Oddometer: 5,578
Wait... What?!?

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/a...duction-38898/
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:53 PM   #31817
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 857
My heart goes out to those of you already in winter's grasp. Me, I'm gonna be riding down to Chico tomorrow morning followed by post-ride food and libations at the Sierra Nevada Brewery taproom. Cheers!
Old 11-02-2013, 04:24 AM   #31818
filmfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions for shoe covers for riding around freezing. Not quite cold enough for neoprene socks.....
I like toe booties. Pearl Izumi has some that just fit over the toes of your shoes. The pair I have is from Performance, and have side pieces that go around the heel, secured with Velcro. For me these work well paired with wool socks down to around freezing. For lower temps I usually wear my rain booties, which are coated lycra rather than neoprene. I leave the zips open in the back for ventilation.
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:22 AM   #31819
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
As soon as I read "Chief Financial Officer", I knew where the problem lie; too much dead weight.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #31820
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,895
Two front flats in one week. That Kenda Nevegal wasn't even worn half out yet, but the sidewall has threads coming through it accompanied by a leak. I think all the rocks I've been riding lately killed it. Starting to rethink this whole tubeless thing. Its getting to be a hassle and it's costly. Of course, giving out spare tubes to other riders stranded on the trails hasn't helped either. I've recently made the decision to stick with tubes for the road bike after seeing what happened to my brother's Hutchinson last week.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:29 AM   #31821
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,620
i'd recommend rollers over a trainer any day.

with rollers, you actually build bicycling skills, not just strength for turning over the pedals. trainers do nothing for your balance, and little (if anything) for your riding efficiency as compared to rollers. (note how many Time Trialists train on rollers, and how many pros warm up on them before events.)

it's not nearly as boring 'rollering' as just blindly pushing on the pedals as you do with a trainer, because with rollers you're actually riding your bike. of course, the fact that rollers will magnify any of your technique flaws is their strength, and also the reason that some people don't like them.

rollers don't wear out your rear tire like a trainer, rollers don't require any dis-assembly of your bike or hold your bike in any bizarre fashion, and are actually enough of a training aid to your spin and efficiency that you can benefit from them all year 'round. (spend even a short time on your rollers then go out on the road, and you'll likely experience the sensation of riding on a rail you couldn't possibly get knocked off of.)

better rollers can be had with a wind resistance fan that increases in load with speed, just like real-world riding. Kreitlers are probably the best example (i know of,) as their fan has an adjustable intake port so you can vary the load, and the setup is designed so the air you're pushing against blows back on you for the benefit of cooling. (naturally, Kreitlers are not the cheapest, but you can buy just the rollers and then add on components like the fan. and they'll last you near forever,...)

cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodweiser View Post
Trainers:

It's getting cold and there's hardly any daylight outside the workday anymore.

What's the story with trainers?
Seems like a decent one can be had for $60.
Any words of advice, features to look for?

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:41 AM   #31822
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,620
i don't like neoprene socks much; i prefer a light cover that isn't going to cause all the sweat from my feet to soak my socks, because then those wet socks transfer heat away from the very thing i'm trying to keep warm.

i much prefer a light (mildly breathable) cover that covers my shoes and ankles, then just vary the socks (usually wool) to suit the conditions. (i can always add neoprene socks if conditions dictate.)

i've been using something a little lighter than this for ages. (the exact model i use doesn't seem to be available any longer.)

cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions for shoe covers for riding around freezing. Not quite cold enough for neoprene socks.....

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:19 AM   #31823
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes Shut View Post
Last week, while riding to work, my cyclometer went crazy and was registering speeds all over the place, going from 35 mph, to 12 mph, to 1.5 mph to 20 mph and so on. I stopped to try to fix it, but after some futzing it just stopped registering speed completely. So on the weekend I futzed with it more and got it to work properly.

The punchline: The cyclometer now shows my "Max speed" as 65 mph. So TAKE THAT, those of you that think a recumbent can't go fast!
Wireless? Riding under power lines?

M
Old 11-03-2013, 05:23 AM   #31824
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmcrcr View Post
but the only flat route isn't well lit.

Lights, lights, and more lights!
I've seen some twin lens battery powered lights, battery fits a water bottle cage, that are 'we light the night' bright enough, but it's been a while and don't recall where I saw them. It might have been a LBS, but could have been one of the national online retailers. They were not horribly expensive for the entry level ones, but ramped up in price accordingly to the depth of your pocket/length of battery life wanted/ brightness of the bulbs/ number of zombies chasing you. :)
check e-dealextreme.com

M
Old 11-03-2013, 05:26 AM   #31825
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post

with rollers, you actually build bicycling skills, not just strength for turning over the pedals. trainers do nothing for your balance, and little (if anything) for your riding efficiency as compared to rollers. (note how many Time Trialists train on rollers, and how many pros warm up on them before events.)

it's not nearly as boring 'rollering' as just blindly pushing on the pedals as you do with a trainer, because with rollers you're actually riding your bike. of course, the fact that rollers will magnify any of your technique flaws is their strength, and also the reason that some people don't like them.

rollers don't wear out your rear tire like a trainer, rollers don't require any dis-assembly of your bike or hold your bike in any bizarre fashion, and are actually enough of a training aid to your spin and efficiency that you can benefit from them all year 'round. (spend even a short time on your rollers then go out on the road, and you'll likely experience the sensation of riding on a rail you couldn't possibly get knocked off of.)

better rollers can be had with a wind resistance fan that increases in load with speed, just like real-world riding. Kreitlers are probably the best example (i know of,) as their fan has an adjustable intake port so you can vary the load, and the setup is designed so the air you're pushing against blows back on you for the benefit of cooling. (naturally, Kreitlers are not the cheapest, but you can buy just the rollers and then add on components like the fan. and they'll last you near forever,...)

cheers!
Optimally you need (to ride!) both: trainers do lots for strength and let you do seriously hard intervals on em and rollers do lots for spin and smoothness. Trainers are also notorious for allowing you to develop bad habits on the bike. Just watch people when they're riding. You can always tell the ones that go to a lot of spin classes: they're the ones bobbing straight up and down when they're standing up.

M
Old 11-03-2013, 07:05 AM   #31826
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,831
I took my friend Tom up to Santos mountain bike park yesterday to introduce him to all the Red (expert level) trails. Big mistake! It had been raining for several hours prior to our arrival, and these lime rock trails were as slick as grease. I lost count of the number of times I went down, though I could probably come up with an estimate by counting the number of bruises and cuts on my arms and legs. The shallow treads on my Maxxis tires, which are stupendous in dry conditions, packed up with wet clay in a matter of seconds, reducing traction to almost zero. I might as well have been riding on ice. Tom's bike was equipped with tires which had much deeper tread blocks, but even he was struggling. After one last Kamikaze run through the John Brown trail, we decided to bag it and ride the Blue (intermediate level) trails. The floor of these trails have a completely different composition, making them far less treacherous in wet conditions.

Feeling pretty dejected after the battering we'd suffered on the Red trails, I decided I wasn't going to have any more of that and put the hammer down when a couple of fast riders attempted to pass us. Apparently the huge increase in speed I'd experienced last week wasn't an illusion. Tom said he'd never seen me go that fast and stay hard on the gas without tiring out. For a while I could still hear the other riders some distance behind me, but then somebody yelled and the sound abruptly stopped. Tom told me later that one of them had gone down. We saw them both later at the trailhead, so apparently no one was badly hurt. We both agreed we'd be back next week and keep hitting those Red trails until we'd conquered them all. Let's hope it doesn't rain.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:27 AM   #31827
ericm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Warning! Wallet danger!

The Magicshine lights are good deals BUT they badly inflate the lumens and the build quality is not quite up to the expensive manufacturers. I've been using a couple of their 808s for the last few years. The biggest problem is the lousy battery mount- the batteries are just stuffed into a nylon bag with a velcro flap. They aren't water proofed at all and the bag "mount" is useless. I coated one battery in Plasti-dip to waterproof it and made some hooks so I can strap it to the stem with o-rings. There are some newer models with better battery packs.

There's a great comparison here: http://reviews.mtbr.com/2013-bike-lights-shootout

I recently bought a Light and Motion Urban 550 for low light use (it's not quite bright enough for descents in full dark). A number of riders here have been hit while riding the mountain roads I ride all the time, often with the classic left turn "didn't see you" familiar to readers of the Hurt report. The L&M Urban is small and light and lasts a long time on flash. I like it so much that I ordered a Taz 1200. I do enough night/low light riding that it's worth having a decent quality unit. The Magicshines will stay on the commute and rain bikes.

When I disovered dealextreme I also bought a bunch of LED flashlights that use 16500 (laptop lithium cell) batteries. We live in a very rural area and it's very dark at night. The flashlights are very bright and the batteries hold a charge for a long time.
ericm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:28 AM   #31828
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 1,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Wireless? Riding under power lines?

M
No, it's not wireless. It's an ancient Avocet. I think either the transmitter or receiver were not correctly positioned.
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #31829
Motocicletta
ridetowork

Oddometer: 501
Winter Setup & Rollers

Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post

cheers!
Bought these in 2003 replaced one belt, the plastic ends are no good since the belt grooves have worn through the plastic, the aluminum ends version would have been better.

One hour a day, good weight loss and good training, in my case better than cramming a 60 - 80 mile Saturday ride and a 30 mile Sunday ride.

Santa Monica, CA
'88 R100GS

Motocicletta screwed with this post 11-03-2013 at 12:59 PM
Motocicletta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:03 PM   #31830
surly357
Cochetopa dreamin'

Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes Shut View Post
Last week, while riding to work, my cyclometer went crazy and was registering speeds all over the place, going from 35 mph, to 12 mph, to 1.5 mph to 20 mph and so on. I stopped to try to fix it, but after some futzing it just stopped registering speed completely. So on the weekend I futzed with it more and got it to work properly.

The punchline: The cyclometer now shows my "Max speed" as 65 mph. So TAKE THAT, those of you that think a recumbent can't go fast!

65mph max- that's it?

surly357 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: