Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 508 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 08-22-2014, 03:19 AM   #34861
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,508
Ooh! Like Mavic Zap!
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:22 AM   #34862
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by melville View Post
Ooh! Like Mavic Zap!
I had the first 2 versions of Zap and liked em.

...which is confusing 'cause I've got little desire to go all electronical or wireless

M
Old 08-22-2014, 05:29 AM   #34863
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
My legs are sore an hour later, my heart rate is hanging at nearly 90 bpm after I've washed down and dried off. Laying on the floor I try to cool down. My head is on fire from the effort.

A good workout.
Weighing myself after getting dressed I'm down to a new low. I'm nearing my next goal.
This is working.
Nice effort Head! Just like those Anaerobic intervals I have to do for sustained race efforts later. It sucks madly while doing them but I'm thankful when on the rivet in a race break and not winded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th-Elefant View Post

The lunch was large and lazy with lashings of alcoholic ginger beer, something we hadn't encountered for 800 miles.

Day 13:

You had me at Ginger Beer!

I'm on the other side of the fence. If I were to make the leap (get it... SRAM) to electronic shifting; I'd much rather it be a wireless application. BT, ANT+ and wireless technology in general has come way too far for it not to be a viable alternative. Fiddly wires rub over time, pull away from connectors, moisture creeps in to the connections... just too many little potential grmlins with a wired setup.

Yes, I know there have been many, many trouble-free miles on Di2 and Campy Electric but most of those riders are either supported or not pushing big, endurance miles on an electronic drive train in all manner of conditions.

I'm honestly more excited to see the real-world application and evolution of Shimano's MTB electronic drivetrain. If that can survive the rigors of banging off trees, rocks, et al... then I'll be more convinced and likely to pull the trigger.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:31 AM   #34864
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,821
Fairwheel bikes has done lots of nifty things w the XTR Di2. Check em out

M
Old 08-22-2014, 05:46 AM   #34865
inyang
5secs away

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
We woke to sunshine. Not a cloud in the sky. The first part of the day was a gentle ride up the valley to Drumnadrochit where we stopped for a light breakfast.
Nice trip report

You are getting close to the birthplace of Hot Shot Hamish. Heard he took up cycling post his football days.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:48 AM   #34866
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,779
This reminds me of the ridiculous power brakes BMW introduced on their motorcycles, only to abandon it a couple of years later. Even without the huge cost, the increased likelihood of failure, and the inability of bike owners to make the needed repairs, it strikes me as a solution looking for a problem.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:53 AM   #34867
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I can feel my arteries clog just looking at that.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:54 AM   #34868
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I had the first 2 versions of Zap and liked em.

...which is confusing 'cause I've got little desire to go all electronical or wireless

M
On the previous subject of demanding customers--I had a customer insist on installing Zap the day before the enormous (limited to 10K participants) Seattle-to-Portland ride. OMFW!

He only wanted the Zappy parts, but Mavic was only selling Zap with the gruppo at the time.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:10 AM   #34869
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,829
5th- Elefant, Love the reports.
My wife and I were introduced to pub breakfast in Paris down in the Miron at the Auld Alliance.
I was hooked.
Salmon, yum!

Great stuff.

Auld Alliance, and MotoGP:
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:32 AM   #34870
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

I put the final touch on my Roubaix yesterday. Typical under-seat bags look like shapeless, worn out socks. This hard shell Topeak bag not only looks much neater, but also more aerodynamic. I expect it will add 2mph to my top speed.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:54 AM   #34871
inyang
5secs away

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
This hard shell Topeak bag not only looks much neater, but also more aerodynamic. I expect it will add 2mph to my top speed.

Sorry to be bearer of bad news but I suspect the dirty air from the seat post zigzag will interact badly with the leading edge of the bag, too much turbulence potential there. You are looking at about 1.25W lost there.

Only way to come out even is to shave; legs, arms and the beard will have to be oiled and slicked back
Old 08-22-2014, 09:01 AM   #34872
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,829
I used to use a toe strap and Crown Royal sack. Tools, folding tire, two tubes, tube repair and some change all fit.
A favorite great aunt used to save the sacks for me.

Quote:
I put the final touch on my Roubaix yesterday. Typical under-seat bags look like shapeless, worn out socks. This hard shell Topeak bag not only looks much neater, but also more aerodynamic. I expect it will add 2mph to my top speed.

My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:43 AM   #34873
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,838
Quote:

I hope hornets don't fly out and bite you in the ass!!
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:24 AM   #34874
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by inyang View Post
Sorry to be bearer of bad news but I suspect the dirty air from the seat post zigzag will interact badly with the leading edge of the bag, too much turbulence potential there. You are looking at about 1.25W lost there.

Only way to come out even is to shave; legs, arms and the beard will have to be oiled and slicked back
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:36 AM   #34875
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

You guys are harsh, man.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: