Kona Rove
Raleigh Sojourn
Raleigh Roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
Raleigh Tamland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Oops! Forgot that one. Curved, steel fork, FTW.
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll add those to the list.
Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:57 AM   #33062
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Just getting back onto the rollers after a winter of, well, general slackedness. I was reminded, once again, that watching pretty much any kind of motor sports (in my case, British Touring Cars) may, and in fact WILL, lead to falling of the rollers....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:39 AM   #33063
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,092
Legs are still hurting from yesterday's impromptu 'race'. It all started when someone, once again, decided to slip in behind me and draft me without so much as asking. This time I took the advice some here gave and accelerated hard to get away from him. I glanced over my shoulder and noticed he was far behind me, so I assumed he'd gotten the message. But less than a minute later, there he was again, right on my rear wheel. Once again I pulled away, only to have him catch up to me later on. That time he got close enough for me to have a good look at him: young guy, probably in his early twenties, body like a twig, but with muscular thighs. With a weird looking physique like that, I had no doubt he was one of the local racers. This got me worried that even though he hadn't been able to stay with me when I put the hammer down, sooner or later his youth and weight advantage would wear me out. The rest of the ride was a repeat of what happened before: every time he got close, I'd accelerate hard to put a lot of distance between us, only to have him catch up again once I ran out of juice and slowed down. Finally as we got close to town, he took a sharp left and disappeared down a side street. I was exhausted by that time, so I was glad to be rid of him. I've never traveled that fast on those sections of trail before. When I uploaded the data, Strava confirmed that I'd beaten three of my previous records, something I haven't done in ages. I only had a banana for dinner that night, and I'll probably do the same today. I can't turn the clock back 30 years, but I can at least get as skinny as these racers in case I meet another one.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:34 PM   #33064
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
They just keep going and going will it ever stop.Granted I love my 10sp to the old 8 and 9 sp speed stuff. I just figured 10 would be close to all they could do without dish and durability prolems.
Granted i have no experience with 10+.... Or even 9 for that matter, i am perfectly happy with my 8spd stuff... I only ever use 4 or so gears anyways.... My road bike is a 2x8 configuration and it works perfectly fine for me...no need for more gears...
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:39 PM   #33065
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Not to mention the cost i would incur from the upgrades to all new shifters, deraileurs, cassettes, and cranks on my bike....
Old 03-31-2014, 12:55 PM   #33066
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
Granted i have no experience with 10+.... Or even 9 for that matter, i am perfectly happy with my 8spd stuff... I only ever use 4 or so gears anyways.... My road bike is a 2x8 configuration and it works perfectly fine for me...no need for more gears...
No hills in The Windy City?

My typical Saturday morning ride is about 2.5hr and I nearly use the full range on my compact with 11-28. It's about 30mi with 1K' of climbing.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:57 PM   #33067
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

UCI approval should push road discs further into the consumer market.

As a Clyde on skinny tires, I'd like that...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-...-in-six-months
Old 03-31-2014, 01:10 PM   #33068
ericm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
For me discs on road racing bikes are just extra weight and more maintenance. Rain bike, touring bike, tandems, CX, MTB, sure. But not road racing bikes.
I do a lot of very steep technical descents and my rim brakes work just fine. And if you're bitching now about the cost of going 11sp then you'll hate discs as you have to start with a new frame and fork.

Discs are legal now in USAC road races except for the few that are held under UCI rules. (ToC and other UCI races, nats and maybe NRC races)
I did not see any in my races last year. Perhaps I'll see some this year.
ericm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:59 PM   #33069
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post

My typical Saturday morning ride is about 2.5hr and I nearly use the full range on my compact with 11-28. It's about 30mi with 1K' of climbing.
I have to work pretty hard to find 1K' of climbing in a 30 mile ride..... Mine are usually around 300-400'.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:12 PM   #33070
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post

On the south side (far south side...LOL ) only hills we have to climb are highway overpasses... Most non road riding is old rail bed thats been paved.... i ride a 11-30 cassette with a 39/52 crank... Sometimes it gets a bit interesting...like last yr when i rode iowa city IA thru IL/IN to grand rapids MI... The Mississippi river basin gets interesting when the lowest you have is 39/30 LOL you get some real muscle tone real quick...either from the climbing or walking....LOL i did no walking though...

On the flipside, i can rack up about 50-55mi in the same 2.5 hrs you can do your climbing 30....depending on wind speeds...
Old 03-31-2014, 04:11 PM   #33071
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Quote:
On the south side (far south side...LOL ) only hills we have to climb are highway overpasses... Most non road riding is old rail bed thats been paved.... i ride a 11-30 cassette with a 39/52 crank... Sometimes it gets a bit interesting...like last yr when i rode iowa city IA thru IL/IN to grand rapids MI... The Mississippi river basin gets interesting when the lowest you have is 39/30 LOL you get some real muscle tone real quick...either from the climbing or walking....LOL i did no walking though...

On the flipside, i can rack up about 50-55mi in the same 2.5 hrs you can do your climbing 30....depending on wind speeds...
LOL I bet. 28mph with a tailwind on the way out and fighting a 15mph tailwind home, right?

If I'm solo and leave early enough, I can add another 8-10mi in that same 2.5 hour. But my riding buddies (father-in-law and wife) can't get our babysitter (mother-in-law) to start the day any sooner, so we leave when we leave.

Late Saturday morning starts guarantee more vehicle traffic and the auto walk signals through the Orthodox neighborhoods as well, so that adds a bit more time.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:20 PM   #33072
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm View Post
For me discs on road racing bikes are just extra weight and more maintenance. Rain bike, touring bike, tandems, CX, MTB, sure. But not road racing bikes.
I do a lot of very steep technical descents and my rim brakes work just fine. And if you're bitching now about the cost of going 11sp then you'll hate discs as you have to start with a new frame and fork.

Discs are legal now in USAC road races except for the few that are held under UCI rules. (ToC and other UCI races, nats and maybe NRC races)
I did not see any in my races last year. Perhaps I'll see some this year.
I'm not bitching about 11sp or any other thing.

I'd just like discs on my next roadie. I think that with UCI approval, they'll trickle-down faster than they would otherwise and I can get them on my next plastic frame. Rim brakes work pretty well, but I'm a Clyde and I commute in steep terrain with occasional sprinkler run-off etc., and I'd like the control that discs bring to the table.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:21 PM   #33073
Rainmaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Quote:

Like YakSpout I have to deal with a fair amount of climbs on all my rides. When i see people doing rides at 20-25 mph averages it blows my mind. Here is my latest... 10 speed 11-28 and a front compact, and I use them all.

Rainmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:51 PM   #33074
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,427
I got out for a whopping 20 miles on Sarurday, before it started pouring. Felt good to be back on the bike. It's been a long ass winter...
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:14 PM   #33075
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,091
Quote:

When I lived in the Flat lands of Viginia Beach.Easy spin it would be 42/16, up tempo ride it was a 53/15,14 those were the only cogs I'd wear out.

Here in the semi foot hills a whole different story I use em all, and sometimes wish I had more.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: