Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 239 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 12-29-2009, 12:43 PM   #12991
Javarilla
Escapee

Oddometer: 23,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLizVt

Javarilla, Hi!

... only done 200's on it ... You ROCK! Beautiful bike too. I have a soft spot for IF's. Mind if I ask when it was built for you?

Enjoy,

Liz
About a year ago. It's a magic carpet. I marvel at it every time I ride anything else.
Javarilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:04 PM   #12992
Bimble
In giro in moto

Oddometer: 8,350
Quote:
Bimble and Askel, Hi!

WOW! Both of your events are AMAZING! I read through the Race Bible for the Dirty Kanza, more WOW! Good luck to you both at each event! I might have missed your mentioning it, but are these the types of events you each normally do?

Ride on!

Liz

Askel's the racer. My events have been sprint tris and 5k running. My usual bike riding is simply wandering all over the country side. This coming year will be the first year I go out for an organized century of any sort, but the dirt-road rides appeal to me the most. I am no where near ready for a 200-mile race like the Dirty Kanza, but the Almanzo 100 is going to get a real close look. Reg opens in a few day and I can certainly be ready for it. Got new studded knobs on order for some winter riding in the mean time.

The Ragnarok sounds fun, Askel, but it is already full!
Old 12-29-2009, 01:14 PM   #12993
MsLizVt
pfft ...

Oddometer: 1,530
Just my thoughts ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thencamebronson
To those who are wanting to do or have done the brevets, what bike are you using?

ThenCameBronson, Hi!

I know I'm sort of rambling with a bunch of posts from out of no where, but yours is one that I wanted to answer for sure.

The simple answer is to ride whatever bike you're most comfortable on. That sounds a bit like a cop out though. Instead I'll share my experiences and thoughts with you. Is that ok?

My first Brevets were done on a Derosa Primato that I had bought from a friend named Andy Bishop at the end of a racing season. It has Durace 8 speed, 53/39 and 12/26. The geometry of the bike is basically full race instead of touring. This photo is a spitting image of it, sans a few decals, name, Look carbon fiber fork, and white seat.

The next bike that I rode was a Craig Calfee, carbon fiber, Tetra Pro, Campy Record 9 speed, 53/29 12/25, again a race bike geometry, similar to the bike below, just different colored fade. Both bikes were what I was riding all the time, at the time. I felt most comfortable on each of them.

From the sounds of what a brevet is, being long distance riding, one would think the right bike to have is more of a touring bike. To be honest with you, almost every rider in the brevets I did was riding a race bike. There were a few people, primarily dedicated bicycle commuters who rode on their daily bikes which had fenders and bags. The majority of riders, however, were on bikes that were 'fast and light', so to speak.

If you don't mind here are are some of my personal feelings about setting up a brevet bike.

A race bike frame is fine. If someone is more comfortable on a touring bike then certainly ride it. The debate about a longer wheelbase, smoother ride, all is valid, but the race bike geometry is good too.

Fenders, well, yes and no. Personally I wouldn't bother. If someone is getting rained on in a 360 mile long ride, the fenders are not going to do much about keeping them dry. There is also a statement here about rain gear. Sure bring it, you got to stay warm, but it's probably not going to keep you dry under the circumstances.

Racks and bags, only while doing the Boston-Montreal-Boston 750 miler over four days did I have a handlebar bag. In that case I wanted to have extra clothes on the bike, variety of food and water. In most of the brevets I normally stuffed my back pockets with food, jacket, tights, tools, tubes, and GU. Oh, if you want, I have a great story about GU on a brevet. Again if someone is comfortable with a rack and bag than by all means use it, probably a third of the riders did.

Shoes and pedals MUST be what you're comfortable in. Hot spots in shoes will happen if they aren't broken in. The first year of brevets for me I was using the old Look pedals and cleats, which I had spent ages tuning and adjusting for my knees. At 140 miles my right knee would be killing me no matter what I did. When I swapped to Speedplays I never looked back. Not a single knee problem after that. Certainly the pedals of today, by all manufacturers, have eased the rotation issue, pick what works for you.

Lights, lights, and more lights are necessary. One will be very glad they are required to ride with two different flashing rear lights on the back. In theory if one gives out you'll have the other as a backup, but we usually had both on all the time - one solid, one flashing. When riding along on an unlighted back road at 2 am Saturday night, just when the bars are closing, you'll be very hopeful that you're being seen from behind. Headlights are key. Two good headlights, maybe three, and even a helmet light are all good. Before LED lights were so popular batteries were the big issue. Some lights would last for four hours on a set of batteries. At that point you turned on the second or third light. The dynamo hubset lights were certainly a treat to use. Most people didn't spring for them though. Oh, speaking of batteries. There used to be thread upon thread about what batteries to use. One of the primary debates was the weight of a dozen AA batteries in ones jersey pocket. Oh my gosh, people would spend $20 on a set of four Lithium ( think I'm remembering this correctly ) AA batteries to save 30 grams.

Would you all like me to continue, or is this all old uninteresting news?

Enjoy,

Liz

MsLizVt screwed with this post 12-29-2009 at 01:21 PM
MsLizVt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:21 PM   #12994
Javarilla
Escapee

Quote:

Would you all like me to continue, or is this all old uninteresting news?

Continue, please.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:42 PM   #12995
Ken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 57,198
This "The Dirty Kanza 200" is over several days, right

The modern liberal is the stupidest human being to have ever lived!
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:59 PM   #12996
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:00 PM   #12997
Ken
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7

It'd be FUN over several days. One day, not so much

Old 12-29-2009, 02:13 PM   #12998
MsLizVt
pfft ...

Oddometer: 1,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken
Ken, Hi!

The winning time in two of the past three years was around 14 hours. The other year it was just under twelve hours. It looks like the 'cut off time' is around twenty hours, but it's not clearly stated. Maybe it's 24 hours. Starts at six in the morning on Saturday.

Frightening!

Liz
MsLizVt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:17 PM   #12999
Ken
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Ken, Hi!

The winning time in two of the past three years was around 14 hours. The other year it was just under twelve hours. It looks like the 'cut off time' is around twenty hours, but it's not clearly stated. Maybe it's 24 hours. Starts at six in the morning on Saturday.

Frightening!

Liz

I can knock out a century in the rolling hills of Alabama, on a road bike, in under five hours. Add a mountain bike, no drafting, gravel roads, and an extra 100 miles? You've got to be fucking kidding

Old 12-29-2009, 07:17 PM   #13000
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken
I can knock out a century in the rolling hills of Alabama, on a road bike, in under five hours. Add a mountain bike, no drafting, gravel roads, and an extra 100 miles? You've got to be fucking kidding
You could do it way under the cut-off...

(PS - the Fargo arrives on the 5th. )
Old 12-29-2009, 08:49 PM   #13001
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javarilla
OooOOOoo. It's gonna be fargo foto time soon.
Nah - you already know what they look like. I'll bet you can even guess the color.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:51 PM   #13002
Javarilla
Escapee

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7
Nah - you already know what they look like. I'll bet you can even guess the color.
I'm talkin' farkle vision in action...
Old 12-29-2009, 10:13 PM   #13003
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,701
Ms Liz: THAT Andy Bishop?

M
Old 12-30-2009, 09:51 AM   #13004
thencamebronson
Takin' a trip?

Oddometer: 733
MsLiz:
Please continue.

Javarilla:
If I didn't say it already, that IF is sweet.

While we are waiting, here is a thread on BikeForums that I thought was interesting:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...rame-with-pics
thencamebronson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:21 AM   #13005
sweetlou
small body, big balls

Oddometer: 1,064
Sorry to break up Ms.Liz's informative post-a-thon, but I have a question about peddles.

I have a 2008 Schwinn Fastback. Love the bike. Everything on it is stock, including some really dumpy LOOK style pedals. My left pedal spins freely but my right pedal seems notchy. I don't feel it when I pedal, but it wont return to the "ready to be clipped into/upside down" position my left pedal does. I have to manually position it with my foot before clipping in.

The bike has approximately 200-300 miles on it. I bought her last season.

The pedals are junk. I'm considering upgrading them... should I? Or can I lob some waterproof bearing grease in the pedal and hope for the best?

Thanks

Lou

[2009 KTM 250 XCW(e)]

[2004 KTM 525EXC] - Sumo build
sweetlou is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: