Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2006, 08:38 PM   #1
jimmy2020 OP
limpiador de ventanas

Oddometer: 971
easier tire changes - milling stock rims or replacing?

I've heard that changing tires is real diificult on the 950. Any recommended upgrades to ease the process? I've heard of milling the stock rim or replacing with aftermarket rims.
Also is it needed on front and/or rear, or is one easy enough that no change is necessary.
Jim

"the adrenaline and stress of an adventure are better than a thousand peaceful days"
jimmy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 09:12 AM   #2
idahoskiguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,084
The tires on the 950 are no harder to change than any other stuff walled off road tire on any other bike, they are not easy. If you have not done this in the past get someone to show you how and have the correct tools. It is something you should know how it do, and practice will give you the confidence to perform the task in the field, should the need arise.

Good Luck.
idahoskiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:23 AM   #3
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,531
i think a narrower sun or excel rear is way easier than trying with the stocker
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 02:23 PM   #4
katoosh
Catch&Release Wild Trout

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahoskiguy
The tires on the 950 are no harder to change than any other stuff walled off road tire on any other bike, they are not easy. If you have not done this in the past get someone to show you how and have the correct tools. It is something you should know how it do, and practice will give you the confidence to perform the task in the field, should the need arise.

Good Luck.
+1

There are many reasons to change rims, facilitating tire change is low on that list. I've broken bead on 950 rear tire rear tire using the famous kickstand method many times--always solo. It works like a charm.

"I've heard", or "I've read", are both great, but no replacement for experience. I'd definitely have a go at it before dropping many hundred dollars on a solution YOU may not need.
katoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 02:44 PM   #5
jhank
not too gnarly adventurer

Oddometer: 220
I'm in my 100 degree garage, swapping out the TKC's for the Scorps for some road ridin'. As I stand there catching my breath and cleaning the sweat off my glasses, it occurs to me that when the time comes and I do this in the dirt and rocks by the side of the road I'm gonna be risking some damage to the hubs and discs while wrestling with these monsters.

In the garage I'm kepping the hub ends and discs off the floor with some short pieces of 2x4. Anybody have recommendations for keeping the fragile bits from becoming to dinged up while on the side of the road?

Btw, the sidestand bead-breaking method works.
jhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 03:21 PM   #6
jsrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhank
the sidestand bead-breaking method works.
I have a really, really stupid question: how do you put the bike on the sidestand with the rear wheel off? Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't visualize this technique.
jsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 05:30 PM   #7
TipOver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Put on centerstand

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrider
I have a really, really stupid question: how do you put the bike on the sidestand with the rear wheel off? Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't visualize this technique.
You put the bike on the centerstand first then remove the wheel. Lay the wheel on the ground, deploy sidestand, carefully lean the bike so sidestand breaks the bead (don't forget remove the valve first). Do a search, there is a thread w/ photo's in the Orange Crush forum.
TipOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 05:56 PM   #8
Mouse
I'm only smelly

Oddometer: 8,851
i've added stuff on bead breaking to the links thread that is the first thread on this forum.

“It is better to stir up a question without deciding it than to decide it without stirring it up”
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 06:24 PM   #9
jsrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by TipOver
You put the bike on the centerstand first then remove the wheel. Lay the wheel on the ground, deploy sidestand, carefully lean the bike so sidestand breaks the bead (don't forget remove the valve first). Do a search, there is a thread w/ photo's in the Orange Crush forum.
Got it. Thanks. I've read various references to this technique before but I've never seen an explanation or photo.
jsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 06:43 PM   #10
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,604

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhank
Anybody have recommendations for keeping the fragile bits from becoming to dinged up while on the side of the road?
Maybe a smaller diameter inner tube dedicated to the task? Try one an inch smaller than the wheel diameter. A tube will blow up pretty big without a tire around it. That should be enough clearance for the rotors and such.

- Jim

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:36 PM   #11
Fred
Banned

Oddometer: 1,051
Instead of fucking around with the sidestand, it's a tube tire ffs. All you have to do is either ride the bike or walk beside it while in first gear. The bead will break.

You guys never own dirt bikes before or what?
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:58 PM   #12
Mouse
I'm only smelly

Oddometer: 8,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred
Instead of fucking around with the sidestand, it's a tube tire ffs. All you have to do is either ride the bike or walk beside it while in first gear. The bead will break.

nice one fred, you might own a dirt bike but you clearly don't own a 9x0.

The bead is one mother to break - I've ridden 30 miles fully laden with a flat rear at up to 40mph and it still didn't break the bead, spin the tyre etc etc

First gear walking beside it eh? I want photos!!!!

“It is better to stir up a question without deciding it than to decide it without stirring it up”
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:31 PM   #13
XTreme
Mucho Macho

Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred

Where's that can of WD40 you borrowed off me 5 years ago? And I want my Butler back as well!
Old 07-14-2006, 01:51 AM   #14
Buckster
Banned

Oddometer: 1,003
He may have a point but the speed needs to be up, I did 70 in the wet on the motorway on a flat reat tyre on a 640 and it broke the bead no problem.
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 06:56 AM   #15
VintageThumper
Gotta ride!

Oddometer: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse
The bead is one mother to break - I've ridden 30 miles fully laden with a flat rear at up to 40mph and it still didn't break the bead, spin the tyre etc etc
So... Given that it's so damn hard to break the bead on these things, does removing that extra, bead supporting, ridge on the rim make it easier?