ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2007, 07:37 AM   #196
Emoto
Sure, why not?
 
Emoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: SE Mass
Oddometer: 17,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougs650
WaterDawg,

...a few minutes with a flat file grinding off the point will do the trick. Good luck.
I simply took a pair of tin snips and cut off the corners. Quick and easy. Some day I may take a file and clean up the edges...
__________________
Eventual Master of the Obvious
2005 R1200GS | 2013 R1200GSW | SOHC4 208 | DoD 2032 | BMWMOA | BMWRA | YB
Proud walking jingle in the midnight sun.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:38 AM   #197
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooksta
You will either have to mount the winglets further out (which I am not sure I would recommend) or trim the edge as you described. I mounted mine winglets nearly identical to the photos posted just above and I only have about half the adjustment available now from my Givi. That is okay because I never ran mine all the way up anyhow. But I do easily have at least the 4 lowest adjustments available with this setup. Anymore I would have to trim the edge of the screen.
Just for reference, the CeeBaileys wings wont have this issue if mounted according to their directions. Mine works with the screen full up or full down.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:48 AM   #198
dougs650
Beastly Adventurer
 
dougs650's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: North Texas
Oddometer: 1,007
GPS mount

Mike,

The basic objective of my GPS mount was to place it on a cross bar and reuse my Touratech locking Quest2 MVG mount. Since the GS does not have a factory cross bar, I purchased one from Touratech and installed it.

After setting up the cross bar, mount, and GPS, I had to shift my Chicane tank bag further back toward the rider to obtain a clear view of the GPS. To fix that issue, I purchased some aluminium rod at a local hardware store, cut it to some length, and pounded the ends to a taper as illustrated in one of the images. I drilled some holes for the bolts, and bent the ends to a desired angle. With some twiddling, and mild reshaping, the new cross bar was installed. Now the GPS sits up, and forward for great visibility while riding.

In terms of powering the unit, I built a wiring harness the runs power directly from my Centech fuse box under the rider seat. I run the audio out from the GPS into my Chicane tank bag through a quick disconnect.

These two links may help:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...utocom+Chicane
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...e+wire+harness

In summary, I am very pleased with the setup.

Doug...

dougs650 screwed with this post 07-02-2007 at 01:42 PM
dougs650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:02 PM   #199
mishii247
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 22
Thanks Doug

Thanks for the links. I'll check them out.
mishii247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:55 PM   #200
FOREVER HANDSOME
Gnarly Adventurer
 
FOREVER HANDSOME's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: North Vancouver, Canada's Tropics
Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacifer
Neato. What I wonder is, will my Aux plug outlet that I have on the left side work with the wings? Hmmm.
Yes it will. I had an accesory plug put in there and I have winglets, lots of room.
cheers
Handsome
FOREVER HANDSOME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:33 PM   #201
Gomery
n00b
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Oddometer: 9
Didn't do it for me

Well, I got the Givi. Better than stock, but still heavy buffeting in 80+ kph. Mounted the winglets. Sad to say it didn't do it for me - at all. In fact, I'm tempted to say it got worse. That is higher noise level total. I'm 6.1, 33" inseam. Have my Givi all upright. Tilt down = more noise for me. If the Givi had been 2-3 inches taller, I think it would be fine. Could try a TT spoiler.

But hey, I've tried it and it didn't do it for me. Next stop is Cee Bailey or Aeroflow. I'm getting tired of not being able to use my bike.
Gomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:00 PM   #202
Hooksta
Hook
 
Hooksta's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Kentucky
Oddometer: 1,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomery
Well, I got the Givi. Better than stock, but still heavy buffeting in 80+ kph. Mounted the winglets. Sad to say it didn't do it for me - at all. In fact, I'm tempted to say it got worse. That is higher noise level total. I'm 6.1, 33" inseam. Have my Givi all upright. Tilt down = more noise for me. If the Givi had been 2-3 inches taller, I think it would be fine. Could try a TT spoiler.

But hey, I've tried it and it didn't do it for me. Next stop is Cee Bailey or Aeroflow. I'm getting tired of not being able to use my bike.
I'm moderately satisfied with the Givi and winglets. I'm 6'2", 34" inseam and run the Givi in the low position. The MRA screen and the new CeeBailey Adventure screen seem to be good options. I'm just too stubborn to try them. I like the concept of the MRA, but the Cee Bailey (if I really knew what size to get) seems like a sure-fire way to fix it.
Hooksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 04:32 AM   #203
ajdemma
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ajdemma's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 155
While I'm waiting for my winglets to arrive, I've been playing with my Givi screen. Basically the position of the screen doesn't matter - I get the same buffeting whenever I'm 60+ mph - screen high or low.

Is this the experience of other riders? I'm 5' 11".

I'm incredulous, but hopeful, that the winglets will mitigate the buffeting. I'm in Atlanta and spend too much time on the highway.
ajdemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 07:38 AM   #204
CaptainMorgan
Gnarly Adventurer
 
CaptainMorgan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Apex, NC
Oddometer: 217
I have an 07 gsa and the stock screen killed me. I have had two ceebailey screens... the medium and the tallest. If you are 6'1" or taller don't waste your time on the medium. Get the big tall bad boy and you will be very happy.
CaptainMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:36 AM   #205
eoR
Thanks For Noticing Me
 
eoR's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Mena, Arkansas
Oddometer: 4,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdemma
While I'm waiting for my winglets to arrive, I've been playing with my Givi screen. Basically the position of the screen doesn't matter - I get the same buffeting whenever I'm 60+ mph - screen high or low.

Is this the experience of other riders? I'm 5' 11".

I'm incredulous, but hopeful, that the winglets will mitigate the buffeting. I'm in Atlanta and spend too much time on the highway.
I was once told by a BMW salesman that you should always run your windscreen as low as possible to minimize buffeting. Through experimentation I have found this to be good advice. I installed the Givi and winglets and found that while I could make the ride quieter by moving the windscreen to it's most forward positions the wind noise would reduce dramatically, my head would start bobbling. Wind noise can be defeated with ear plugs, but head buffeting can make a trip very unpleasant.

I found that the Touratech spoiler allowed me to run the Givi at a much lower level, quieted things up a bit and creates no head buffeting up to 90 mph [faster than I'm likely to ever go]. I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam, suggesting that my head is in a position more like that of someone an inch or two taller overall.

Before the winglet/Givi/spoiler combo, I would have never gotten on the bike without using ear plugs as the wind noise in my Shoei RF1000 was uncomfortably loud. Buffeting wasn't ever that much of an issue with the stock screen...until I tried to run it in the more forward[up]positions.

Now I can ride with my shield open, with no earplugs if I want, or with the iPod volume at a comfortable level. I'm pretty picky and got spoiled riding a Harley touring bike with a big batwing fairing. I am completely satisfied with the current setup. It's a done deal. I'm so happy with it I'm reluctant to ever trade the bike on another one, afraid that I'll never get it this "right" again.

If you have your bike set up in a similar manner, are of similar height, and still having issues with buffeting or wind noise perhaps you should try a different helmet. Hard to say why things work for some people and don't work for others...
__________________
It's not much of a tail, but I'm sort of attached to it.

My continuing tale of life and riding in the Arkansas Ozarks: Wandering About In The Hundred [Thousand] Acre Wood
eoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:21 AM   #206
Hooksta
Hook
 
Hooksta's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Kentucky
Oddometer: 1,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by eoR
I was once told by a BMW salesman that you should always run your windscreen as low as possible to minimize buffeting. Through experimentation I have found this to be good advice. I installed the Givi and winglets and found that while I could make the ride quieter by moving the windscreen to it's most forward positions the wind noise would reduce dramatically, my head would start bobbling. Wind noise can be defeated with ear plugs, but head buffeting can make a trip very unpleasant.

I found that the Touratech spoiler allowed me to run the Givi at a much lower level, quieted things up a bit and creates no head buffeting up to 90 mph [faster than I'm likely to ever go]. I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam, suggesting that my head is in a position more like that of someone an inch or two taller overall.

Before the winglet/Givi/spoiler combo, I would have never gotten on the bike without using ear plugs as the wind noise in my Shoei RF1000 was uncomfortably loud. Buffeting wasn't ever that much of an issue with the stock screen...until I tried to run it in the more forward[up]positions.

Now I can ride with my shield open, with no earplugs if I want, or with the iPod volume at a comfortable level. I'm pretty picky and got spoiled riding a Harley touring bike with a big batwing fairing. I am completely satisfied with the current setup. It's a done deal. I'm so happy with it I'm reluctant to ever trade the bike on another one, afraid that I'll never get it this "right" again.

If you have your bike set up in a similar manner, are of similar height, and still having issues with buffeting or wind noise perhaps you should try a different helmet. Hard to say why things work for some people and don't work for others...
There is likely no hope for me then if you are 5'10" and needed a Givi AND a TT spoiler to get the buffeting to stop. I'm 6'2" with the Givi currently. I really hope to come across someone else using a tall Cee Bailey Adventure screen someday.
Hooksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:28 AM   #207
RoundTrip
Unintentional deerslayer
 
RoundTrip's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Sunny Tucson AZ
Oddometer: 1,335
I just put a LaminarLip on my 07 GSA and I was blown away by how well it works. No turbulence and WAAAAAY less wind noise. Highly recommended.

I'm 5'9" with a 29-30" inseam and use an XD for a helmet. With the stock windscreen up all the way I still took a bunch of head burble with the stock setup. The Lip makes it totally quiet now.

-jeff
__________________
48 States / 30 Days...May-June 2008 - 07 GS Adventure

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
- Thomas Jefferson
RoundTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:10 AM   #208
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooksta
There is likely no hope for me then if you are 5'10" and needed a Givi AND a TT spoiler to get the buffeting to stop. I'm 6'2" with the Givi currently. I really hope to come across someone else using a tall Cee Bailey Adventure screen someday.
At some point you might want to consider that it isn't the wind screen, but the helmet that is causing such bad buffeting. Every helmet/bike combination is different. Just because your current helmet works with one bike, doesn't mean it works with another.

I have seen people go nuts, and even sell a bike because they couldn't get the noise/buffeting to stop, when similar sized people were in the "cone of silence" with the same set-up.

Jim

PS Plus, of course, some people have a higher tollerance for noise/buffeting than others.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:04 PM   #209
Hooksta
Hook
 
Hooksta's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Kentucky
Oddometer: 1,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
At some point you might want to consider that it isn't the wind screen, but the helmet that is causing such bad buffeting. Every helmet/bike combination is different. Just because your current helmet works with one bike, doesn't mean it works with another.

I have seen people go nuts, and even sell a bike because they couldn't get the noise/buffeting to stop, when similar sized people were in the "cone of silence" with the same set-up.

Jim

PS Plus, of course, some people have a higher tollerance for noise/buffeting than others.
Probably true, sound advice.....On another note, I didn't know you could add the TT spoiler to the Givi. (RE: EoR's post above) In fact I didn't think you could add any kind of "lip" to the Givi (at least that I have read about).
Hooksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:44 PM   #210
Dasadab
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooksta
There is likely no hope for me then if you are 5'10" and needed a Givi AND a TT spoiler to get the buffeting to stop. I'm 6'2" with the Givi currently. I really hope to come across someone else using a tall Cee Bailey Adventure screen someday.
I tested today the CeeBailey Enhanced Windshield Protection System with the winglets. I am 6'1" with a 31" inseam. I used the 20" X 20" shield. I went on the freeway up to about 85. This combo was dramatically better than the stock GS windshield. At 6'2" you may want to consider a 22" high shield. I thought the width of 20" was pretty good. I don't think I would want it wider. I don't know how the Givi compares with this CeeBailey. I believe the Givi has added bracing as does the CeeBailey. Anyway, I am ordering the CeeBailey/winglets system. Also, its not so massive that it has the barn door look.
Dean
Dasadab is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014