Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2008, 02:55 PM   #241
Hooksta
Hook

Oddometer: 1,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthydog
The wings and GIVI really squashed wind noise on my 07 12GS and now I am trying to kill the buffeting. Does anyone have experience with Tobinators and the Givi screen on a 12GS? They are really expensive for what they are but if they fix the 80 mph head bobble, then I am in.

JVB and other vets, some help here?
I have the same setup (Givi + Winglets) and I use the TT clip on spoiler and it works like a charm.
Hooksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:48 PM   #242
nickatnite
Poster Boy for Red Death

Oddometer: 1,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooksta
I have the same setup (Givi + Winglets) and I use the TT clip on spoiler and it works like a charm.
I bought a TT clip last week and today was the first ride with it and I am in LOVE!!!

I've got the same set up. Givi + Winglets.

Life is good now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken
1-877-280-2337 ext 5616, ask for James Andrews
BMWMOA # 125735
2006 R 1200 Bayerische Motoren Werke Gelande Strasse (blue) the sexy color
nickatnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:36 PM   #243
growingthirst
There is no Spoon!

Oddometer: 40
Winglets on R1150 Gs ADV Screen

Hi,
I am going to buy BMW original GS Adv Winglets OR those from NyppyNormans, I need to solve the problems connected with the air flowing from below the handlebar.

Can you please help me to find out if the R12 winglets can somehow be mounted on a R1150? D you need do make some brackets yourself? Is the bending angle too different between the cockpit of the two bikes?

I do not like to buy a windshield with incorporated winglets, they're are not proprely awesome looking...
growingthirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:43 PM   #244
MeanMoe
one really mean cat

Oddometer: 2,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by growingthirst
Hi,
I am going to buy BMW original GS Adv Winglets OR those from NyppyNormans, I need to solve the problems connected with the air flowing from below the handlebar.

Can you please help me to find out if the R12 winglets can somehow be mounted on a R1150? D you need do make some brackets yourself? Is the bending angle too different between the cockpit of the two bikes?

I do not like to buy a windshield with incorporated winglets, they're are not proprely awesome looking...
I'm planning to use a heat gun to warm up and modify a set of Cee Bailey winglets that I've purchased. Then again, if I'd just left them out in the sun today, I might not have needed the heat gun.

MeanMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:27 PM   #245
mrmaico OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by growingthirst
Hi,

There have been a few people here in this thread that have done it. See post # 134 and also post #145 shows some homemade ones.

Barry
mrmaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:17 PM   #246
akskyhawk
Chilly Parrothead

Oddometer: 24
Anyone put Cee Bailey's wings on a GS with a stock windscreen? I got some because they were a lot cheaper than the BMW ones. When I bought them, I was told to use the dimples that are in the plastic that the factory uses when they mount the wings on the adv. I got home and I can't find the dimples... I can find the circular mark for the power socket but no dimples. If I follow the directions that Cee Bailey's included, along with pictures on their website, it seems as though I will have to trim the lower rear corners of the stock screen to keep from hitting the wings when I drop the screen to the lower positions. I'd rather not do that. If I mount them so that I don't have to cut the screen, then it looks like the bolts will be mighty close to the bend in the plastic; will that give enough support for the wings? Ideas?
akskyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:18 PM   #247
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by akskyhawk
Anyone put Cee Bailey's wings on a GS with a stock windscreen? I got some because they were a lot cheaper than the BMW ones. When I bought them, I was told to use the dimples that are in the plastic that the factory uses when they mount the wings on the adv. I got home and I can't find the dimples... I can find the circular mark for the power socket but no dimples. If I follow the directions that Cee Bailey's included, along with pictures on their website, it seems as though I will have to trim the lower rear corners of the stock screen to keep from hitting the wings when I drop the screen to the lower positions. I'd rather not do that. If I mount them so that I don't have to cut the screen, then it looks like the bolts will be mighty close to the bend in the plastic; will that give enough support for the wings? Ideas?
I run mine with a stock windscreen and no trimming in summer. Line up the wing with the seam on the plastic between the tank and the beak, and along the inner line of the beak. No problems. I never saw any dimples either.

Jim

JimVonBaden screwed with this post 06-07-2008 at 08:08 AM
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:55 PM   #248
akskyhawk
Chilly Parrothead

Oddometer: 24
I'll give that a try. THANKS Jim
akskyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:40 PM   #249
Crazy Al
Namaste

Oddometer: 140
I put a set on my '05. For the look, I put mine at the seam and in to where the ridge rides nicely above the contour. I used the appropiate sized fender washers and I've had the bike at 130mph with no signs of cracking or stress. They are the bomb.

MOA #48916
'05 R1200GS
Crazy Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:27 PM   #250
GS N RVN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Winglet install - HELP

I just received my winglets and hardware. Bob's only sent bushings, washers, and screws. Do I need a nylon nut to fasten the screw? No instuctions were included and Bobs is closed for the night.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:08 PM   #251
mrmaico OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS N RVN
I just received my winglets and hardware. Bob's only sent bushings, washers, and screws. Do I need a nylon nut to fasten the screw? No instuctions were included and Bobs is closed for the night.
Yes, you'll need to supply some nylock nuts because on the Adventure the nuts are part of the mount under the bodywork.

Just take your time and make sure you have them exactly where you want them before drilling. After you do the first one screw it into place and use it to eyeball where you want the second one so they match.

Barry
mrmaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:16 PM   #252
VonHelm
soggy doggy

Oddometer: 3,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by akskyhawk
...If I follow the directions that Cee Bailey's included, along with pictures on their website, it seems as though I will have to trim the lower rear corners of the stock screen to keep from hitting the wings when I drop the screen to the lower positions. I'd rather not do that. If I mount them so that I don't have to cut the screen, then it looks like the bolts will be mighty close to the bend in the plastic; will that give enough support for the wings? Ideas?

I put the BMW winglets on my'07 GS, and had to trim the corners of the stock screen to get full range of adjustment. It was easy- I just trimmed the triangular corners off flush with the training edge of the screen. I used a hacksaw blade without the handle. Block sanded it, radiused the edges and corners, dressed it will a mill file, and then carefully heated the raw edge with a small butane torch. (This makes the plastic turn clear again.) You wouldn't even notice it unless you knew where they used to be.
VonHelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:43 PM   #253
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

You should have gotten the Cee Baileys! They come with all mounting hardware, and no need to trim the stock screen, plus they are quite a bit larger!

Jim
Old 06-25-2008, 03:57 AM   #254
GS N RVN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
velcro fastener

Why did you use velcro to fasten the winglets? Any issue with stability at high speeds?
Old 06-25-2008, 12:17 PM   #255
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS N RVN
Why did you use velcro to fasten the winglets? Any issue with stability at high speeds?
Initially I didn't want to drill holes in the body pannels. I used a zip tie to ensure it would stay on, and used Duel Lock, not Velcro, to hold it. Never an issue, though I did eventually use the supplied screws/nuts to holt them on.

Jim