Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2008, 06:15 PM   #211
Hooksta
Hook

Oddometer: 1,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasadab
I tested today the CeeBailey Enhanced Windshield Protection System with the winglets. I am 6'1" with a 31" inseam. I used the 20" X 20" shield. I went on the freeway up to about 85. This combo was dramatically better than the stock GS windshield. At 6'2" you may want to consider a 22" high shield. I thought the width of 20" was pretty good. I don't think I would want it wider. I don't know how the Givi compares with this CeeBailey. I believe the Givi has added bracing as does the CeeBailey. Anyway, I am ordering the CeeBailey/winglets system. Also, its not so massive that it has the barn door look.
Dean
I think the Givi is around 19" tall so that may be good advice to go with the 22". It almost does the job. I am trying to avoid the "barn door" look you mentioned. The Givi actually (at least to me) looks like a better fit/size shield than the stocker. The stocker on the GS "Lite" looks to small for the bike. I also want to still be able to look over the screen - but I think I should still be able to in the low position of a 22" screen. I guess I could always put the seat in the high position if need be.
Hooksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:16 AM   #212
Dasadab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
At 6"1' I had no problem looking over the 20" CeeBailey. I ride with the seat in the high position. Bike feels easier to balance with higher seet. I would stlll be able to look over at 22' screen, but for me I just didn't feel I needed the extra height. You can always try the 22" and send it back and have it cut down if you think its too tall. Dean
Dasadab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:55 AM   #213
Hooksta
Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasadab
At 6"1' I had no problem looking over the 20" CeeBailey. I ride with the seat in the high position. Bike feels easier to balance with higher seet. I would stlll be able to look over at 22' screen, but for me I just didn't feel I needed the extra height. You can always try the 22" and send it back and have it cut down if you think its too tall. Dean
If I measure the Givi screen I have the same way that CeeBailey claims to measure their Adventure screen (between the two bottom screws near the bottom of the screen), then my Givi is only 17.5" tall. The Givi almost works for me. I have the BMW Winglets installed too (not the CeeBailey ones). And my height is more like 6'1.75" (closer to 6'2" than I am to 6'1") so I might be able to get by with the 20" as you have. My inseam is probably 33" (as I often where jeans in either 32 or 34" inseam...depending on brand).

I would rather have the 20" screen mostly because I don't want a "barn door" on the front of my bike. I want to bike to still look cool/normal/etc. You know, get just what I need and nothing more.

The stock 1200 GS Adventure screen is 18" tall...is that right?
Old 01-18-2008, 12:12 PM   #214
Dasadab
Gnarly Adventurer

Don't know height of stock ADV screen. I think that CeeBailey would also make you a 21" high one if you wanted. I am not really sure how the torso/inseam lenght thing works. You have a longer inseam by an inch or two and are probably an inch or less taller than me. You may have slightly longer legs in proportion to your torso than me. Therefore, it may be that we are about the same in the torso above the saddle department.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:36 PM   #215
Artboy57
Slave to THE MOUSE

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooksta
Probably true, sound advice.....On another note, I didn't know you could add the TT spoiler to the Givi. (RE: EoR's post above) In fact I didn't think you could add any kind of "lip" to the Givi (at least that I have read about).
I just put a Laminar Lip on my Givi. It's originally for the Caponard (recommended by Laminar) , seems to fit pretty well, I'll freeway test it this weekend and report.
Artboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:38 PM   #216
GSTed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Stock GSA screen is 17" Tall, I'm 6'1" and it works pretty well for me. I did try the Cee Balielys 20", which worked ok but I din't like such a tall screen. I thenhad them make a 16" which works about the same as the stock GSA screen whcih I have settled on. I have my 16" on Ebay now.
GSTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 06:48 PM   #217
Hooksta
Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artboy57
I just put a Laminar Lip on my Givi. It's originally for the Caponard (recommended by Laminar) , seems to fit pretty well, I'll freeway test it this weekend and report.
Excellent!!!
Old 01-20-2008, 07:23 AM   #218
Hooksta
Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artboy57
I also read on another post that the Touratech spoiler would fit on the Givi as well.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:28 AM   #219
Dasadab
Gnarly Adventurer

I have further test impressions of my CeeBailey's Enhanced Windshield with Winglets for the 1200GS. As noted earlier, I am 6-1 with a 31 inch inseam. I have the 20 x 20". Drove the set up on the freeway this weekend and around town in traffic. Its really good on the freeway. Night and say from stock in terms of no turbulence and much lower noise. It is a fine long distance solution. However, it is not much fun around town. Even though I can look over it, when it comes to slow traffic driving, which would translate to slower off road stuff, its just too tall. I feel better not having to look through a shield for slow stuff and having a tall shield in front of me. Maybe riding standing on the pegs it would be fine. Going to try that today.

In short: Works great for high speed slap stuff and eating up miles. Slow stuff, seeme too tall. I miss the adjustment on my old RT allowing me to drop the shield way down depending on conditions. I am thinking now to cut it down in increaments, starting with lopping off 2 inches to 18", then maybe 16" with a removable laminar lip or the removable Tourtech spoiler.
CeeBailey's has been fantastic with support, so I will discuss options with them tomorrow.

Bottom line: An ideal combo would be a shield that could be higher for speed runs, and low for off road and around town stuff. How to get there?
Old 01-26-2008, 05:46 PM   #220
worthydog
Shosholoza

Oddometer: 458
Jim Bade, do you recommend BMW or CB wings with the Givi?

I am grateful for the work done by those who came before me. The wind and buffeting on my new GS is horrific at 80MPH.
thanks
worthydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:35 PM   #221
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthydog
Jim Bade, do you recommend BMW or CB wings with the Givi?

I am grateful for the work done by those who came before me. The wind and buffeting on my new GS is horrific at 80MPH.
thanks
I guess sit depends. The CeeBaileys wings are larger and cheaper, but don't look quite as nice. I don't have any experience with how the Adv wings work.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:33 AM   #222
Paul Mihalka
Old Fart

Oddometer: 877
Based on Jim's advice I have the GIVI shield with the BMW Adventure wings. Main reason I picked BMW is that I work at a BMW dealer, so they were cheaper for me. This combination is excellent for cool weather or long distance slabbing. Before I got the GIVI I had the wings with the stock GS windshield. A good summer combination. I picked up a used Laminar Lip for the stock shield. Not installed/tried yet. I hope to get the air from the narrower shield with even less head buffeting. I'll let you'all know how it works. It will be a while.
Another reason to experiment with the stock shield vs. GIVI is gas mileage. When I switched to the GIVI my mileage dropped from +/- 46 to 40/42 under the same riding conditions. It's not so much the money (but it counts) but traveling range on one tank.
Paul Mihalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:30 AM   #223
Dasadab
Gnarly Adventurer

I have not spent more time with my CeeBailey's Enhanced Windshield with CeeBailey's winglets combo. I now have adjusted it using the stock adjustment system to sit a little lower by angeling it more towards me. It really works well. I have no problem looking well over the screen and wind protection, noise and turbulence not an issue any more. With this combo, I finally feel that I can do some comfortable distance riding. I would add two more thoughts. I got the 20 inch wide model. I like the looks, it doesn't look too big. The 22" wide shield would also be a great option for a little more upper body protection. BTW, I had questions during the installation, and the customer service I received was excellent.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:04 AM   #224
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mihalka
I picked up a used Laminar Lip for the stock shield. Not installed/tried yet. I hope to get the air from the narrower shield with even less head buffeting. I'll let you'all know how it works.
yesterday's impressions of a laminar lip installed on a stock GS screen - here:
Old 01-27-2008, 05:02 PM   #225
shieldsy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Laugh Winglets Rock !

I'm 5 ft 8 and the Givi screen with the ADV Winglets is the ducks nuts :-) Best protection ever and I can look over the screen not through it. My Nolan N102 with Bluetooth with visor open a notch or two and at 120kph I can talk on the phone or UHF CB no problems. Love the Givi screen love the winglets. Taller people will tell you differnet though ....... Advantage of being vertically cahallenged :-)
shieldsy is offline   Reply With Quote