Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2007, 06:54 AM   #151
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaico
I was just thinking about that on a ride the other day....I wonder if anyone has had any problems after mounting them on a GS. I can say that I haven't had any problems at all.
No problems here.
Smugmug 20% off: http://www.smugmug.com/signup/?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:30 AM   #152
Schtum
Free Genie

Oddometer: 1,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto
No problems here.
+2
Schtum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:33 AM   #153
Hooksta
Hook

Oddometer: 1,944
Quote:
Also with the Givi screen if you raise it too far it will eventually contact the winglets so if you run your Givi in the higher positions you may have to trim the corner of the screen.

Barry
Barry,

I was messing around with my new winglets (will be installing them this afternoon) and it appears if I mount them approximately the same way as was done in the Yellow-painted Adventure photos, the Givi screen should retain its adjustability for all positions. So my challenge/decision is whether or not to mount them closer in or mount them a little further out. Any last suggestions from anyone?
Hooksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 07:25 AM   #154
mrmaico OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooksta
Barry,

I was messing around with my new winglets (will be installing them this afternoon) and it appears if I mount them approximately the same way as was done in the Yellow-painted Adventure photos, the Givi screen should retain its adjustability for all positions. So my challenge/decision is whether or not to mount them closer in or mount them a little further out. Any last suggestions from anyone?
The thing I would worry about by mounting them farther out is it will possibly be putting a little more stress on the bodywork at speed. You also might be getting too much air past the inner edge of the winglet by moving them out. If I were you I'd just mount them as close to the pictures as possible.

On mine it doesn't look like I would be able to adjust the screen all the way up without it hitting the winglets. I've never bothered to check it out because it looks like I would be looking through the screen at my height (5' 10"). I think some people have had to trim a bit off the screen to get the full range of adjustment. And besides I think it looks dorky with the screen setting straight up.

Barry

I have mine set at this angle, haven't messed with the adjustment in at least a year......

mrmaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 08:09 AM   #155
Mukluk25
Hitchhiking to Bingo

Oddometer: 729
I was able to fit my winglets in such a way to allow an extra powerlet socket, Givi screen, and tobs. There is only one location that the screen rubs, but only during periods of high vibration. I used the powerlet socket mounting grids located on the underside of the fairing for location mounting guidance. 10K miles with them I am very happy. Good luck
Mukluk25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 07:04 PM   #156
Hooksta
Hook

Quote:
The thing I would worry about by mounting them farther out is it will possibly be putting a little more stress on the bodywork at speed. You also might be getting too much air past the inner edge of the winglet by moving them out. If I were you I'd just mount them as close to the pictures as possible.

On mine it doesn't look like I would be able to adjust the screen all the way up without it hitting the winglets. I've never bothered to check it out because it looks like I would be looking through the screen at my height (5' 10"). I think some people have had to trim a bit off the screen to get the full range of adjustment. And besides I think it looks dorky with the screen setting straight up.

Barry

I have mine set at this angle, haven't messed with the adjustment in at least a year......

I went ahead and mounted them close. In other words I can only adjust my Givi screen about half way without hitting the winglets. That should be okay because I run the Givi in the lower two settings anyhow. I'll take pictures sometime pretty soon. Had a lot of projects today so I haven't had the opportunity to try them out yet.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:21 AM   #157
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 47,865
I mounted mine (Cee Baileys) in the stock GSA spot, and they fit for all adjustments on the GIVI screen, as well as leaving the right spot for the Powerlet plugs.

Alass, after nearly 2K miles, a sidedraft (probably 50 mph) took one of my winglets off at speed, 85mph, and I lost it. Duel lock is good, but not perfect.

I am ordering another set, and will still use duel lock, but I will also be finding a way to keep them on with a very small clamp, or a teather.

I love them, and the 1000 mire ride to and from the RA reminded me why.

Oh, and I use them with the stock screen in summer, GIVI in winter.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:22 PM   #158
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Jim,

Any reason for CB over BMW, or is this a case of wings are wings? From the pic, the CB appears to be larger. True?

I happened onto a CB screen (+3"), and find it to be an improvement over stock GS screen, but still too noisy (I'm almost 6'1"). Still tinkering with screen angle, and wanted to get the wings before investing in another (taller) screen, so appreciate the useful feedback in this thread! Thanks to all.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:52 AM   #159
GomezSinclair
???

Oddometer: 8

[/quote]

Okay - I'm in! As a newer owner, I've been annoyed by the wind noise on my helmet. I installed my winglets last night. Of course, I'm totally paranoid about getting things wrong when I drilled through the plastic, so I obsessed for about an hour getting them just so.

After seeing this picture (above) - I fear I mounted them about 1/4"-3/8" to the rear - barely overlapping the seam of the bodywork on the back side. I still have plenty of room for the outlets - but I nearly lost sleep last night with my OCD personality, fearing that I won't get the correct slipstream characteristics.

Someone (preferably with an aeronautical engineering degree) please give me a little reassurance that 3/8" rearward mounting won't completely screw up any benefits from these!!! On a positive note, they are perfectly symmetrical and the screen operates with just enough clearance...

Anyone have some real-life insights? Someone want to console me?
GomezSinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:28 AM   #160
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeagerda
Jim,

Any reason for CB over BMW, or is this a case of wings are wings? From the pic, the CB appears to be larger. True?

I happened onto a CB screen (+3"), and find it to be an improvement over stock GS screen, but still too noisy (I'm almost 6'1"). Still tinkering with screen angle, and wanted to get the wings before investing in another (taller) screen, so appreciate the useful feedback in this thread! Thanks to all.
Mainly I did the Cee Baileys because they are cheaper. But I found out that the larger ones seem to work a bit better, and look pretty good too.

I use them with my stock screen and find them much better than the stock screen alone, and suspect it would help the larger Cee Baileys as well. The noise from most helmets is at the bottom when turbulent air hits them. The wings smooth and reduce this areflow from below and makes even the stock screen quieter. YMMV.

Jim
Old 06-13-2007, 07:30 AM   #161
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GomezSinclair

Okay - I'm in! As a newer owner, I've been annoyed by the wind noise on my helmet. I installed my winglets last night. Of course, I'm totally paranoid about getting things wrong when I drilled through the plastic, so I obsessed for about an hour getting them just so.

After seeing this picture (above) - I fear I mounted them about 1/4"-3/8" to the rear - barely overlapping the seam of the bodywork on the back side. I still have plenty of room for the outlets - but I nearly lost sleep last night with my OCD personality, fearing that I won't get the correct slipstream characteristics.

Someone (preferably with an aeronautical engineering degree) please give me a little reassurance that 3/8" rearward mounting won't completely screw up any benefits from these!!! On a positive note, they are perfectly symmetrical and the screen operates with just enough clearance...

You will be fine. I highly doubt you will see any significant differences. But if you want to find out, simply unbolt the wings and clamp them in place further forward with very small C-clamps and go for a ride.

Jim
Old 06-13-2007, 09:07 AM   #162
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GomezSinclair

Anyone have some real-life insights? Someone want to console me?[/quote]

The winglets on the yellow bike are actually farther outboard and foward of where they are mounted on the GSA. Notice how the accessory socket is not centered in the winglet cutout.
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:22 PM   #163
Hooksta
Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixinbones

The winglets on the yellow bike are actually farther outboard and foward of where they are mounted on the GSA. Notice how the accessory socket is not centered in the winglet cutout.[/quote]

There was a message posted earlier in this thread stating that this "yellow" bike was actually an ADV model bike that had been repainted. If you go back to page three or four there are photos of this bike with extra reinforcement under the faring. I just took the guys word for it that this bike was a GSA....just painted yellow. My point is that I also assumed that these winglets were mounted correctly for a GSA....because it is supposed a GSA.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:24 PM   #164
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,014
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooksta
The winglets on the yellow bike are actually farther outboard and foward of where they are mounted on the GSA. Notice how the accessory socket is not centered in the winglet cutout.
There was a message posted earlier in this thread stating that this "yellow" bike was actually an ADV model bike that had been repainted. If you go back to page three or four there are photos of this bike with extra reinforcement under the faring. I just took the guys word for it that this bike was a GSA....just painted yellow. My point is that I also assumed that these winglets were mounted correctly for a GSA....because it is supposed a GSA.[/quote]

Huh, Now I'm confused!!!!!!!!!
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:58 AM   #165
Hooksta
Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixinbones
There was a message posted earlier in this thread stating that this "yellow" bike was actually an ADV model bike that had been repainted. If you go back to page three or four there are photos of this bike with extra reinforcement under the faring. I just took the guys word for it that this bike was a GSA....just painted yellow. My point is that I also assumed that these winglets were mounted correctly for a GSA....because it is supposed a GSA.
Huh, Now I'm confused!!!!!!!!![/quote]

Well I think you are fine wherever you mounted your your winglets first of all. But I was just trying to clarify the photo being used here. So the original poster said, this yellow GS is actually a GSA and not a standard GS. This claim was supported when they were pointing out the extra support under the faring. Like I mentioned there are more photos near the beginning of the thread. I personally have no idea if the yellow bike is actually a GSA. But, I can say that my 06 GS does not have the same support under the faring as what is pictured here.

One of the points I was trying to make that IF the yellow GS photo is actually a GSA, THEN the photo would be the proper factory mounting location for the winglets.