Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 321 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #31681
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodweiser View Post
eyelets? meaning what exactly? Mounts for waterbottles/racks/etc?

I'm thinking a cross bike might be a good idea for a couple reasons;
one being there are a ton of gravel roads in my area.
Yep. Eyelets for racks and fenders.

And, you live in a great area for gravel and forestry roads. I've ridden in areas from Cape Vincent, NY to Montpelier, VT. I try to stick to forestry roads, for travel, and try to avoid highways, when I'm up there.

You've not mentioned gearing concerns. I'd highly recommend a compact crank (with a 34T small ring) and a 32T to 36T low-gear cassette. I've climbed Mt Mansfield on 34/27T gearing, but, it was pretty tough. For your area and experience, low gearing will be a huge benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
Raleigh's Port Townsend looks nice with a slightly longer wheel base and head tube angle (compared to cross and modern road):

http://urbanvelo.org/raleigh-port-townsend/

Might be hard to find a used one, but it retails at $900...
Agreed. And, it's steel! Though, I've not seen just how much tire will actually fit (claimed 35mm). For me, 38mm measured has proven perfect for dirt and gravel.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:03 AM   #31682
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_Dwayne View Post
Shimano M520 is cheap and very durable, or the M540 for a few bucks more (essentially the same internals as the M520, just looks a bit nicer). Can't go wrong with those.
+1. They are neither light nor trick nor attractive, but they're tough and just plain work.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #31683
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
+1. They are neither light nor trick nor attractive, but they're tough and just plain work.
Are the guts the same between them? I'd heard that the 540 had better bearings but that could just be hearsay. I figure a set of either of them would be welcome in my parts box though.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #31684
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Are the guts the same between them? I'd heard that the 540 had better bearings but that could just be hearsay. I figure a set of either of them would be welcome in my parts box though.
I can't speak to the differences, I've only M520s on my MTB and one of my 'cross bikes. I regularly dip them in mud, coat them in dirt and bang them against rocks all with 210 lbs. of yours truly standing on them. Spray 'em off with the hose, put a drop of Tri-Flow on the moving bits and repeat. They have yet to give me any trouble over several years of regular use.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #31685
Bloodweiser
honestly

Oddometer: 2,580
craigslist find

$325

"This is a 54 cm Airborne Thunderbolt in very good cond. Aluminum frame, carbon fork and seat post and a full Ultegra 33 speed transmission. Silver with black lettering. Good wheels with 700 x 23 rubber. Pedals not included. This bike retailed for $2200 originally. It's about 9 years old but kept in very good cond. Wheels and brake levers/shifters have been replaced as has the cassette."

-- I know its not a cross bike.
But its pretty, local, and only like $200 over my budget
Bloodweiser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #31686
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,857
Quote:

$325

"This is a 54 cm Airborne Thunderbolt in very good cond. Aluminum frame, carbon fork and seat post and a full Ultegra 33 speed transmission. Silver with black lettering. Good wheels with 700 x 23 rubber. Pedals not included. This bike retailed for $2200 originally. It's about 9 years old but kept in very good cond. Wheels and brake levers/shifters have been replaced as has the cassette."

33 speed Ultegra?

Here, pull the other one.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #31687
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
So I have platform/SPD pedals on my LHT and I think I've finally come around - that bike is so much more fun with the bike shoes that I'm looking at getting some double-sided SPD pedals (the platform/SPD pedals will probably go on my hybrid).

Anybody have a favorite SPD pedal? For a 260 pound guy on a bike that usually weighs probably 38-40 pounds, weight is not a huge issue but durability is. I see some of them have "cages" on the pedal, do those help? The main thing I want over the platform/SPD pedals is cornering clearance, the only thing I don't like about them is that I am always worried about pedal strike. And no, I don't want Crank Brothers
I don't know if you are looking for Shimano specific, but.
I am a big fan of Time.
I have a few sets of these. One of the places I ride has REALLY sticky red mud (clay), and it doesn't even phase them.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...3&category=666
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...2&category=666
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #31688
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,070
Quote:

$325

"This is a 54 cm Airborne Thunderbolt in very good cond.
That a great deal if you are short.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #31689
Bloodweiser
honestly

Oddometer: 2,580
5'8", 32" inseam.

I'm getting too nerdy and obsessive.
relax...ride the bike you have...don't spend $ you don't...
Bloodweiser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #31690
Eugene
-

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_Dwayne View Post
Hardtail or full suspension?
Have you verified the cable housing is shifter housing and not brake housing?
End caps on all the housing ends?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Pull that cable from the derailleur and shifter. Ensure that it's not the issue. Just watching how the derailleur works while shifting is not enough. If there's even the least bit of drag in the cable, the derailleur will not properly index on the cogs. Keep in mind, the shifter provides the indexing points, the derailleur needs to be indexed on the cogs. The only thing in between is the cable.
Thanks guys. It's a hardtail hybrid road bike. I'll pull the cable and housing and check that out. Maybe the housing is starting to wear enough on the inside to cause drag. I didn't think about that. The housing/s all have caps on both ends.
Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #31691
Eugene
-

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
+2 on that. I've been using a pair of M540s for around 500 or so miles and have been happy with them so far. They just work.
Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #31692
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,070
Quote:
5'8", 32" inseam.

I'm getting too nerdy and obsessive.
relax...ride the bike you have...don't spend $ you don't...
For that price it's worth a look, especially if its full Ultegra. Go ride it and bring cash.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:21 AM   #31693
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,101

Slicker than it looks!
NoFilm Photography: Tacchino Cyclocross (2013) &emdash;

Link to the whole gallery if ya wanna look

M
Old 10-16-2013, 07:26 AM   #31694
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,282
Quote:

$325

The crankset appears to be standard road gearing (53/39) with a short cage rear derailleur, so I don't know where they're getting "33 speed transmission". If my I eyes are correct, that could be a bit tough to pedal on some of your terrain. Either way, it's definitely worth checking out. Closely look it over, even take a second person who may have more knowledge. As Monte said, take cash.

The brake calipers should clear a 28mm tire, possibly a 30mm. That sizing will allow for reasonable travel on gravel roads.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:34 AM   #31695
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,310
One for the weight weenies

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: