User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 509 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 06:01 AM   #11131
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer: 3,047
I did a short ride on the road (20 miles) yesterday morning after a half mile swim. Then in the late afternoon I went on a ride on the Wabash Trace with my wife that was 10 miles, then to our daughters softball games. I need to get a small camera to take with me when biking. We saw deer, racoons, indigo bunting, and a large cat type thing that we couldn't get a clear look at. Probably a large bobcat, but the color and size makes me think mountain lion even though they are not supposed to exist in Iowa according to our DNR.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:52 AM   #11132
dtsv650r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
Well said... they have to be the most gimmick gullible consumers out there...
I call 'em Gruppo Guys, Tri Geeks ........ or just fags

...them aero bars and the way they have the saddle adj. way forward, the fuckers never pull in a paceline either WTF!

Buell Blast Cube w/NOX, PIAA's, Touratec titanium valve stem springs

Keep in mind they were called Jumpolines before your Mom started doin it
dtsv650r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:03 AM   #11133
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,832
I managed a 26 mile slog along the river trail last night on the mountain bike. That was all I could do. The last mile my calves and feet were cramping. That was even with my magic go-juice!

I got home and put my legs up and lay on my back on the floor trying to relax my legs, that were cramping now. Finally settled those down and showered.
My heart rate was still elevated at 3 this morning!

That was a workout for me.

So, after that experiment I'm calling my RAGBRAI attempt off this time. There is no way I could manage twice that mileage with ten times the climbing in a day and follow that with two more days of back-to-back 70+ mile days.
Too bad I really want ed to do this, but I have an old bad knee to protect.

I will keep up the training though, I still want to be able to ride all day and not die.

Maybe this weekend I can get over to Chino Hills State Park for a loop.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:55 AM   #11134
Bimble
In giro in moto

Oddometer: 8,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsv650r
I call 'em Gruppo Guys, Tri Geeks ........ or just fags

...them aero bars and the way they have the saddle adj. way forward, the fuckers never pull in a paceline either WTF!
In it for themselves the whole way. Bastards every one of 'em.

...A Cervelo P3 in my garage wouldn't kill me.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:05 AM   #11135
dtsv650r
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head
I managed a 26 mile slog along the river trail last night on the mountain bike. That was all I could do. The last mile my calves and feet were cramping. That was even with my magic go-juice!

I got home and put my legs up and lay on my back on the floor trying to relax my legs, that were cramping now. Finally settled those down and showered.
My heart rate was still elevated at 3 this morning!

That was a workout for me.

So, after that experiment I'm calling my RAGBRAI attempt off this time. There is no way I could manage twice that mileage with ten times the climbing in a day and follow that with two more days of back-to-back 70+ mile days.
Too bad I really want ed to do this, but I have an old bad knee to protect.

I will keep up the training though, I still want to be able to ride all day and not die.

Maybe this weekend I can get over to Chino Hills State Park for a loop.
Sorry to hear that!

A couple of things about your ride, did you drink enough water or were you relying on the "magic go juice"?

What kind of pace were you riding at?

What do you have for tires on that Mt. bike?

While there certainly is a lot of climbing on the RAGBRAI they're not steep and I'm certain you could find a group of riders you could hang with. I know 50 -80 mile days sounds daunting but it's doable at a pace thats compatible with your particular fitness level ie... you don't have to complete the days ride in 3-4 hours, take your time and enjoy the ride!
RAGBRAI has great sag support.

Almost forgot...... at the end of each days ride there is plenty of the best recovery juice ever!

BEER!

dtsv650r screwed with this post 06-18-2009 at 09:17 AM
Old 06-18-2009, 09:13 AM   #11136
dtsv650r
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimble
In it for themselves the whole way. Bastards every one of 'em.

...A Cervelo P3 in my garage wouldn't kill me.

Those are pretty! I think you could suck it up and put the damn thing in the living room though!

As an aside, there's a tri-geek here who recently forgot her P3 was on the roof rack when she pulled into the garage.... only part of it remained on the rack

Old 06-18-2009, 09:26 AM   #11137
DieWespe
Herrscher ohne Volk

Oddometer: 244
This might be of interest for some of you guys who remember how big mountain biking was in the 90s:

Missy Giove busted for marijuana
Old 06-18-2009, 09:39 AM   #11138
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieWespe
This might be of interest for some of you guys who remember how big mountain biking was in the 90s:

Missy Giove busted for marijuana
She didn't just get busted, she got BUSTED!

That was LOTS of mary jane!

Don't really surprise me tho. Lots of riders back then were 'fun' guys and gals.

Mr Head: you tried putting some Ritchey Tom Slicks (1") on that bike? How bout some 1.25" PBS specials? That'll help lots. ANYthing but the knobbies on there now. May also wanna go with something like a 12-23 cassette for the road 'cause sure as shootin, yer not gonna need the big cogs.

You can do RAGBRAI on that bike. I have a buddy here in town that's LOTS more outta shape than you are and she does it every year. Goes about boat slow doing it, but she gets 'er done.

HTH

M
Old 06-18-2009, 10:01 AM   #11139
JamesRRS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
I just want to say great thread. It's the only thread I'm subscribed to.

I've recently "restarted" cycling at age 40. I've lost 52 lbs in 11 weeks (also dieting of course) and it's hard to quantify how much better my conditioning has become. I can do half centuries on the road bike on gravel bike path. Next week I'm going to do my first two day ride up the coast of New Jersey while the family is baking on the beach. I'll manage a century before the summer is out.

I'd love to have a couple nice new high end bikes but just wanted to say, don't get hung up on it. I'm riding a 1984 Schwinn Mesa Runner rigid mtb, and a 1978 Miyata 610 road/touring bike. When I hit my target weight, I might reward myself with something a little lighter and less DUI-Bike looking.

James
JamesRRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:06 AM   #11140
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRRS
I just want to say great thread. It's the only thread I'm subscribed to.

I've recently "restarted" cycling at age 40. I've lost 52 lbs in 11 weeks (also dieting of course) and it's hard to quantify how much better my conditioning has become. I can do half centuries on the road bike on gravel bike path. Next week I'm going to do my first two day ride up the coast of New Jersey while the family is baking on the beach. I'll manage a century before the summer is out.

I'd love to have a couple nice new high end bikes but just wanted to say, don't get hung up on it. I'm riding a 1984 Schwinn Mesa Runner rigid mtb, and a 1978 Miyata 610 road/touring bike. When I hit my target weight, I might reward myself with something a little lighter and less DUI-Bike looking.

James
No Mountaineers in this thread. Thanks!

Only Hokies!

Seriously. Good onya. Ride careful! There's idiots out there (and in JM too!) that are out to get us.

M
Old 06-18-2009, 10:10 AM   #11141
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,679
I know there's a few of you here who also surf over to Dgrin, Baldy's photography version of this place. A friend of mine completed and posted an awesome photo essay on Independent Fabrications over there, check it out if you like photos and some words on small-volume custom frame-building.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:21 AM   #11142
Bimble
In giro in moto

Oddometer: 8,350
Thanks Doc! That track bike at the end is
Old 06-18-2009, 10:24 AM   #11143
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

I knew that the Fat Chance guys got laid off, but I didn't realize most of the original guys/gals had left. Times change...

I still would love to have an Indy Fab bike (or a Seven, or...) but the $$ required is out of my league at the moment.

M
Old 06-18-2009, 10:44 AM   #11144
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer: 3,047
Anyone else doing the RAGBRAI event this year. I know that some say they can't do it because of the hills, but remember you get to coast down a lot of big hills also. I think it would also be nice to ride the Wabash Trace for the first section and not have any hills at all. I am sure there are others here that have ridden the Wabash Trace and could get people from the Wabash Trace to Mineola (Thursday Taco Night Ride) and then on the highway roads to finish the ride.

Stay in Red Oak the first night, where my bluegrass/americana/roots accoustic band is playing on the hill by the water tower under the Chatauqua Pavilion from 4 to 7 and then I think we will have about 30 people at the house either staying inside in beds or on the floor and those that will be camping also.

Changed to Thursday as I must have had too much to drink to remember the date. I was sure I was in at Lewis Central on Tuesday night for softball. We had a southern boil at my house on Sunday and we had some Olde Main Brewery Beer on tap and it shows.

flip18436572 screwed with this post 06-18-2009 at 12:16 PM
flip18436572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:55 AM   #11145
dtsv650r
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip18436572
Anyone else doing the RAGBRAI event this year. I know that some say they can't do it because of the hills, but remember you get to coast down a lot of big hills also. I think it would also be nice to ride the Wabash Trace for the first section and not have any hills at all. I am sure there are others here that have ridden the Wabash Trace and could get people from the Wabash Trace to Mineola (Tuesday Taco Night Ride) and then on the highway roads to finish the ride.

Stay in Red Oak the first night, where my bluegrass/americana/roots accoustic band is playing on the hill by the water tower under the Chatauqua Pavilion from 4 to 7 and then I think we will have about 30 people at the house either staying inside in beds or on the floor and those that will be camping also.
Hey Flip, psssst - Taco Ride is on Thurs.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: