Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 501 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 01:56 PM   #11881
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas335
Well, I run into deals ALL the time. Great deals. I am an unpaid consultant for a small bike shop chain and sometimes they end up with stuff they just simply need to dump.

Currently they have a slightly used 08 Trek Madone 5.1 converted to Scram Force group and Bontrager Race Lite wheels. $2300.00

I also have a new Easton EC90X Carbon cyclocross Fork that was pulled off a display bike. $250.00 retail is over $400.00 I think.

New 2009 Mavic Krysirum SL premium superlight Road wheels, $950.00.

Demo bikes as well, the list just goes on. Bike shops have to make room for new stuff so they just dump stuff to get rid of it.
Unfortunately, yer gonna end up in the Vendors section if you try and post up what you just did here. SO... may as well post up in the Vendor's section! Just make sure you keep us updated! Make the prices fair, and I'll bet yer gonna have $$.

Oh, and with the demise of Chuck's (www.chucksbikes.com), there's a gaping hole for a guy like you to sell off closeouts. I'd do it, but a. I'm not there and 2. I don't have the access that you do. That's where Supergo got its start! Look at what happened to them. (went from one store to a chain all round SoCal, making LARGE $$)

HTH

M
Old 08-17-2009, 02:00 PM   #11882
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,920
Quote:
Well, I run into deals ALL the time. Great deals. I am an unpaid consultant for a small bike shop chain and sometimes they end up with stuff they just simply need to dump.

Currently they have a slightly used 08 Trek Madone 5.1 converted to Scram Force group and Bontrager Race Lite wheels. $2300.00

I also have a new Easton EC90X Carbon cyclocross Fork that was pulled off a display bike. $250.00 retail is over $400.00 I think.

New 2009 Mavic Krysirum SL premium superlight Road wheels, $950.00.

Demo bikes as well, the list just goes on. Bike shops have to make room for new stuff so they just dump stuff to get rid of it.
Flea market non-moto related part with a link in here would be better.
FWIW, I'm hunting for a size 58/large/xl(depending on manu.) carbon comfort complete bike.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:09 PM   #11883
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 2,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Unfortunately, yer gonna end up in the Vendors section if you try and post up what you just did here. SO... may as well post up in the Vendor's section! Just make sure you keep us updated! Make the prices fair, and I'll bet yer gonna have $$.

Oh, and with the demise of Chuck's (www.chucksbikes.com), there's a gaping hole for a guy like you to sell off closeouts. I'd do it, but a. I'm not there and 2. I don't have the access that you do. That's where Supergo got its start! Look at what happened to them. (went from one store to a chain all round SoCal, making LARGE $$)

HTH

M
Not interested in being the next Supergo but I hear what you are saying. Thanks for the candid advise.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:12 PM   #11884
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Not interested in being the next Supergo but I hear what you are saying. Thanks for the candid advise.
Neither was Chuck...

That's why he kept it small.

You don't HAVE to be the next big thing iffen ya don't wanna. BUT we cheap asses DO appreciate the finer things of last year's life.

M
Old 08-17-2009, 03:21 PM   #11885
elchulopadre
Hairodynamic

Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:
Just get some touch up from the LBS and you'll be OK.

AFA why? You triathletes are SO farging messy that the carbon fibres are gonna get compromised and real bad things'll happen. (that and if the carbon gets damaged mechanically, bad things'll happen faster)

M
Thanks. I'm off to the airport tomorrow to deal with the luggage claim staff. Wish me luck... 'cause I'm sure gonna need it.
elchulopadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:22 PM   #11886
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchulopadre
Thanks. I'm off to the airport tomorrow to deal with the luggage claim staff. Wish me luck... 'cause I'm sure gonna need it.
Yeah, I'm sure you are!

Good luck!

M
Old 08-17-2009, 04:30 PM   #11887
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,570
Quote:
I've been doing this for 20+ years. IME if yer sitting on the spot between, yer doing it wrong.

Either a. you got the wrong saddle to start with (and I've sat on my fair share) or 2. yer setup's wrong. Usually, its the latter not the former.

Are you KOPS?

What's the angle of yer knee at full extension? Quick rule of thumb sez yer heel needs to brush the pedal at the bottom of the stroke. (or if you like formulas .883 of yer cycling inseam)

When yer lookin at yer handlebars, is the hub in front of, behind, or blocking the bars? That's at a normal riding position for you...

There's ALL kinds of reasons you ain't happy. It usually ain't the saddle.

'Course, I like specific saddles: Turbomatics, Regals, Flite Gels, etc. I also fit on Aspides, but NOT on Toupes, Aireones (I have one for sale BTW), and Concors. The ones that don't fit don't usually hit the taint, they just don't feel right.

M
I was just bitching that this seat and I aren't getting along.

I hope you aren't suggesting KOPS is anything more than a rough rule of thumb and starting point.

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:57 PM   #11888
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by knary
I was just bitching that this seat and I aren't getting along.

I hope you aren't suggesting KOPS is anything more than a rough rule of thumb and starting point.
IME if you stray too far from KOPS and you run into issues.

I can understand the 'seat and I not getting along' thing. What are you riding now?

M
Old 08-17-2009, 09:01 PM   #11889
Javarilla
Escapee

Oddometer: 23,456
Taint? Did someone say Taint?

Hey, I've been wrestlin' with this problem of late, and playing seat games as a result, just curious if someone can shed some enlightenment...

Ok, I got a couple bikes, two are custom designed for my dimensions (I don't know how anyone can ride a bike whose nominal rider weight is 220 - those things are made of pipeline cleaners.)

I'm 6 foot, and weigh two TdF riders. ~270. My sit bone dimensions by measure should fit a 143 width seat.

Tried a WTB seat, can't ride more than 40miles a stretch with getting off the machine. Too much heat. Bought Brooks Swallows and the leather solved the heat issue. Can easily ride 60+miles without a problem. However, in centuries, I get the taint problem. Like for WEEKS afterward! Awful. Don't get any numbness during the ride, but BARACK ALMIGHTY do I have problems afterward.

Tried a Selle something or other. Same problem as Swallows. Taintalicious.
Shifted to WTB Laser. Same problem as the earlier WTB. Hieat buildup.

Shifted to Brooks B17, much comfier, great on flats, but not so good on long climbs. Numbing and such. And now to Brooks Imperial (which seems like it has solved the problem - which, with a 200k coming, I sure hope so).

I use pretty much the same geometry on all bikes.

I'd rather ride a narrower nosed saddle due to size of thighs. The WTB Laser and Brooks B17 cause a little thigh rub.

Any suggestions?
Javarilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:03 PM   #11890
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javarilla
Taint? Did someone say Taint?

Hey, I've been wrestlin' with this problem of late, and playing seat games as a result, just curious if someone can shed some enlightenment...

Ok, I got a couple bikes, two are custom designed for my dimensions (I don't know how anyone can ride a bike whose nominal rider weight is 220 - those things are made of pipeline cleaners.)

I'm 6 foot, and weigh two TdF riders. ~270. My sit bone dimensions by measure should fit a 143 width seat.

Tried a WTB seat, can't ride more than 40miles a stretch with getting off the machine. Too much heat. Bought Brooks Swallows and the leather solved the heat issue. Can easily ride 60+miles without a problem. However, in centuries, I get the taint problem. Like for WEEKS afterward! Awful. Don't get any numbness during the ride, but BARACK ALMIGHTY do I have problems afterward.

Tried a Selle something or other. Same problem as Swallows. Taintalicious.
Shifted to WTB Laser. Same problem as the earlier WTB. Hieat buildup.

Shifted to Brooks B17, much comfier, great on flats, but not so good on long climbs. Numbing and such. And now to Brooks Imperial (which seems like it has solved the problem - which, with a 200k coming, I sure hope so).

I use pretty much the same geometry on all bikes.

I'd rather ride a narrower nosed saddle due to size of thighs. The WTB Laser and Brooks B17 cause a little thigh rub.

Any suggestions?
You tried something like my Regal? Old skool but still ridden at the top levels.

I like mine.

M
Old 08-17-2009, 09:45 PM   #11891
CA_Strom
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 2,296
Quote:
Neither was Chuck...

That's why he kept it small.

You don't HAVE to be the next big thing iffen ya don't wanna. BUT we cheap asses DO appreciate the finer things of last year's life.

M
I was sad to see chucks go bye bye. He was local to me, and I picked stuff up right at his old warehouse in OC. I got the frame for my singlespeed from him, $45, for a tange ultralight prestige in a gorgeous natural brushed/clearcoat finish. Cash deal, no tax, no shipping .His site was a great place to pick up odds/ends for next to nothing. I always wanted to build up a low budget tandem from all the doo dads he had listed.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:50 PM   #11892
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Strom
I was sad to see chucks go bye bye. He was local to me, and I picked stuff up right at his old warehouse in OC. I got the frame for my singlespeed from him, $45, for a tange ultralight prestige in a gorgeous natural brushed/clearcoat finish. Cash deal, no tax, no shipping .His site was a great place to pick up odds/ends for next to nothing. I always wanted to build up a low budget tandem from all the doo dads he had listed.
I bought a bit o stuff from there too.

Oh, speaking of buying things... I'm headed to an interview tomorrow PM to be the manager of an LBS.

I'll let y'all know what happens.

M
Old 08-17-2009, 09:53 PM   #11893
Dano 407
One Man Wolfpack

Oddometer: 6,450
Quote:
You tried something like my Regal? Old skool but still ridden at the top levels.

I like mine.

M
I have one of the last perforated white Rolls saddles available (somebodies sale bin a long time ago) on my mountain bike. Those things are sweet!
Old 08-18-2009, 04:24 AM   #11894
elchulopadre
Hairodynamic

Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:

Oh, speaking of buying things... I'm headed to an interview tomorrow PM to be the manager of an LBS.

M
Good luck, man!
elchulopadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:41 AM   #11895
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,331
Quote:

M
Good luck M
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: