #31319
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by fz6kd7 View Post
it definetly goes both ways its like dino vs synthetic threads or harley vs ujm
everybody has norms they like dislike and always there is mine is better than thiers
etc etc... to infinity.

bicycles are a simple design and they are hard to improve on after how many years after they first came out. imagine the uproar when they changed the large front tire and came out with rear wheel drive. it had to take some skill to ride the first ones[love to have one and try]. few designs so popular in use as the bicycle without major design changes, to me its changed configuration but not design, it simply works.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments. Here was a machine of precision and balance for the convenience of man. And (unlike subsequent inventions for man's convenience) the more he used it, the fitter his body became. Here, for once, was a product of man's brain that was entirely beneficial to those who used it, and of no harm or irritation to others. Progress should have stopped when man invented the bicycle.

~Elizabeth West, Hovel in the Hills
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:08 AM   #31320
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
A recumbent crit could prove to be entertaining

I might a dollar to watch that.

I want one Manayunk wall sized hill in it, though, so I have time to get another lager.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: