ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 142 votes, 4.77 average. Display Modes
Old 08-05-2009, 11:29 PM   #11881
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 9,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomiles
nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lame story
...Giove flew from her home in Chesapeake, Virginia to Albany County Airport in upstate New York, where she met an informant, who gave her a pick-up truck and trailer filled with marijuana....
damn, that stinks of entrapment to me.
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:27 AM   #11882
Cat0020
El cheapo
 
Cat0020's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: NW of Philly, Hoboken, Brooklyn, Jamaica
Oddometer: 5,273
What's the story on the bags of cash?
__________________
Mankind is doomed & Physics do not lie
Chances favor the prepared mind.
Cat0020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:46 AM   #11883
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Yorba Linda, The outskirts of the OC.
Oddometer: 6,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020
What's the story on the bags of cash?
Saving up for a CF full squish bike...
__________________
...Richard
"...the road goes on forever and the party never ends..." - Robert Earl Keen
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:28 AM   #11884
vfr700
172S
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Phoenix, Az
Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020
What's the story on the bags of cash?
Drugs and cash usually go hand in hand.
__________________
Phoenix, Az
vfr700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:48 AM   #11885
Flood
F5lood.
 
Flood's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Austria
Oddometer: 10,161
How practical is your bike?



http://fixedgeargallery.com/contest/...DavidMahan.htm


:low COG, convertible to shopping cart.
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:04 AM   #11886
Askel
Perma-n00b
 
Askel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Da UP, eh.
Oddometer: 10,450
Alfine hubs- or any internally geared hub for that matter. Anybody use one offroad?

I've been thinking of putting some gears on my SS29er for some "bikepacking" style touring. With sliding rear dropouts, it's a near perfect setup for a geared hub.

Lots of people swear by them, but the black box concept of them kinda skeers me a bit. If something breaks inside in the middle of nowhere, I'm not sure there's much I can do to fix it.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:12 AM   #11887
DoctorIt
vrooom!
 
DoctorIt's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Springfield, MA
Oddometer: 5,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel
Alfine hubs- or any internally geared hub for that matter. Anybody use one offroad?

I've been thinking of putting some gears on my SS29er for some "bikepacking" style touring. With sliding rear dropouts, it's a near perfect setup for a geared hub.

Lots of people swear by them, but the black box concept of them kinda skeers me a bit. If something breaks inside in the middle of nowhere, I'm not sure there's much I can do to fix it.
I ride with a guy who runs an Alfine on a Salsa crabon fiber frame, great rider. Every time we hit the super technical trails around here, I'm convinced parts are going to come flying out of the hub. And every time we ride, I'm proven wrong. This friend is no lightweight, 5'9", 185lbs, built like a linebacker, and he rides like a powerlifter. This summer he's destroyed a front hub, two sets of tires, and a bottom bracket. The Alfine has gotten one gentle "maintenance" and has otherwise been bullet proof.

So there's my testimonial, YMMV.

EDIT: Forgot to address your last part - we've serviced plenty of Nexus and a couple Alfine's at the shop this summer. None of them ever come in "seized". In other words, if it fails on you, you'll still be able to pedal home - not sure what gear (or couple gears) you'll be stuck with, but chances are good you will be able to limp home without too much issue.
__________________
Erik
Professor for hire.
DoctorIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:33 PM   #11888
Emoto
Sure, why not?
 
Emoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: SE Mass
Oddometer: 17,880
Hey, what do you guys like for tire pressure guages? None of mine go up high enough...
__________________
Eventual Master of the Obvious
2005 R1200GS | 2013 R1200GSW | SOHC4 208 | DoD 2032 | BMWMOA | BMWRA | YB
Proud walking jingle in the midnight sun.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:35 PM   #11889
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 9,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto
Hey, what do you guys like for tire pressure guages? None of mine go up high enough...
I have two pencil gauges, bought at the local auto parts places... one goes up to 120psi, the other goes up to 50psi. I use the 50psi one on my motorcycle mostly, and the 120psi one for my bikes.
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:46 PM   #11890
Javarilla
Escapee
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: 1...
Oddometer: 23,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIt
I ride with a guy who runs an Alfine on a Salsa crabon fiber frame, great rider. Every time we hit the super technical trails around here, I'm convinced parts are going to come flying out of the hub. And every time we ride, I'm proven wrong. This friend is no lightweight, 5'9", 185lbs, built like a linebacker, and he rides like a powerlifter. This summer he's destroyed a front hub, two sets of tires, and a bottom bracket. The Alfine has gotten one gentle "maintenance" and has otherwise been bullet proof.

So there's my testimonial, YMMV.

EDIT: Forgot to address your last part - we've serviced plenty of Nexus and a couple Alfine's at the shop this summer. None of them ever come in "seized". In other words, if it fails on you, you'll still be able to pedal home - not sure what gear (or couple gears) you'll be stuck with, but chances are good you will be able to limp home without too much issue.
awesome info!
Javarilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:47 PM   #11891
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee
 
flip18436572's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Red Oak, IA
Oddometer: 3,047
I use the guage on my park air pump. I have not found anything good for presta valves, so I use the park pump.
__________________
Do you like bicycles, running, triathlons, marathons, etc........ Go to http://www.friedquads.com and thank BALDY!!!!!
flip18436572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:05 PM   #11892
mac62
One more thin gypsy thief
 
mac62's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Royston Vasey
Oddometer: 4,721
I just picked up a Giant Kronos from a guy for $50. Uncertain of the year, it's in great shape, not a scratch on it. Needs tires and I wanted to put a set of flat bars on it with bar-end brakes and grip shifters along with some slightly wider tires than the 700x23c slicks that are on there, so I gave to the LBS and gave them a budget of $300 to make it the mashup of my dreams. It's an alu frame, very light.

Anyone have any experience or knowledge of this beastie? Little decent info on the interweb.
__________________
"Oh yeah? Well how about I just kick your ass?"

-Mahatma Ghandi, 1946
mac62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:06 PM   #11893
Maritimer
Bikeless Adventurer
 
Maritimer's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Oddometer: 177
Same here for the guage on the pump. I've just got a cheapie high-pressure pump from MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op for you non-canuckians)

But here's a question...my pump does not stay on the presta valve at higher pressures, forcing me to hold it on with one hand and pump with the other...not the most convenient pumping method.

Anyone have a good pump for presta valves that stays on the valve up to 120psi?

(I haven't read the whole thread, I only started reading it a few weeks ago!)

Thanks
Alan
__________________
Retired motorcyclist...avid bicyclist

The shortest distance between two points....is not the point.
Maritimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:12 PM   #11894
mac62
One more thin gypsy thief
 
mac62's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Royston Vasey
Oddometer: 4,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Road-sized wheels and tires roll better than mtn-sized wheels and tires no matter how skinny you get the mtn tires.
Very true. When I was stuck overseas for work, I spent good coin on the hybrid du jour at the local bike shop. It had fat slicks on it (equivalent to skinny MTB in size). Rode like I was towing an anvil behind me the whole time. Thanks be to god, someone stole the fucker.

Even the skankiest Walmart road bike will be faster/quicker. If you have a rough ride, true the rims a couple times a year. I don't think I would ever do another hybrid or a MTB for road use.
__________________
"Oh yeah? Well how about I just kick your ass?"

-Mahatma Ghandi, 1946
mac62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:38 PM   #11895
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee
 
flip18436572's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Red Oak, IA
Oddometer: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritimer
Same here for the guage on the pump. I've just got a cheapie high-pressure pump from MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op for you non-canuckians)

But here's a question...my pump does not stay on the presta valve at higher pressures, forcing me to hold it on with one hand and pump with the other...not the most convenient pumping method.

Anyone have a good pump for presta valves that stays on the valve up to 120psi?

(I haven't read the whole thread, I only started reading it a few weeks ago!)

Thanks
Alan
Mine clamps on from Park Tools. I can use either an adpater for SCHRADER or dircted
__________________
Do you like bicycles, running, triathlons, marathons, etc........ Go to http://www.friedquads.com and thank BALDY!!!!!
flip18436572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014