+1

+2

Not helping my desire for an Ogre

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:47 PM   #31787
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,664
Got in a nice quick ride today. Only had 1.5 hours so I had to be creative.

I was riding down a hill where I know there is a speed clock after a scetchy intersection. You have to slow way down for the intersection so you don't get hit, then hard at it through the radar..... I HIT 36 mph!!!!! I was so stocked. Then I got passed buy the car that was going 36.....

It was pretty funny.
mud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #31788
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Had one of those on my ride to work recently. It was after this short steep hill that sort of shoots you towards the speed sign. I got up to 25, which was the limit there. I think if I'd got up to 28 I could have made the cop lights flash

Old 10-29-2013, 06:15 AM   #31789
inyang
5secs away

Oddometer: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Back in the saddle this season. On a lark I did 20 miles of gravel trail at a 16mph pace. I feel pretty good about that. This pic is from a crossing of the trail & a back road.

Love this type of trail.

Where I live though, there will be a 'deep' water crossing around the corner! Both Port Harcourt and Lagos have large areas before mean sea level.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:28 AM   #31790
inyang
5secs away

Oddometer: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I'm pretty sure that what made the greatest difference was my ten pound weight loss.
I suspect skill and endurance improvements plays a bigger role. If you had lost 15 pounds with no training, will you perform better?
Old 10-29-2013, 07:49 AM   #31791
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by inyang View Post
I suspect skill and endurance improvements plays a bigger role.
I've done no skills training at all since I rode those trails a year ago. I had pretty much confined my riding to local trails, which are very easy by comparison. I have no doubt that my endurance has improved somewhat, but the numbers don't show a huge difference.

Quote:
If you had lost 15 pounds with no training, will you perform better?
On trails with a lot of climbs? Absolutely. Here's a video I made last year, showing part of the trail I was talking about.

You can tell from my labored breathing how hard I was struggling, especially while climbing up through the two rocky areas. I was completely exhausted. That's when I weighed 180 lbs. At my current weight of 171 lbs, I blasted right through it. I had so much energy left over that I did it a second time without even resting, and I did it at an even faster pace. If you look closely at the video above, you'll notice that my speedometer gives a reading of about 5 mph. My GPS data on that same section of trail from last weekend shows speeds ranging from 8-12.6 mph.

BTW, I just found a video of that trail filmed by Steve Mace, one of the fastest racers in this area. Like most racers, he's a stick insect compared to me. I can't say I was going quite as fast as he was last weekend, but it certainly felt that way.

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.

Aurelius screwed with this post 10-29-2013 at 08:09 AM
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:19 AM   #31792
mud
I just wander.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Had one of those on my ride to work recently. It was after this short steep hill that sort of shoots you towards the speed sign. I got up to 25, which was the limit there. I think if I'd got up to 28 I could have made the cop lights flash
The limit was 30 so I was really surprised at first..... My computer says I was going 28 though. Not bad for a fargo with 2.1" tires.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #31793
Bloodweiser
honestly

Oddometer: 2,582
Trainers:

It's getting cold and there's hardly any daylight outside the workday anymore.

What's the story with trainers?
Seems like a decent one can be had for $60.
Any words of advice, features to look for?
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:05 AM   #31794
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodweiser View Post
Trainers:

$60? Unless its used, it's probably junk. Good quality trainers are $200 and over. The least expensive ones use magnets to provide resistance, whereas the more expensive systems are hydraulic. The hydraulic variety run much quieter, but some of them can develop leaks. The Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer has a unique design which completely prevents leakage, and it seems to consistently rate at the top in product reviews. At $350, it's a bit pricey though. There's also another downside to fluid trainers, and that is that none that I've seen so far allow the user to increase or decrease the level of resistance during steady pedaling. They all seem designed to vary the resistance according to wheel speed: faster speed = more resistance. Magnetic trainers like the ones made by CycleOps allow you to increase or decrease resistance by means of a lever which clips onto your handlebars and connects to the unit via a cable. This is the one I have:

These don't leak or require any maintenance, but they are a bit noisy.

There is another type of trainer that uses a fan to create resistance, but they're the most noisy of all of them, and product reviews generally place them at the bottom. I've never seen these sold anywhere.

At the very top of the line are computer operated interactive trainers which use sophisticated computer graphics as training aids, but these are by far the most expensive, costing around $1600 to $1800, depending on the model.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #31795
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,726
Regarding trainers:

You'll want a fan of some sort in your face to keep you cool since there's no apparent wind.

Put something on the floor (and possibly on your bike) to catch your sweat.

Don't use a pricey tire on the rear when your bike is on the trainer. Trainers eat tires.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #31796
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodweiser View Post
Trainers:

Take the trainer money and buy some winter gear. Trainers suck, I'm already dreading ever using mine this year

Old 10-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #31797
mud
I just wander.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
here's also another downside to fluid trainers, and that is that none that I've seen so far allow the user to increase or decrease the level of resistance during steady pedaling. They all seem designed to vary the resistance according to wheel speed: faster speed = more resistance.
All you have to do is shift....
Old 10-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #31798
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Take the trainer money and buy some winter gear. Trainers suck, I'm already dreading ever using mine this year
+1

I'm already at half my trainer ride total from last year (2). It was ~50deg and rainy that day. I'm fixin to start doing 4 10s at work, so probably am gonna have a shit-ton of time on one of my two trainers by the end of the winter.

Misery loves company. If you can goat rope a few buddies to ride with you, it helps. Ditto with having a workout/goal for the trainer ride. JRA on a trainer? No effing thanks!

I got out tonite for a 1:15 ride up and down the W&OD trail. Went out 30-some min and back for the rest. Didya know its DARK out there? At one point, a deer was paralleling me. Kept running straight down the horse trail next to the main trail. Kept just in front of me. I was waiting for it to turn 90deg to its right and head into my path. Stoopit deer.

Ordered an Ogio Endurance 9.0 bag to replace the black Specialized bag I've been using since the mid-90s. I'm tired of trying to find black warmers, black shorts, black jerseys, etc inside a black bag.

M

Gummee! screwed with this post 10-29-2013 at 06:49 PM
Gummee! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:55 PM   #31799
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,976
Got a flat front 6 miles from home today. Was heading up a short and easy bump when the front end went all squishy. Opened the saddlepack and pulled out the spare tube. This happened to be the one I bought the day before the century in May when I was desperated and all the LBS had in stock was latex Challenge tubes. Uh oh. Installed it on the rim and noticed immediately that it was tight. Worked out all the kinks and put the Co2 inflator on it. BAM! Instant explosion. There goes $20 down the drain... and my way home. I walked across the street to a dog grooming business and explained my situation. The owner was between dog washings but claimed she couldn't leave, so I started hoofing it home. Half a mile up the road she pulls up next to me in her truck and tells me to put the bike in the back. She wouldn't even take any cash when we pulled into my driveway. And that's what I like about the south.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #31800
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,838
Layering

Just sayin

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: