Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 238 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #31531
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,113
So no one here rode Six Gap this year?
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #31532
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
I could always try the helmet mount, I suppose, but damn it. I don't have a gray beard or a mirror on my glasses.
Just be courteous when someone calls your attention and you turn your head towards them. Instant blindness... amhik.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #31533
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Just be courteous when someone calls your attention and you turn your head towards them. Instant blindness... amhik.
Good point.

It was an 11 mile ride to the meeting point, so I turned The Beast off once I met up with friends. The sun has started to come up by then, so it wasn't necessary. I also turned off my red disco blinky and left the other one on steady. No need to send anyone behind me into a seizure.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #31534
filmfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Georgia wants to license bicycles

Don't know how many folks here follow road bike rider, but here is an interesting tidbit from today's newsletter;

CA Gets a 3-Foot Law; GA Gets a Caveman Bill
California Gov. Jerry Brown announced Monday he has signed legislation requiring California drivers to stay at least 3 feet away when passing bicyclists.

The state’s current law requires drivers to maintain a “safe,” yet undefined, distance when passing a cyclist.

The new law will go into effect September 16, 2014, with California joining 22 other states and the District of Columbia in mandating a buffer of at least 3 feet.

Meanwhile, proving that the fight for safer cycling will never end, three Georgia legislators have proposed a bill for the 2014 legislative session that would roll back existing law governing cycling in the Peach State (RBR’s HQ) and require bikes to be licensed like cars.

The proposed bill made the rounds this week and caused a stir in the cycling community for its utter ridiculousness.

Beyond an $80 lifetime license fee – including the requirement to have a license plate on your bike – the proposed bill would no longer allow 2-abreast riding and would limit “pacelines” to no more than four bikes in a line, with each being a minimum four feet apart!

My only thought about how such a farcical bill could even be contemplated is that one of the three sponsors of the proposed legislation must have been caught behind a group ride once when he was in a hurry to get somewhere.

Utterly ridiculous! Yet proving that cyclists can never afford to stop supporting local, state and national cycling advocacy groups – both in the U.S. and across the world.

Full newsletter here;
http://www.roadbikerider.com/current-newsletter
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #31535
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
Got to use my knock-off Cree light this morning at oh-dark-crap-go-back-to-bed. On high, this thing is insane. I'm glad that I put the beam spreader on it. That really helps to focus the light where I need it and not blind oncoming vehicles.

I wasn't able to find a mounting place for the light that didn't reflect light off of my silver gear cable housing, so that sucked a bit. If I stick with this early morning crew (just a couple friends that want to ride early once a week, not a shop ride or anything), I may try to come up with a better solution. I could always try the helmet mount, I suppose, but damn it. I don't have a gray beard or a mirror on my glasses.
I have the same problem on the ride into work. My riding position isn't great for a helmet mount so I put up with the glare. Maybe one of these?---> http://problemsolversbike.com/produc...y/light_mounts
Old 10-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #31536
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
I have the same problem on the ride into work. My riding position isn't great for a helmet mount so I put up with the glare. Maybe one of these?---> http://problemsolversbike.com/produc...y/light_mounts
Interesting, thanks for the link.

Not sure if that'll work with my roadie brakes, but I'll dig a bit.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #31537
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
No wonder I'm a bit overweight. I'm 1500 miles behind last year's pace. I think I'll go get some ice cream, that'll make me feel better.
I'm just wrapping up my first year as a born-again cyclist, and I'm already frightened of winter. I've kept my weight steady by compensating for my commuting miles with more beer

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #31538
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmfan;2247D
Don't know how many folks here follow road bike rider, but here is an interesting tidbit from today's newsletter;

CA Gets a 3-Foot Law; GA Gets a Caveman Bill
California Gov. Jerry Brown announced Monday he has signed legislation requiring California drivers to stay at least 3 feet away when passing bicyclists.

The state’s current law requires drivers to maintain a “safe,” yet undefined, distance when passing a cyclist.

The new law will go into effect September 16, 2014, with California joining 22 other states and the District of Columbia in mandating a buffer of at least 3 feet.
We have the 3 foot law here and it makes no difference. Some nozzles of douche will always disregard it and claim ignorance is a legitimate excuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmfan;2247D
Meanwhile, proving that the fight for safer cycling will never end, three Georgia legislators have proposed a bill for the 2014 legislative session that would roll back existing law governing cycling in the Peach State (RBR’s HQ) and require bikes to be licensed like cars.

The proposed bill made the rounds this week and caused a stir in the cycling community for its utter ridiculousness.

Beyond an $80 lifetime license fee – including the requirement to have a license plate on your bike – the proposed bill would no longer allow 2-abreast riding and would limit “pacelines” to no more than four bikes in a line, with each being a minimum four feet apart!
This is patently ridiculous. I routinely ride south of the border and ride many miles in north GA as part of my normal road routes. The good thing is I've only seen a cop out there once, from the town of Cohutta.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:17 PM   #31539
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
So no one here rode Six Gap this year?
Hey, DLDeano did the 3 Gap 50 a few pages back. It's not easy... unless you're on a motorcycle. Most Floridians struggle with all of those curves.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #31540
filmfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Yeah, we have the 3 ft law here too, but it seems like only bicyclists know it's there.
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:49 PM   #31541
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,608
Cyclocross Star Amy Dombroski Killed in Collision with Truck While Training

Well .....shit.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #31542
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC View Post
Hey, don't forget the 2 bridges at Ocean City!
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:20 AM   #31543
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Well .....shit.
Yeah, we lost a true competitor with Amy. Very sad.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:21 AM   #31544
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
+1

Always look down when talking to someone when you have a helmet light on.

M
Old 10-04-2013, 07:01 AM   #31545
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,113
Interesting article

What an RAF pilot can teach us about being safe on the road

http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/raf-p...each-cyclists/
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: