Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2006, 11:24 AM   #46
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmnate
Now that's a great story! Thanks.

About the wheel. I ground down some of the bead holder (~8") and will be testing it out shortly. I will post with the results. Once I have the bead broken, the tire is just like any other tire.
Post pics of your works also....thanks!
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:16 PM   #47
Conner
Charlie Ringo

Oddometer: 309
See Woody...

Only had one flat in 250K miles, but that was enough to convince me to go tubeless. Woody (Chris actually) built me a Sun rimmed rear wheel. Kept the tube up front, stayed with stock sizes. A true work of art.

Conner in Sacramento
Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:45 PM   #48
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
anyone know what this is or where to get it

MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:57 PM   #49
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,449
I dont think Dale's selling them any more. Its the best method out there, IMO. I used one in Baja, twice. Super Easy.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...cool+tire+tool

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:32 AM   #50
Jabberwocky
950 Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works
BTW,,,at WWW we modify the bead 4-5 inches at the valve stem,,,not that it matters,,,as long as YOU know where it was modified,,,:
Hmmmnnnn - I'm a bit puzzled.

It must be easier to break the bead opposite the valve, then lever the tyre over the rim at the valve - because the tyre will drop futher into the rim well opposite the valve. The other way around, surely the valve area on the tube will stop the tyre going as deep into the well.

Now I'm confused after writing that - am I right or not?

If I'm right, it'd be better to mod the rim opposite the valve, wouldn't it?

Or, have I got this all mixed-up?

Jabberwocky
Jabberwocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:45 AM   #51
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,698
i have a limited frame of reference but i don't see the difficulty in changing 950 tires.

i pinched a tube the last time i did my rear but i was in a hurry and not paying attention.

what tires are people changing prior to the 950 that leads them to think the task is so difficult?

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:56 AM   #52
LKN4DRT
Mended

Oddometer: 714
Relieving near the stem just makes it easy to remember where it is. Once the bead is broken you can start removal anyplace you like. If it's really tight I get a buddy to stand on the tire while I put an iron on either side of the valve stem. I like these combo tools for their light weight.
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/...6_combo_lever/
Four five O
Five O O
LKN4DRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 01:43 PM   #53
ktmnate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKN4DRT
Relieving near the stem just makes it easy to remember where it is. Once the bead is broken you can start removal anyplace you like. If it's really tight I get a buddy to stand on the tire while I put an iron on either side of the valve stem. I like these combo tools for their light weight.
I did mine opposite the valve stem. I can still remember where it is.

Nate

ps -just about two weeks out before I test mine out. and Yes, I will post results and pix.
ktmnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:43 PM   #54
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,319
here's what matters,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
Hmmmnnnn - I'm a bit puzzled.

It must be easier to break the bead opposite the valve, then lever the tyre over the rim at the valve - because the tyre will drop futher into the rim well opposite the valve. The other way around, surely the valve area on the tube will stop the tyre going as deep into the well.

Now I'm confused after writing that - am I right or not?

If I'm right, it'd be better to mod the rim opposite the valve, wouldn't it?

Or, have I got this all mixed-up?
it does NOT matter where you modify the rim,,,as long as YOU know where ya did it or where it was modified.....the point is to first break the bead ,,then ya push down and bust the bead the remainder of the way,,,,

it DOES matter where ya start to spoon the tire off the rim,,,,in the case of the LC-4s and 8s without rim locks,,the better choice is to start spoonoing it at the valve stem,,,cuz like ya noticed,,,the place that will give your tire the most slack will be opposite the valve stem
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:29 AM   #55
Nillbymouth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Well, I said I'd report back after trying various things, and I'm glad to say that tyre changes are no longer a problem!

No matter how much I tried, and soaking the thing in WD40, there was no way that the bead was going to break using the sidestand. To initially break the bead it took 4 (yes, Four) G-Clamps.

Tyre off, my first surprise was that the bead was only 2.2mm high! I was expecting at least 3 times that! Used a bench grinder to reduce the bead to about 1mm on each side for a length of about 5inch.

After refitting, I still couldn't get it to break the bead with the sidestand although it only took 2 G-Clamps this time - I probably could have managed with 1 but couldn't be bothered struggling too much. I didn't want to remove the bead altogether unless I really had to, so refitted the tyre and decided to try again later.

By this time I'd run out of WD40 so tried Washing Up liquid instead. Using sidestand, POP!, immediately broke the bead, easily. I guess washing up liquid is much more slippery.

I know Washing Up liquid is not the best of things for alloy but this is for emergencies only and will, hopefully, only be used once every few years.
Nillbymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 08:43 AM   #56
kitjv
"Old Guys Rule"!

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillbymouth
By this time I'd run out of WD40 so tried Washing Up liquid instead. Using sidestand, POP!, immediately broke the bead, easily. I guess washing up liquid is much more slippery.

I know Washing Up liquid is not the best of things for alloy but this is for emergencies only and will, hopefully, only be used once every few years.
I know that folks have had varying experiences with breaking the bead, but I found that RuGlide tire lubricant (purchased from Napa stores)enabled me to break the bead using a Bead Popper (i.e. plastic chisel) & a couple of whacks with a hammer. After removing the valve stem, I gently pryed the edge of the tire from the rim & brushed RuGlyde into the gap. I did this all around the rim. Maybe I just have good Karma, but breaking the bead was simple.
'93 Ducati 900 Superlight
'89 Honda Hawk 650 GT
'73 CZ 250 MX
kitjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:13 AM   #57
Brucasso
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
I did the Woody recomendation and ground about 8 inches by the valve stem, 4 in. each side this past weekend. I'm wondering if WD 40 has some properties that after awhile cause the tire to gum up and stick to the rim. I cleaned a a crap load of sticky rubber off the inside wall of the rim with some acetone.

Just a thought..
Brucasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:15 PM   #58
ktmnate
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7
Post pics of your works also....thanks!
I didn't take any pictures but it works great now. I actually had to take my work truck to the shop for tires so I took my rear 950 wheel. Because my buddy won't charge me and will balance it. I did break the bead at home using the side stand. I did try stepping on the bead but it wouldn't budge. It took some work (about 3-4 minutes) with the side stand but came off. When I get it back, I will break the bead again and get some pictures of how I ground it down.

Nate
Old 09-08-2006, 07:24 AM   #59
ktmnate
Beastly Adventurer

I got the pictures up on Smugmug. Here she is. I got picked it up yesterday and broke the bead again using the side stand. I ground down about 8-10" to allow me to get a tube out without issue. Some riders have concerns of the tire comming off the wheel at speed when they get a flat. I doubt that it will happen. I still had to use some force to get the bead to break.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:13 AM   #60
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,603
Cool - thanks. I've got a new rear tire to mount before Creel so I'll try and grind mine down once I have the old tire off. Last time, I used a couple of 2x4's and a PT Cruiser to leverage the bead off. That's pretty simple too but I can't carry a 6' length of 2x4, a 1' piece and a PT Cruiser when I travel.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote