Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2007, 05:40 AM   #166
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooksta
Huh, Now I'm confused!!!!!!!!!
Well I think you are fine wherever you mounted your your winglets first of all. But I was just trying to clarify the photo being used here. So the original poster said, this yellow GS is actually a GSA and not a standard GS. This claim was supported when they were pointing out the extra support under the faring. Like I mentioned there are more photos near the beginning of the thread. I personally have no idea if the yellow bike is actually a GSA. But, I can say that my 06 GS does not have the same support under the faring as what is pictured here.

One of the points I was trying to make that IF the yellow GS photo is actually a GSA, THEN the photo would be the proper factory mounting location for the winglets.[/quote]

Gotcha. I have winglets (BMW ones) that I have yet to install. When I placed them onto the fairing to see how they would mount, they seemed to fit best when placed more inward than the yellow bike, so that the inside of the winglet was almost inline with the inside edge of the fairing, and more rearward so that the rearward edge of the winglet was just before the break in the fairing where the beak and tank pieces meet. I agree that this is all a matter of aesthetics anyway. I've yet to mount them because I have been so happy with the stock GSA shield that I just installed. I may try the JVB duel lock thing to see how I like the winglets but I haven't been able to find duel lock at Home Depot.
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:42 AM   #167
DocWong
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,074
I want to thank everyone for this thread! Being a new 1200 GS owner, I found the stock windshield horrible. An hour ride at 80 mph would leave me pretty beaten up and tired, like another poster said, the sound of fast beating drums on your head!

Now with the stock windshield and the winglets installed, the drum beating has mellowed about 90% and a lot quieter and the dirty wind buffeting has been all but gone.

I'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam and was considering getting a spoiler to fit on the top of the stock windshield, but I don't think I'll need that either.

Thanks!

Doc Wong (Free) Riding Clinics http://www.docwong.com

My 1200 GS small hill climb video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EntvKjdduI
-----------------------------------------------------------
DocWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 06:04 AM   #168
mrmaico OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixinbones
Well I think you are fine wherever you mounted your your winglets first of all. But I was just trying to clarify the photo being used here. So the original poster said, this yellow GS is actually a GSA and not a standard GS. This claim was supported when they were pointing out the extra support under the faring. Like I mentioned there are more photos near the beginning of the thread. I personally have no idea if the yellow bike is actually a GSA. But, I can say that my 06 GS does not have the same support under the faring as what is pictured here.

One of the points I was trying to make that IF the yellow GS photo is actually a GSA, THEN the photo would be the proper factory mounting location for the winglets.
Quote:
Gotcha. I have winglets (BMW ones) that I have yet to install. When I placed them onto the fairing to see how they would mount, they seemed to fit best when placed more inward than the yellow bike, so that the inside of the winglet was almost inline with the inside edge of the fairing, and more rearward so that the rearward edge of the winglet was just before the break in the fairing where the beak and tank pieces meet. I agree that this is all a matter of aesthetics anyway. I've yet to mount them because I have been so happy with the stock GSA shield that I just installed. I may try the JVB duel lock thing to see how I like the winglets but I haven't been able to find duel lock at Home Depot.
As far as the yellow bike being a GSA, it was the owner that posted pics of it and mentioned that he repainted it IIRC.

I agree, the winglets on that yellow one seem to be mounted too far outboard. I'd never noticed that before until Hooksta mentioned it here. Seems odd that they'd be off like that from the factory.

Have you had a chance to try yours out yet Hooksta?

Barry
mrmaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 07:15 AM   #169
Hooksta
Hook

Oddometer: 1,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaico
As far as the yellow bike being a GSA, it was the owner that posted pics of it and mentioned that he repainted it IIRC.

I agree, the winglets on that yellow one seem to be mounted too far outboard. I'd never noticed that before until Hooksta mentioned it here. Seems odd that they'd be off like that from the factory.

Have you had a chance to try yours out yet Hooksta?

Barry
Yeah I need to take a picture and post it, but I have mounted them. Definite improvement. It would be nice to be able to ride the bike with and without them on the same day to really notice how much the difference is. I still have some minor buffeting with my helmet...I want to wait and see. It's not that I expected the winglets to fix that problem...I was just hoping it might after reading Karl's reviews earlier. I'm about the same size as him and run a Givi screen. I may end up going with the new Cee Bailey Adventure screen.

The GS is funny isn't it? It's like you are supposed to have the legs of a 6'2" person (34" inseam) and have the torsoe (sp?) of 5'6" person so that you can actually get behind the screen somewhat.
Hooksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 07:31 AM   #170
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,509
Quote:
Yeah I need to take a picture and post it, but I have mounted them. Definite improvement. It would be nice to be able to ride the bike with and without them on the same day to really notice how much the difference is. I still have some minor buffeting with my helmet...I want to wait and see. It's not that I expected the winglets to fix that problem...I was just hoping it might after reading Karl's reviews earlier. I'm about the same size as him and run a Givi screen. I may end up going with the new Cee Bailey Adventure screen.

The GS is funny isn't it? It's like you are supposed to have the legs of a 6'2" person (34" inseam) and have the torsoe (sp?) of 5'6" person so that you can actually get behind the screen somewhat.
I had mine on with duel lock, and rode for about 50 miles with them, snapped them off and did 20 more without them. It does indeed make a big difference, even with the stock screen. With the Givi tall screen it was like an RT to me at 5'8" and 28" inseam.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:22 AM   #171
Hooksta
Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
I had mine on with duel lock, and rode for about 50 miles with them, snapped them off and did 20 more without them. It does indeed make a big difference, even with the stock screen. With the Givi tall screen it was like an RT to me at 5'8" and 28" inseam.

Jim
You know I may have ended up receiving a Givi short screen. I requested the tall but never checked on it. It measures 17.5" tall if I put the tape measure between the two front screws. I never double checked this because it was so much larger than stock. Did I get screwed and end up with a Givi short?
Old 06-15-2007, 08:39 AM   #172
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
You know I may have ended up receiving a Givi short screen. I requested the tall but never checked on it. It measures 17.5" tall if I put the tape measure between the two front screws. I never double checked this because it was so much larger than stock. Did I get screwed and end up with a Givi short?
Mine is 19" from top to bottom of the screen in the middle.

Might be the same screen depending on how it is measured.

Jim
Old 06-15-2007, 10:53 AM   #173
Hooksta
Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Mine is 19" from top to bottom of the screen in the middle.

Might be the same screen depending on how it is measured.

Jim
Nope mine is 17.5" if you measure from right between the two screws near the bottom of the windshield. It might and I mean might be 18" if you measured from just the right spot. No way I could get 19" out of it. Sounds like they sent me the wrong Givi screen.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:48 AM   #174
mrmaico OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Nope mine is 17.5" if you measure from right between the two screws near the bottom of the windshield. It might and I mean might be 18" if you measured from just the right spot. No way I could get 19" out of it. Sounds like they sent me the wrong Givi screen.
When you say you are measuring from "right between the two screws near the bottom of the windshield" do you mean you are measuring from that point or from the actual bottom edge of the screen Hooksta? When I measure mine I go from that "point" at the middle bottom edge of the screen to the top.

AFAIK they never had an option of ordering a tall or short screen. At some point in time Givi started making the screens taller because when I ordered mine it was too tall for me so I had Gadget Boy measure his and his was shorter than mine so I contacted Givi USA and they knew nothing about a change in heights but they were able to find me an old style shorter one in their inventory and do a swap for me. From what I've read lately it sounds like Givi has switched back to manufacturing the shorter size. Might be that Jim got one of the taller version.

I'm not at home right now so I can't measure mine but I can check it in a few hours and let you know what mine measures.

As for the helmet buffeting, at 5' 10" wearing an HJC Symax I used to get what felt like a vibration in my helmet but after adding the winglets it is completely gone.

Barry

mrmaico screwed with this post 06-15-2007 at 11:54 AM
Old 06-15-2007, 12:18 PM   #175
waterdawg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I've got a question about the Givi Screen the 1200GS.

I ordered a D330ST from RL Cycles and it was shipped to me directly from Givi. When I opened the box the plastic wrapping on the windshield says 330DT, and it didn't come with the Adventure style support brackets that mount through the holes and provide additional support further up on the windshield. I have a regular 1200GS so I don't have the additional support bracket like there is on the 1200 Adventure. RL is closed today, so no answers from them.

Should the additional support brackets have come with the D330ST windscreeen, or do I have to order another kit from Givi, or buy the Adventure supports?
waterdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 12:33 PM   #176
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Here is mine. I measured between the screw holes from the top of the screen to the bottom.

Mine was ordered used, so I don't know what the part number is.

Jim
Old 06-15-2007, 12:37 PM   #177
waterdawg
Adventurer

Hey Jim...do you know if those additional support brackets come with the 330ST from Givi?

Thanks
Old 06-15-2007, 12:38 PM   #178
mrmaico OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdawg
I've got a question about the Givi Screen the 1200GS.

I ordered a D330ST from RL Cycles and it was shipped to me directly from Givi. When I opened the box the plastic wrapping on the windshield says 330DT, and it didn't come with the Adventure style support brackets that mount through the holes and provide additional support further up on the windshield. I have a regular 1200GS so I don't have the additional support bracket like there is on the 1200 Adventure. RL is closed today, so no answers from them.

Should the additional support brackets have come with the D330ST windscreeen, or do I have to order another kit from Givi, or buy the Adventure supports?
Hmmm? Didn't find much info by Googling the two as far as what's the difference. The Givi doesn't really have the support bracket like the one on the Adv, just the 2 arms on each side. Does it have the holes for the support arms? Maybe the DT is just a replacement screen without the brackets. If you got charged the price of the ST I'm guessing they just screwed up and sent you the wrong item.

HTH.....Barry
Old 06-15-2007, 12:43 PM   #179
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdawg
Hey Jim...do you know if those additional support brackets come with the 330ST from Givi?

Thanks
I went out and looked up my instructions in the garage and they just say D330-kit under the part number. No ST or DT. The screen has no markings on it at all.

I suspect you have a different version. Have you measured the length of the screen? Does yours have mounting holes for the supports?

Jim
Old 06-15-2007, 01:01 PM   #180
waterdawg
Adventurer

Yes, my windscreen has the holes for the supports, but it didn't come with the supports.