Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2007, 07:50 PM   #136
TonyA
beta tester

Oddometer: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgsnw
well, aren't you a clever boy. I just took mine off with the intention of selling them, but I'll have a go at what you did. I can see that mounting them farther forward could help a lot.
My pics don't show it, but you'll also need to take off about 1 cm at the inside upper corners to clear the instrument housing. Quick sculpting with a Dremel.

I didn't take any pix of the first thing I tried: cutting deeply into the front half of the winglet to allow me to place the two mounting lugs flat onto the horizontal part of the fairing. 'Twas fugly.

"Master and Commander", Patrick O'Brian
IBA 31991
TonyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:35 PM   #137
Giuseppe
Medium-Viz

Oddometer: 469
Well, I Learned Two Things Today...

1) The 12GS makes some major strange noises.
2) My helmet stinks!

After riding with the Z-Technik screen and winglets for a few months (which was OK, but windy and loud), I finally sprung for the Givi. Man, what a difference! Even in the lowest two positions, there's very little turbulent air coming around the screen. Not much air at all, actually. If you want some protection from the elemets and cleaner air around your helmet, this is the way to go.
Giuseppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:17 AM   #138
ben.thomas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Strange Noises

Yep, I notice the strange noises as soon as I fitted my Aeroflow screen. It was a bit disconcerting for the first few hundred kms, but now I have gotten use to it.
ben.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 02:04 PM   #139
mrmaico OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe
1) The 12GS makes some major strange noises.
2) My helmet stinks!

After riding with the Z-Technik screen and winglets for a few months (which was OK, but windy and loud), I finally sprung for the Givi. Man, what a difference! Even in the lowest two positions, there's very little turbulent air coming around the screen. Not much air at all, actually. If you want some protection from the elemets and cleaner air around your helmet, this is the way to go.
Interesting. Before I installed my winglets I had the Givi screen and wasn't that impressed with it, certainly not as impressed as some other people here had been at least. When I installed the winglets though it was a night and day difference. I had always assumed it was the winglets more than anything that made the big difference but I guess it's a COMBINATION of the two that makes it so nice.

Thanks for the info....Barry
mrmaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 02:17 PM   #140
Schtum
Free Genie

Oddometer: 1,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaico
I had always assumed it was the winglets more than anything that made the big difference but I guess it's a COMBINATION of the two that makes it so nice.
Synergy you know.... However, since I'm currently running the stock screen with a Laminar Lip and the winglets and am just about to fit a ZTechnik screen which I was given as a gift, I'm not entirely happy with what I've just read....
Schtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 02:31 PM   #141
Giuseppe
Medium-Viz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtum
Synergy you know.... However, since I'm currently running the stock screen with a Laminar Lip and the winglets and am just about to fit a ZTechnik screen which I was given as a gift, I'm not entirely happy with what I've just read....
Give the Z-T a try. I'm 5'9" w/a 30" inseam and the BMW low seat. If you're a little differently set up, it might be just the ticket. The Z-T and winglets were a huge improvement over stock, just a little rougher than I would have preferred.

Although the calmness behind the Givi is nice in the 40 degree weather now. It makes me wonder if I'll get enough wind in the summer. I guess there's no pleasing some people... Maybe I'll hold onto the Z-T, just in case!
Old 03-01-2007, 03:14 PM   #142
Schtum
Free Genie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe
Give the Z-T a try. I'm 5'9" w/a 30" inseam and the BMW low seat. If you're a little differently set up, it might be just the ticket.
Nope, we could swap bikes and not notice the difference.....
Old 04-08-2007, 01:18 PM   #143
Giuseppe
Medium-Viz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMerchant
Has anyone tried the Wingletts with the ZTechnik standard windshield? I have this shield and it is an improvement over stock but not sure how it will work with the wings.

Rodney
Here are a couple of pix of the Z-T and winglets:

Old 04-08-2007, 01:23 PM   #144
Giuseppe
Medium-Viz

And the Givi and winglets:

The difference in size isn't huge (wider and slightly taller), but the effect on wind and turbulence is. Not all of the adjustment positions on the screen are usable, because the tips of the screen run into the the winglets. As has been noted elsewhere, this can be remedied by some judicious filing. At 5'9", I don't have any problem seeing over the Givi.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:09 PM   #145
PackRat
Huey Guns

Oddometer: 1,454
This is what I made out of black 3/16" lexan. This was the final fitting before I polished the edges and painted the screws black.

Yungas Rd.-Bolivia, Alaska '08 - Labrador '10 -
PackRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 01:08 PM   #146
Box6
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Where can I buy a set of Winglets for an 1150GS with stock screen?
Box6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:54 PM   #147
Hooksta
Hook

Oddometer: 1,941
Almost a year later I finally get off my tail to go and buy the winglets. Picked them up this evening and got all the part numbers listed back on page 4 (I think). BUT, I noticed there was no part number for the nuts. I have 4 screws, 4 bushings, and 4 washers...and that's it. Is there a particular type of nut I should be looking for...or just one that fits. Seems like I heard the BMW dealer mention an M5 as a part order. I only remember it because it was the same as BMW auto.

I run a Givi screen for what its worth. I do agree that the installation area/fairing is pretty flimsey. So no one has had any cracks or trouble? (My primary reason for not being an early adopter).

Also, has anyone had success with using "clamps" to hold the winglets in place?

Thanks!

Eddie
Hooksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:07 PM   #148
mrmaico OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooksta
Almost a year later I finally get off my tail to go and buy the winglets. Picked them up this evening and got all the part numbers listed back on page 4 (I think). BUT, I noticed there was no part number for the nuts. I have 4 screws, 4 bushings, and 4 washers...and that's it. Is there a particular type of nut I should be looking for...or just one that fits. Seems like I heard the BMW dealer mention an M5 as a part order. I only remember it because it was the same as BMW auto.

I run a Givi screen for what its worth. I do agree that the installation area/fairing is pretty flimsey. So no one has had any cracks or trouble? (My primary reason for not being an early adopter).

Also, has anyone had success with using "clamps" to hold the winglets in place?

Thanks!

Eddie
I was just thinking about that on a ride the other day....I wonder if anyone has had any problems after mounting them on a GS. I can say that I haven't had any problems at all. I've since installed my original set of winglets on a spare set of bodywork that I bought and had painted a different blue. I rode briefly without them when I installed the new bodywork and was instantly reminded what a difference they make for the better. The wind noise and buffeting were back. For anyone that hasn't done it, I would still highly recommend installing them.

As for the nuts, the reason they don't come with any is because on the GSA they screw into a captive nut on the frame. I can't recall for certain anymore but looking at the parts fiche it looks to indeed be a 5mm nut. I would look for a locking nut or you can do like I did and just double nut it. I used stainless nuts on mine. I don't recall anyone using a C clamp but I know Jim VonBaden used Dual Lock on his and said it was working great.

Still the most bang for the buck I've done to my bike.

Barry
mrmaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:02 AM   #149
Hooksta
Hook

Oddometer: 1,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaico
I don't recall anyone using a C clamp but I know Jim VonBaden used Dual Lock on his and said it was working great.
Barry,

Thanks for the info...good stuff. I'm still traveliing this week but I hope to do the install this weekend. Maybe there are a few "fresh - 2007" reviews to be done here but doesn't seem I am getting many takers on it.

Paging Jim Von Baden, what is this "Dual Lock" thing/stuff?
Hooksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 06:04 AM   #150
Schtum
Free Genie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooksta
Paging Jim Von Baden, what is this "Dual Lock" thing/stuff?
I'm not Jim Von Baden but I do know what 3M Dual Lock is. It's the very heavy duty Velcro-like stuff which, for example, Laminar Lip use to attach their lips to screens.....

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Profile-Rec.../dp/B0006HVM72

HTH