ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 266 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 08-17-2014, 04:31 AM   #34861
Slimie
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: East Debon
Oddometer: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukeman View Post
Thanks for the Strava kudos Jenn.


Thanks from me, too, Jenn. Not sure how to reply via Strava...

I've been back on my bike for just over 2 years now, after a hiatus of nearly 30 years. And it feels GREAT!

Thanks,
-Simon
Slimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:39 AM   #34862
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,844
So Ridge, how was the new course?



M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:50 AM   #34863
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 22,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
check this out: 1991 worlds!

Barcons, clips and straps, and they're still hauling the mail
M
When was cyclocross invented?
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:52 AM   #34864
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
When was cyclocross invented?
right after the first bicycle races

guys realized they needed to train thru the winter to win in the spring and voila! cx was born.

1906? IIRC. The googles is your friend if you want to know specifically

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:58 AM   #34865
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 22,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
right after the first bicycle races

guys realized they needed to train thru the winter to win in the spring and voila! cx was born.

1906? IIRC. The googles is your friend if you want to know specifically

M
Didn't realize it was that long ago. That scene in the video where they were carrying their bikes up those steep steps was exactly like something I did as a kid, so I thought the sport might have been inspired by me.
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:01 AM   #34866
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,844
Its not *quite* longcat



M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:48 AM   #34867
melville
Beastly Adventurer
 
melville's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Oddometer: 1,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
right after the first bicycle races

guys realized they needed to train thru the winter to win in the spring and voila! cx was born.

1906? IIRC. The googles is your friend if you want to know specifically

M
It was a guy who went on an offroad ride that went poorly. Later, at the bar, he was called out on it. He bluffed, saying, "But it's great for training."

People who can't do anything sensible (ski, lift weights, move to an hospitable climate, INDOOR VELODROME) in the winter have been quoting him ever since.

Let's go over this again:

--You're on an offroad ride
--You put your bike on your shoulder
--You run with it

Has something gone wrong with your ride? YES, YES IT HAS.
__________________
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:24 PM   #34868
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 6,871
Interesting graphic Gummee!
I never ride wet trails, hiking, moto or bike. I worked trails back as a kid in the mountains of Colorado. Wet trail riding make s mess of them. 4-wheelers are my pet peeve for this by the way. As I grew up in an era where Jeeps tore trails to rutted bogs. There was zero thought of conservation. It was a time where everybody gave not a thought to what was going on. As I got to be a teenager it was a time when all the issues of environment were coming up. Trails and areas began to close.
Tough breaks for many brought on by earlier neglect.
It stuck with me. Years later riding my mtb up a trail I had to navigate deep crusted marks from horses and boots. Dried ruts and holes created when wet.

I never want to leave tracks. Though I do tend to sometimes leave blood.

One early opinion forming event was watching over a season as motos and 4-wheel drives transformed a once green hillside into a bare, rutted and eroded mess that lasted for years after it was finally fenced off and closed to all.

Once I'm retired and have the time I'll give up part of my season to trail maintenance with local hiking and riding clubs. If I still ride motos then I'll do the same with them. I figure that saves on gym membership and is a hell of a lot better than just piling iron on some chrome and picking it up.
Work and weekends of errands make giving up a day to volunteer a tough fit.
But, I should anyway.
Maybe after I kick the MotoGP habit?

THought provoking stuff.

Now, I need to think about how beat I want to get riding pavement today. As I've waited until it is bloody hot out.
__________________
...Dick
" It's not traction control, it's talent compensation" - Mark
2010 KTM 990 Adventure R
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:03 PM   #34869
2whlrcr
gooligan
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Dubuque, Iowa
Oddometer: 5,625
Mountain bike race today. 2nd place in Cat 3. It was a small mountain though, maybe 10 feet of total climbing.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:22 PM   #34870
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!
 
theMISSIONARY's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Devonport Tazmania
Oddometer: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Its not *quite* longcat



M
lol wtf umm legal to night ride......

that was interesting
__________________
Happiness is a warm barrel....i don't care if its the bikes barrel or the rifles barrel!

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:42 PM   #34871
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer
 
2whl-hoop's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Cottage Grove, the ragged edge of suburbia, MN
Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
We've been going there several times a week, and I really enjoy it. I'm going to turn 45 in a few days, so I'm not trying for the "biggest air" or "best trick" prizes, but it is fun rolling down the track and watching my boy cruise around too. My bike is lying on its side on the drop-in for the 4x track. It's probably a 10 foot transition, and the two tabletops in the picture are probably 5 foot high. There is also a pump track that is really fun to ride. They started building the park a year ago, and the plan is to keep adding to it in stages over the next year or two. It's an aspect of bicycling that I kind of moved away from with age: just going out and having fun on the bike! Definitely sharpens the handling skills too.

I put together a couple video clips I've taken over the last couple weeks. I thought the seat-stay camera mount would offer a different perspective, but I need to figure out how to mount it further away from the bike so you can see more than my calf :loll

Pump track then 4x-Cottage Grove Bike Park from Ben Hoopman on Vimeo.

2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 02:37 PM   #34872
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 6,871
"small mountain"
Awesome.
Story?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
Mountain bike race today. 2nd place in Cat 3. It was a small mountain though, maybe 10 feet of total climbing.
__________________
...Dick
" It's not traction control, it's talent compensation" - Mark
2010 KTM 990 Adventure R
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 02:41 PM   #34873
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 6,871
Sweet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
I put together a couple video clips I've taken over the last couple weeks. I thought the seat-stay camera mount would offer a different perspective, but I need to figure out how to mount it further away from the bike so you can see more than my calf :loll

Pump track then 4x-Cottage Grove Bike Park from Ben Hoopman on Vimeo.
__________________
...Dick
" It's not traction control, it's talent compensation" - Mark
2010 KTM 990 Adventure R
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 03:31 PM   #34874
2whlrcr
gooligan
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Dubuque, Iowa
Oddometer: 5,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
"small mountain"
Awesome.
Story?
Not much of a story. Except I thought I won and didn't. Two laps of a 5 mile course that was virtually flat with a few bumps. The trail was fast and flowing and it was easy to over cook a corner, but not really technical or overly challenging.

I was about 5th off the line into the woods. About half way through the second lap, I thought I had caught up to first place, who was a young fit looking kid. As soon as I caught him, he put the hammer down and I was barely hanging on. He over cooked a corner and I got around and he said "go ahead you can win" and seemed to give up. A few hundred yards from the finish I was catching another rider, but I thought it was just someone out warming up for a later race and I was leading. So you already know what happened, this guy had gone out hard and got away and he was slowing down fast, but he crossed the line about 5 seconds ahead of me. After the race the young kid said his legs were fried, because he had done the state road race yesterday and won the Junior championship. So I don't feel so bad, since I've got more than 40 years on him.

The other thing I noticed is the classification is completely different than it used to be...at least around here. I just got my license again after a 30 hiatus and I'm basically at the beginning categories at every discipline. I used to be a Cat 2 roadie, so when I signed up for the Cat 3 class, I thought I would be racing against seasoned riders. When I lined up, most of these guys didn't fit the hardcore, fit bicycle racer stereotype, but it was a mountain bike race and they tend to be lower key. Except for a few of us, we gapped the field almost from the start.

Turns out the old mountain bike Sport class is now Cat 2, but I thought there is no way in hell, I'm going to be competitive with a Cat 2 roadie now. I should have probably been in that class, but I'm sure I would have only had a mid pack finish at best. Maybe next time...
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:46 PM   #34875
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 6,871
Nice.
I never upgraded when I raced. I basically trained to drink beer.
Spent most of my time aboard the motorcycle as an official. The pay is a lot better that way.
When I hit the age where I could race vets all the vets my age were former Cat I or II's I didn't have much for knees left anyway so bagged the whole idea of ever racing again.
Now, I'm far enough off the shape wheel I am in no way a racer. Well, except in my mind...

Cool that you're back out there getting some fun in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
Not much of a story. Except I thought I won and didn't. Two laps of a 5 mile course that was virtually flat with a few bumps. The trail was fast and flowing and it was easy to over cook a corner, but not really technical or overly challenging.

I was about 5th off the line into the woods. About half way through the second lap, I thought I had caught up to first place, who was a young fit looking kid. As soon as I caught him, he put the hammer down and I was barely hanging on. He over cooked a corner and I got around and he said "go ahead you can win" and seemed to give up. A few hundred yards from the finish I was catching another rider, but I thought it was just someone out warming up for a later race and I was leading. So you already know what happened, this guy had gone out hard and got away and he was slowing down fast, but he crossed the line about 5 seconds ahead of me. After the race the young kid said his legs were fried, because he had done the state road race yesterday and won the Junior championship. So I don't feel so bad, since I've got more than 40 years on him.

The other thing I noticed is the classification is completely different than it used to be...at least around here. I just got my license again after a 30 hiatus and I'm basically at the beginning categories at every discipline. I used to be a Cat 2 roadie, so when I signed up for the Cat 3 class, I thought I would be racing against seasoned riders. When I lined up, most of these guys didn't fit the hardcore, fit bicycle racer stereotype, but it was a mountain bike race and they tend to be lower key. Except for a few of us, we gapped the field almost from the start.

Turns out the old mountain bike Sport class is now Cat 2, but I thought there is no way in hell, I'm going to be competitive with a Cat 2 roadie now. I should have probably been in that class, but I'm sure I would have only had a mid pack finish at best. Maybe next time...
__________________
...Dick
" It's not traction control, it's talent compensation" - Mark
2010 KTM 990 Adventure R
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014