User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 311 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 04:02 PM   #11851
CA_Strom
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 2,176
After taking a several months off from the biking scene (life gets in the way sometimes) I broke out the Park stand yesterday and tore down my girlfriends mountain bike for a rebuild. Got the new wheels/tires mounted, cleaned about 10 years of gunk off the frame, broke the rusty old chain and got everything clean. Now it's just time to go through all the bearings/cables and get it built back up.

I forgot how therapeutic a few hours wrenching could be. I missed those trusty old Park tools that work perfectly every time..... Now I just need to get my arse out riding!
Old 08-03-2009, 05:00 PM   #11852
HillbillyNinja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,820
Ok, it's hot, my spandex is still muddy and stinky from yesterday and I think I'd rather eat cheese curls.

But, i'm going to swaddle myself in the stink and force myself out on the trails again today. At least the stink will motivate me to keep pedalling to keep myself upwind...
“I had rather be shut up in a very modest cottage with my books, my family and a few old friends, dining on simple bacon, and letting the world roll on as it liked, than to occupy the most splendid post, which any human power can give.” -Thomas Jefferson
HillbillyNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:11 PM   #11853
sixer
I suffer from Ainrofilac

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javarilla
I like 'em, but...

On a Salsa, with a Big Apples, and the Brooks B-17, a high cadence sets up an amusing bounce affect...

And while you'll roll over everything in comfort and style, you won't accelerate with much aplomb...

And, while you're visible from the side at night due to that nice wide retro-reflective sidewall, you won't fit in your average bike stand.

Rolling resistence is minimal.

You're quiet as a mouse as compared to knobbies.

I'm a fan.
I'll be putting them on a rigid bike too. Only mines a SS. I'm a heavy (read fat) dude so I'll have them pumped up pretty good. Did you find them local or order them on-line? (if you got them on-line mind sharing where you got them?) I need a smaller cog for the back too. Currently I'm running 32x20, great for the trails but slow on the road. I'm thinking I'll start with a 14 or 15 and get in better shape then maybe get a larger chainring. Thanks for your input.

Support your local Search and Rescue Teams.
sixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:00 PM   #11854
Javarilla
Escapee

Oddometer: 23,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixer
I'll be putting them on a rigid bike too. Only mines a SS. I'm a heavy (read fat) dude so I'll have them pumped up pretty good. Did you find them local or order them on-line? (if you got them on-line mind sharing where you got them?) I need a smaller cog for the back too. Currently I'm running 32x20, great for the trails but slow on the road. I'm thinking I'll start with a 14 or 15 and get in better shape then maybe get a larger chainring. Thanks for your input.
I'm pretty heavy, too (270). I run mine at 40psi. I got mine local (I live in Seattle, we're pretty much biketown USA here.) I have a SS29er that I run a 35x20, which is just a gear inch or too up from yours.

Don't worry about the size of your cog. Just ride.
Javarilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:10 PM   #11855
elchulopadre
Hairodynamic

Oddometer: 2,997
Bike Cases, anyone?

I'll get on about eight different planes within the next few months, all of them with the tri bike in tow. Can anyone suggest a good case for packing it up and hauling it with me? I've used a serfas case before, but found it to be a bit flimsy - and it often required more disassembly of my bike than I really wanted to deal with (then again, 62cm cyclocross frames don't really tuck into pockets).

All suggestions/experiences welcome
elchulopadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:57 AM   #11856
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchulopadre
Bike Cases, anyone?

I'll get on about eight different planes within the next few months, all of them with the tri bike in tow. Can anyone suggest a good case for packing it up and hauling it with me? I've used a serfas case before, but found it to be a bit flimsy - and it often required more disassembly of my bike than I really wanted to deal with (then again, 62cm cyclocross frames don't really tuck into pockets).

You checked REI? I think they have rentals if this is an isolated thing.

The one I sold at PBS was decent. That's been a few years tho

HTH

M
Old 08-04-2009, 10:11 AM   #11857
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchulopadre
Bike Cases, anyone?

Thule. Pricey but well-made.

Check with airlines first (hopefully you'll be using the same one for business) - baggage restrictions have gotten ridiculous. Not only do you have to pay extra these days, but sometimes it's not even an option - oversized baggage is plain old NOT allowed.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:16 AM   #11858
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIt
Thule. Pricey but well-made.

Check with airlines first (hopefully you'll be using the same one for business) - baggage restrictions have gotten ridiculous. Not only do you have to pay extra these days, but sometimes it's not even an option - oversized baggage is plain old NOT allowed.
When I checked a couple of months ago, taking the bike with me on the airplane cost about $50, ($250-ish) more than shipping seperately, (about $200, but more with insurance). In the end it would be a wash with the airline I was using and comparing some ground shipper with that V-shaped box RAGBRAI suggest.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:40 AM   #11859
NativeSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head
When I checked a couple of months ago, taking the bike with me on the airplane cost about $50, ($250-ish) more than shipping seperately, (about $200, but more with insurance). In the end it would be a wash with the airline I was using and comparing some ground shipper with that V-shaped box RAGBRAI suggest.
you're doing ragbrai? good for you man. I'd like to work up to something like that. i've heard its a great time.
NativeSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:21 PM   #11860
Crocodile Tears
The 906

Oddometer: 3,482
hey guys, i need some advice on a bike. I'm looking for something to use for mainly street, but with some light trails. What i will be doing is getting road oriented tires for a mountain bike. The longest commutes would be maybe 10 miles, although the weekends may bring longer trips. My budget is in the 400 range. I went out to the local bike shops today to have a look around and came back with these three options

Jamis trail X2 ($379)
http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik...railx2_bn.html
Norco Pinnacle ($319)
http://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/adventure/pinnacle/
Giant Boulder SE ($349)
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...in/2281/32125/

The jamis and norco have lifetime warranties and free tuneup for a year from the shop i found it, while the giant is one year warranty with year tuneup, but he is willing to swap to my road tires for free. The other shop coulnt give me a definitive answer at the time.

What are your opinions on pros and cons of each? I'm kinda new to the bicycle game so i dont really know the distinctions between each fork or deraileur setup. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Crocodile Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:08 PM   #11861
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmaki
hey guys, i need some advice on a bike. I'm looking for something to use for mainly street, but with some light trails. What i will be doing is getting road oriented tires for a mountain bike. The longest commutes would be maybe 10 miles, although the weekends may bring longer trips. My budget is in the 400 range. I went out to the local bike shops today to have a look around and came back with these three options

Jamis trail X2 ($379)
http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik...railx2_bn.html
Norco Pinnacle ($319)
http://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/adventure/pinnacle/
Giant Boulder SE ($349)
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...in/2281/32125/

The jamis and norco have lifetime warranties and free tuneup for a year from the shop i found it, while the giant is one year warranty with year tuneup, but he is willing to swap to my road tires for free. The other shop coulnt give me a definitive answer at the time.

What are your opinions on pros and cons of each? I'm kinda new to the bicycle game so i dont really know the distinctions between each fork or deraileur setup. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Mostly street with some trails thrown in = hybrid not mtn bike. OR if you wanna spend more $$ a cyclocross bike.

Road-sized wheels and tires roll better than mtn-sized wheels and tires no matter how skinny you get the mtn tires.

Alternatively, look into a budget 29-er. You can get road tires for em, they do trails well, and if you get into things more, you have a better platform for either.

HTH

M
Old 08-04-2009, 06:17 PM   #11862
sixer
I suffer from Ainrofilac

Oddometer: 1,220
Have you checked your local CL? If your on a tight budget you'll get more bike there then buying new. Just kinda scrolling through here I saw a few bikes that might work for you. Like Gummee! said larger wheels/tires will roll faster on the road then 26ers. If you can live with a single speed I'd suggest a Redline Monocog 29er.

Support your local Search and Rescue Teams.
sixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:01 PM   #11863
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon
you're doing ragbrai? good for you man. I'd like to work up to something like that. i've heard its a great time.
I was going to ride three days of it, but broke a few ribs and tore up my shoulder. Still can't lift my arm above my shoulder. Next year I figure to go if work, works out. I'll have plenty of vacation saved. And maybe I'll ride out on the motorcycle with the bike on the back. I'm not a big fan of airlines.
I'm not big on crowds, but since I was born there I figure I should go for it again. That would be my third attempt. The first ended with a return bout of pneumonia, and the hospital... That was 25 years ago. I spent most of that year recovering from two bouts of that crap, and nearly dying.

I figure if I can muster a few thousand miles over the next year it will be easy peasy.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:12 PM   #11864
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,462
Keep in mind, you just asked a bunch of heroin addicts what they think the best remedy for a headache is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmaki
I like this one best. Fork's a little hokey, but you won't find much better in that class. The disc brakes are nice. Lots of good upgrade potential here.

If you're keeping your pavement miles under 20 per trip, 26" wheels should be livable. If you're spending more time than that on the road, I'd try to get a cyclocross style bike. Still, we've got some awesome, awesome singletrack around here- I wouldn't completely give up on a MTB until you've ridden them.

A 29er is a good way to split the difference, but might be outside your price range.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:21 PM   #11865
Javarilla
Escapee

Oddometer: 23,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixer
If you can live with a single speed I'd suggest a Redline Monocog 29er.
It's what got me back into bikes.
Javarilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: