Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2009, 09:45 PM   #271
Noblehops
Misfit

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweptwingnut
NICE!!! Can't wait to how the well nuts work for you. Then this will be the next mod in my future.
They work very well, I'm happy to report. There is one thing to note however. When tightening them up, it it possible for the well nut to squirm around and get a skosh off-center in the hole. like, 1/16". Big deal you might say, but that can manifest itself in a little bit of asymmetry in the installation, 6 inches away at the end of the winglet. This is only visible as a practical matter when seated on the bike, and did not seem to affect performance one bit.

I took them off tonight to cut a piece off my Cee Bailey's sheild that was fouling them when the shield was raised in the higher positions, and when I put them back on, I got them nearly perfectly symmetrical.

Pros of the wellnuts: Easy installation, no chance of a nut vibrating off the underside and being un-found. 30-second removal and reinstall, black hardware looks better to my eye.

Cons of the wellnuts: It is possible for the winglets to be less-that perfectly aligned, due to the give in the rubber of the wellnut.

Last thought: This might have been less of an issue if I had drilled a slightly smaller hole.

I'm still happy wih the choice, YMMV.

N.

"In Penne We Trust"
Noblehops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:57 PM   #272
Noblehops
Misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by intotheabis
Do the winglets make a big difference and with what shield did you try them with. I have tried a couple of Zenteck shields and they both have brutal turbulance. I would like to know if the winglets help.
Thanks
I use them with a Cee Baileys +4/+2.

I took it for a ride tonight and did some slab to see how it worked at higher speed. The bubble is much wider, much smoother, I no longer have drafts up my helmet making my eyes water, I can leave my shield cracked at 80 MPH. It's a sizable improvement. Excellent mod.

+4 height comes about to my chin, and with the shield 2 notches up from lowest position, the (softer) blast hits my helmet at about my forehead. It's much quieter, much smoother, buffeting is 90% gone. The combo with the winglets is a huge improvement for high speed, very nice at 30-50 too.

IMPORTANT NOTE RE THE CEE BAILEY'S SHIELDS!

Lookie here:

See that triangle of material that juts toward the winglet at the bottom? It's got to come off or it will foul the winglet in anything but the lowest two positions. If you do order a Cee Bailey's, call and speak to their production manager, tell him that you are going to use the shield with BMW winglets (the Cee Bailey's winglets will not foul the screen, FYI), and he will make you a screen without that triangle of material. I lopped mine off tonight with a rotozip bit in my Dremel, but it was fiddly and it'd be nicer not to have to.

N.

"In Penne We Trust"
Noblehops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:20 PM   #273
sweptwingnut
The Nut

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noblehops
They work very well, I'm happy to report. ..................
Cons of the wellnuts: It is possible for the winglets to be less-that perfectly aligned, due to the give in the rubber of the wellnut.

Last thought: This might have been less of an issue if I had drilled a slightly smaller hole.

I'm still happy wih the choice, YMMV.

N.

http://www.twowheelfemales.com
sweptwingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:35 PM   #274
intotheabis
High on life!

Oddometer: 585
GS Winglets

Just installed a set of Adventure Winglets on my 07 GS and went for a long ride down from Niagara Falls deep into PA and back. I honestly can't say it was a great improvement. There may have been a slight reduction in the turbulance, (I tried all positions of the stock shield), but I can't say that the problem is fixed. I do have 2 more shields to try these with and I will report back.
I am 5' 10'' with a 32'' inseam.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:09 AM   #275
worthydog
Shosholoza

Oddometer: 458
I went the wings and GIVI route but it didn't get the job done IMHO. I installed the Aeroflow and the result has been outstanding. Now my problem is I have four holes in the bodywork where the wings were installed. Does anyone know where I can get caps to cover the holes from the wings? I wish I had used a hook and loop installation like JVB used.
worthydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:52 AM   #276
Mika S
JC & MC: Double Freedom

Oddometer: 167
CeeBailey's is acrylic.
OEM is polycarbonate.

Acrylic can crack.

I had a stone from my driving mate's rear wheel right into the middle of my CeeBailey's screen. Cracked. Later cracked into pieces in a fall i had. Replaced with a GSA screen (and appropriate hardware).

I had a close encounter with a baby pine. Cracked my CeeBailey's wind wing. Fixed by cutting the wing narrower and making new attaching holes. Now my LH wing is narrower than RH wing. May consider replacing with OEM stuff.

I also have the Touratech spoiler, which made a big difference in the noise level. And I can remove it in seconds for a ride in the more technical stuff.

So I run GSA screen in a GS with CB wings and a TT spoiler. Quieter than my friend's RT.

Mika S screwed with this post 06-30-2009 at 12:04 PM
Mika S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:41 PM   #277
nanotech9
** Slidewayz **

Oddometer: 1,435
i had a set of winglet on my GS that came with it (used) and while playing with how tight of a circle i could turn, i stalled the motor and fell over on the left side. Only item broken (other than the brittle hand guard mount point) was the left winglet (not a BMW part). I glued the pieces back together, bought a few pieces of 3/16 plexi at a local shop for $5, heated it at 450 for a bit till it started sagging (in the oven) and used the old broken winglet to form the new one. Its 90% perfect. Surface has some light indentations from the oven mits i used to press it down to the old winglet.
'04 KTM 525 EXC
'02 YAMAHA TTR 125
'99 KTM 50 ADV
'86 KTM 250 2-smoker resto-project
nanotech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:19 AM   #278
Solstice0000
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika S
CeeBailey's is acrylic.
OEM is polycarbonate.

Acrylic can crack.

I had a stone from my driving mate's rear wheel right into the middle of my CeeBailey's screen. Cracked. Later cracked into pieces in a fall i had. Replaced with a GSA screen (and appropriate hardware).

I had a close encounter with a baby pine. Cracked my CeeBailey's wind wing. Fixed by cutting the wing narrower and making new attaching holes. Now my LH wing is narrower than RH wing. May consider replacing with OEM stuff.

I also have the Touratech spoiler, which made a big difference in the noise level. And I can remove it in seconds for a ride in the more technical stuff.

So I run GSA screen in a GS with CB wings and a TT spoiler. Quieter than my friend's RT.
Acrylic vs Polycarbonate - a good point to note when buying aftermarket (usually acrylic, eg. Zero Gravity) vs OEM (usually polycarbonate) screens!
Solstice0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:21 AM   #279
Solstice0000
Gnarly Adventurer

Good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noblehops
Max BMW kindly furnished the winglets and assorted bits listed elsewhere, and last night I went at it. Another inmate mentioned installing them with well nuts, and I liked the idea for a couple of reasons, chiefly because the well nuts are rubber and so inherently damped, and with no nut on the underside, the winglets could be quickly removed, the screw reinstalled in the well nut, without fiddling with a nut beneath.

For the uninitiated, a well nut is a more or less a rubber shouldered flange, with a threaded insert near the bottom of the skinny end. To install you simply drill a hole of the appropriate diameter, drop the wellnut in, thread the supplied fastener, (or one with identical diameter and thread pitch) and tighten. Tightening it pulls the threaded lower end up and causes the well nut to expand, in an elliptical shape, nice and snug.

The parts:

Those are Lockhart Phillips 3/8" well nuts, with matching Allen-head round head screws. Those bushings at the rear are the BMW part specified for the Adventure bike, part number 46637664846

This was pretty straightforward: Position the winglets, note that their shape makes it pretty easy to see where BMW wanted you to locate them:

Mark the center of the mounting holes (I used a Sharpie)

Make an indentation on the marks to locate the drill bit. I used a spring-loaded pin punch and it worked the bomb. Press, cock the internal spring and WHACK! Perfect starter indentation for the drill bit to follow.

Drill the 3/8 holes (Courage man!):

Drop the well nuts in:

Drop the bushings in the winglet:

Install!

It took me about as long to write it up and upload the photos as it took to do it for both sides, and half of that was spent working up the courage to drill the fairing .

Note that the well nuts have a sort-of built-in rubber flange, so I omitted the specified BMW plastic spacers.

I'll ride it tomorrow, see how sturdy they seem, but it looks and feels perfect. So a provisional for the well nuts idea, whoever it was that suggested it.

Will edit after I ride it.

N.

Great step-by-step how-to...very helpful indeed...thanks!
Solstice0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:28 AM   #280
usroute66
If U can't go 80, why go?

Oddometer: 23
VStream Windsheild for the BMW GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS N RVN
The windsheild reduced most of the wind noise around my head and shoulders. Looks good too....like the GSA windsheild. It performed nicely and allowed enough air to pass by for cooling. I did not want to turn my GS into a touring bike with a big windshield.
I just installed the same. It looks great, has a nice little ledge on the back side to mount things like a GPS, and fixed most of my wind problems. I am very happy with it.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:51 PM   #281
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,577
This is so weird. Everybody seems to get different results.

Here are mine:

1. Stock R1200GS windshield: too short and too narrow. Lots of buffeting and wind noise. Hated it.

2. Stock windshield + Winglets: Much better. Buffeting mostly gone, but windshield too short. Kept getting hit in the face with highway insects.

3. Givi + Winglets: on lowest Givi position. Height ok, but too wide. Not enough air flow. Vacuum behind windscreen, cause hot air from oil radiator to hit my face. Sucked. Hated it.

4. Givi without Winglets: better. Nice clean breeze on my face. Some wind blast on either side of torso that the Winglets prevented. Best so far, I think. I need a bit more time on the bike this way.

5'9" with 33" inseam
Lobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:56 PM   #282
Canada Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto
I finally got around to mounting mine a few minutes ago. No drama. Key bit of info for anyone contemplating this who orders the BMW bolts for mounting is that you'll need nuts for them. What you want is self locking (nylon insert) nuts in the pitch and size:

.8 x 5mm

Still need to take a test ride, but AMA Superbike racing is coming on the idiot box in half an hour, so that will have to wait...
I ordered mine but need to wait for shipping...I listed the parts from your post, but as far as the nut goes, is that considered 8/32 or 6/32 in size?

Mike
Old 12-05-2009, 09:24 AM   #283
mrmaico OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Mike
I ordered mine but need to wait for shipping...I listed the parts from your post, but as far as the nut goes, is that considered 8/32 or 6/32 in size?

Mike
You'll need a metric nut. 5mm is the size and .8 is the thread pitch.

Barry
mrmaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:33 AM   #284
Canada Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaico
I just took some pics for a friend installing a Givi and winglets to help in positioning them and thought I'd post it here for anyone doing this for a winter project.

As you can see the winglets end up pretty close to the screen but in the last shot of the bike you can see the screen angle is fairly erect, I don't really see any reason you'd want to go any higher than that with the screen and if you did I guess you could always trim the edge of the screen a bit. You really don't want to go any more to the rear with the winglets otherwise you will have a problem with mounting a front accessory socket if you ever want to add one.

http://mrmaico.smugmug.com/gallery/2200268

Barry

Barry,

Great pictures on the install...I'll be doing this in a couple of weeks and it will help. Is that a Givi DS profile windshield? Does it infact measure 47cm?

by the information posted here looks like a good fit.

Mike
Old 12-29-2009, 03:24 PM   #285
mrmaico OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Mike
Barry,

Great pictures on the install...I'll be doing this in a couple of weeks and it will help. Is that a Givi DS profile windshield? Does it infact measure 47cm?

by the information posted here looks like a good fit.

Mike
Hi Mike, it's the Givi D330ST.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/1915/289/

Yes, it is just over 18 1/2 inches so that should come out to 47cm. I originally got one that was a little taller and was just a bit too high for me to see over so I was able to exchange it for a shorter version that was just right. I believe they've quit making the taller one. I picked up a nice used stock Adv. screen a year or so ago and have been using that but I think the Givi may have worked a bit better than the BMW screen but I just preferred the looks of the Adv one.

Good luck on the install and post up on how you like it when you get a chance to try it out. Gonna be a while till I can get out again after the foot of snow we got Christmas Day. Can't wait to get the bike AND the car out for a ride!

Barry

mrmaico is offline   Reply With Quote