User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 319 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #31846
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,660
i've been using 25c Michelins on the Land Shark for a while already (they barely fit inside the Easton fork), and have been pretty happy with them on the [ahem!] well textured roads we like to play on in the SF Bay Area. traded wheels with a buddy on a ride a few weeks back, and he's looking for a set now to replace the 23c Contis he's been riding (and that's even though we both like Contis).

we used to use slightly wider tires on the rear routinely during the months when the roads were more likely to be more spattered with debris; you might enjoy riding with the larger tire on the rear.

FWIW, you didn't mention your weight, but i'm ~200lbs, so generally ride near the tires Max Pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
After 3 rides and 112 miles, I gotta say I'm impressed with the new Michelin Pro4 Endurance front in 700x25c. This tire rolls well and really soaks up the bumps. Still playing with pressures. The first two rides were at 95 psi and it felt good. Today I tried it at 90 and it felt just right. I can't wait to mount the rear after the current Hutchinson gives up in the next couple of rides.

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #31847
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,857
I'm thinking of going to the Conti Grand Prix 4 Season in 25c for my next set of all-around tires.

I've been running 24mm wide Hed wheels that spread the tire a bit more than a standard-width rim and even 23c tires are pretty cushy on those wheels and can be run at slightly lower pressure. Running 25c Gators is actually pretty plush for a puncture-resistant tire. Cornering traction isn't great, though, and I'd like to see if the 4 Seasons are any better.

(BTW, I'm 215lb.)
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:34 PM   #31848
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
i've been using 25c Michelins on the Land Shark for a while already (they barely fit inside the Easton fork), and have been pretty happy with them on the [ahem!] well textured roads we like to play on in the SF Bay Area. traded wheels with a buddy on a ride a few weeks back, and he's looking for a set now to replace the 23c Contis he's been riding (and that's even though we both like Contis).

we used to use slightly wider tires on the rear routinely during the months when the roads were more likely to be more spattered with debris; you might enjoy riding with the larger tire on the rear.

FWIW, you didn't mention your weight, but i'm ~200lbs, so generally ride near the tires Max Pressure.
Last time I jumped on a scale it registered 203lbs, so yeah I plan on starting at 100psi in the rear when I install it on the Roubaix. Max pressure on the sidewall is listed at 109. Most of the roads I ride (90+%) around here are billiard table smooth with pavement that is less than 6 years old, but it is the cracks and stutter bumps that get old in a hurry. Riders from the snow/rust belt would be in heaven if they went on one of my typical country road rides. Potholes? I might see one or two in 30 miles.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #31849
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,091
Got an email that looked like a scam: congrats! you've won a pair of WTB tires! Want anything specific?

Did some checking and it seems I *have* won a pair of WTB tires.

Good timing 'cause I was going to buy a pair. Asked for a Moto for the rear and a Velociraptor folding for the front.

I've run Velociraptor fronts before. They kick ass. Don't know much about the Moto, but the tread looks OK

M
Old 11-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #31850
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,280
Quote:
Riders from the snow/rust belt would be in heaven if they went on one of my typical country road rides.
I was.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:27 PM   #31851
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Old 11-08-2013, 06:17 AM   #31852
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Tabata intervals suck. ...even if you're doing em backwards!

Just sayin

M
Old 11-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #31853
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Good vid. I've seen several that advocate grabbing the top tube prior to putting the right foot down. Every time I do that, a near-faceplant ensues. That reminds me, I need to get a cup before starting in on practicing re-mounts.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #31854
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Tabata intervals suck ROCK. ...even if you're doing em backwards!

Just sayin

M
FTFY. It's what I'm going to spend the winter doing (cause I can do it off-street on a closed course).
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #31855
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Made it to work on the bike all 5 days this week despite dropping temps. I tell you what, it's been brutal out there. Not so much the temps themselves, but I just feel like I've been pedaling through molasses compared to where I was at at the end of the summer (though that still wasn't very fast). Don't even think I can attribute much of it to switching from my boat-anchor road bike to my hybrid. I think it's the wind... I can't ride anywhere without going into the wind...

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #31856
fz6kd7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
Wind sucks but it subtitutes for hill climbing

Without a resting point
fz6kd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:58 PM   #31857
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by fz6kd7 View Post

Without a resting point
My hope is that I'm going slower but getting better exercise. My fear is that I just fucking suck

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #31858
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
FTFY. It's what I'm going to spend the winter doing (cause I can do it off-street on a closed course).
Found some Gibala intervals too. 60sec on 75sec off. Repeat 8-12x

M
Old 11-09-2013, 09:21 AM   #31859
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by fz6kd7 View Post

Without a resting point
I was cursing the wind on Thursday when I passed an old lady walking in the opposite lane. She was walking with a walker (no wheels on it) uphill in the middle of the lane on a two lane country road. No doubt she was exerting herself more than I was, even though she was covering maybe 1 foot every other second. That encounter reminded me of my grandfather shuffling around the retirement community during the last few years of his life. From that point onward, I decided not to complain about the wind.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #31860
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,994
Quote:
I was cursing the wind on Thursday when I passed an old lady walking in the opposite lane. She was walking with a walker (no wheels on it) uphill in the middle of the lane on a two lane country road. No doubt she was exerting herself more than I was, even though she was covering maybe 1 foot every other second. That encounter reminded me of my grandfather shuffling around the retirement community during the last few years of his life. From that point onward, I decided not to complain about the wind.
With Nov comes an 8 AM start to our Saturday rides. Due to a certain football game which started at 10 AM this morning, I decided to ride to the start and then end the ride when the route passed near my house.

As I was riding over, I noticed at various points during the ride, old guys out for their morning walk. Most appeared to be well north of 70. I'm not sure why they caught my eye on this particular morning but they did. I recall thinking that I was lucky to have my health.

The ride was uneventful until we were within a half-mile of my house. A rider in front of me caught a piece of asphalt which kicked out his front tire and took him down. His girlfriend, a rather cute little gal with nice legs, went over him and then she went down.

I grabbed a little brake and managed to miss his head as I went by them. I yelled 'riders down' to the group and quickly jumped off the bike. I moved the debris out of the road and then checked on the riders. Both were scrapped up and the girl was holding her left wrist. I could tell she was in pain and pretty shaken up.

As it became evident that their ride was over, I rode home and got one of our cars. Unfortunately, my wife took the car that has the receiver. One of the other riders called her husband to come get their bikes and I was going to take them back to their car but the female rider couldn't sit up without getting dizzy. She had also hit her head pretty hard when she went down.

I talked to her boyfriend and suggested that we got ahead and get am ambulance. He agreed and I flagged down a passing Phoenix PD officer who radioed for the PHX fire department who had an ambulance there in just a few minutes.

They checked her over and then, due to her dizziness, the decision was made to go to the hospital. A car arrived and picked up their bikes and I came back home.

Oh yeah.... early 3rd quarter, Auburn 41, Tenn 23.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: