Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2006, 08:15 AM   #16
Hedge36
Chasing parts.

Oddometer: 44,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdata
Thanks, I was just about to ask if the Givi screen was needed to use these.

Is that a tobenator that you have in addition to the wings?

Cheers
Ayuh. I tried EVERYTHING on the standard GS, up to and including a tobinated Adventure screen.

I realized I was trying to turn the GS into an RT, so I got the RT.

I realized riding an RT was girly, so I traded it in yesterday on a new 12 Adventure. Mo beddah
Old 07-14-2006, 08:40 AM   #17
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,969
If anyone calls their BMW dealer to order these parts, having them split up like this will match the pattern the dealer expects:

06 32 7 657 966 screw .80 x 4
46 61 2 308 594 washer .80 x 4
46 63 7 664 846 bushing $1.60 x 4
46 63 7 694 399 left wing $17.20
46 63 7 694 400 right wing $17.20
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 11:16 AM   #18
Willi-P
Just a man.

Oddometer: 706
Hi Barry. Good for you; I think you're gonna be real happy with that set-up. Well, duh, it sounds like you're already thrilled! I'm running the exact same combo of Givi screen and GSA winglets and it's working like a champ for me to! I'm happy and don't feel the need to do anything else windscreen-wise.
Willi-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 11:58 AM   #19
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto
If anyone calls their BMW dealer to order these parts, having them split up like this will match the pattern the dealer expects:

06 32 7 657 966 screw .80 x 4
46 61 2 308 594 washer .80 x 4
46 63 7 664 846 bushing $1.60 x 4
46 63 7 694 399 left wing $17.20
46 63 7 694 400 right wing $17.20
Man, this is good news! I rode my 1150GS back from Colorado a few weeks ago, 600+ mile day, the last 300 miles was through 30 to 35 mph crosswinds. I was beat to a pulp, was actually holding my helmet with one hand to steady it while I held the bars with the other hand. My head was getting kicked around like one of those "bobblehead" dolls, neck and jaws hurt all the next day from straining and clenching my teeth. The bike was rock-solid, but I was getting whipped bad. I have the smallish MRA "Varioscreen" on the GS, so these windlets should work well with that.

This is why I love the GS regardless of how much buffeting I get.... Took a little ride up the "hills" above my house after work last night for some "cycletherapy". I just love that bike for it's versatility......

I've ridden my RT in some hellish crosswinds (like last Monday riding up to Lander from Cheyenne, WY, 40+ mph winds for 250 miles ), there is always a little quiet spot in the slipstream you can tuck into even in the strongest wind, but not on the GS! I definitely agree that for $45 or so this is worth a try!

Thanks!

Doug in WINDY Wyoming.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:37 PM   #20
Hedge36
Chasing parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix
I've ridden my RT in some hellish crosswinds (like last Monday riding up to Lander from Cheyenne, WY, 40+ mph winds for 250 miles ), there is always a little quiet spot in the slipstream you can tuck into even in the strongest wind, but not on the GS! I definitely agree that for $45 or so this is worth a try!

Thanks!

Doug in WINDY Wyoming.
Don't get too excited. The point of this thread is that the winglets for the 1200GS Adventure can be fitted to the standard 1200GS, not your 1150.

You can buy some acrylic and a heat gun and experiment like I did, though. The difference on an 1150 isn't nearly as remarkable as the difference between the 1200s.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:49 PM   #21
Komet
The Voice of Reason

Oddometer: 38,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedge36
Don't get too excited. The point of this thread is that the winglets for the 1200GS Adventure can be fitted to the standard 1200GS, not your 1150.

You can buy some acrylic and a heat gun and experiment like I did, though. The difference on an 1150 isn't nearly as remarkable as the difference between the 1200s.
The winglets considering the price (and they don't look bad) oughta be about the first thing folks try...you would think. I don't have anything to measure by, but the stock screen seems acceptable to me...granted it's not an RT...but I knew that to begin with.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:55 PM   #22
Hedge36
Chasing parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komet
The winglets considering the price (and they don't look bad) oughta be about the first thing folks try...you would think. I don't have anything to measure by, but the stock screen seems acceptable to me...granted it's not an RT...but I knew that to begin with.
Yup, sounds like the smart way to go. GS' have never been slipstreaming marvels , but every little bit helps.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:17 PM   #23
Willi-P
Just a man.

Oddometer: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix
Man, this is good news! I rode my 1150GS back from Colorado a few weeks ago, 600+ mile day, the last 300 miles was through 30 to 35 mph crosswinds. I was beat to a pulp, was actually holding my helmet with one hand to steady it while I held the bars with the other hand. My head was getting kicked around like one of those "bobblehead" dolls, neck and jaws hurt all the next day from straining and clenching my teeth. The bike was rock-solid, but I was getting whipped bad. I have the smallish MRA "Varioscreen" on the GS, so these windlets should work well with that.

This is why I love the GS regardless of how much buffeting I get.... Took a little ride up the "hills" above my house after work last night for some "cycletherapy". I just love that bike for it's versatility......

Thanks!

Doug in WINDY Wyoming.
Wow Doug, that's some beautiful country. Next month, a buddy and I will be out west. We're shipping our bikes out to Seattle this weekend and the plan is to ride 'em back to flat Florida via Banff, Montana, Wyoming and Colorado. Those photos of yours are great! Can't wait to get out there. Should be quite an adventure for a couple of Florida boys.

Oh, don't want to get accused of hyjacking this thread...the reason I installed the winglets on the GS was for this trip!

Thanks for the photos!

Bill
Willi-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:56 PM   #24
mrmaico OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
Quote:
Nice job! You even have one of the ultra-fast and offroad capable blue ones like I have, so you are a man of keen intellect and sophisticated tastes.

Anyhow, my question is how did you determine exactly where to locate the holes?
You mean they make other colors besides Ocean Blue? I had no idea!

I used these 2 pics below to decide how to position them. I actually ended up putting mine a little farther inboard than shown here. The 3rd pic is of the underside support that comes on the Adv. and is attached to the frame. I was a little concerned about whether they would have enough support without them but just by grabbing them and trying to flex them while riding it doesn't appear to be flexing the bodywork much.

Just for the hell of it I rode home without my helmet on and even then at 80mph there was almost no wind noise. Another reason is because it's 100 degrees out, I think that's 5 days in a row now we've topped 100 and the forecast for the next few days is 105, 107, 101, 100, 100. And people think it's always cold in ND!

Sounds like a fun trip Willi, here are a bunch of photos from my trip to Colo. last month.
http://mrmaico.smugmug.com/gallery/1568937

Go for it GB, you know you have to try it just so you can live up to your name.

Barry

mrmaico screwed with this post 07-14-2006 at 03:03 PM
mrmaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 03:05 PM   #25
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Excellent! Thanks!

I've ordered the parts from my local dealer. Cost a bit more, but I like to buy a few things from him every year. Depending on availability, I could have them next week.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:13 PM   #26
drdata
R1200GS

Oddometer: 2,144
Quote:
Excellent! Thanks!

I've ordered the parts from my local dealer. Cost a bit more, but I like to buy a few things from him every year. Depending on availability, I could have them next week.
Hey Emoto, please report back on how you like the mod. I'm in no rush, given I'm not riding to work any longer and just doing around town trips, but still interested in the mod.

Also, what type of screen are you running? I just switched the stocker back and put the CB +3/+4 in the winter closet seeing that its 111 freaking degrees!

Cheers
Old 07-14-2006, 06:24 PM   #27
CyaC
Reality Unplugged

Oddometer: 223
I just picked up my "winglets" today and will try mounting them this weekend, it's 98 degrees here in St. Paul, MN but I can't wait to try them! I still have the stock screen and am tired of taking a wind beating.

Did any one make a metal bracket to go on the underside to beef up the mounting (since no frame support on regular GS)? Or, I'll go with fender washers instead.
2011 Can Am 800XXC
One lucky Gal!
CyaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 07:59 PM   #28
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,811
Barry,
I was going to order a set when I ordered my ADV tank, but I had a feeling they would be too big to work with the Touratech Desierto 3 fairing which I have installed. I might still get them and trim them a little bit, if I need to.. I'm pretty pleased with the TT fairing and how it manages the air flow.

How long did you have to wait for yours? I was told they were on backorder for quite some time. And for BMW, they are pretty reasonably priced. Thanks for a most informative thread
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 04:36 AM   #29
Hooksta
Hook

Oddometer: 1,941
Thanks for all the information. This looks REALLY REALLY GOOD.
Hooksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 06:24 AM   #30
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdata
Hey Emoto, please report back on how you like the mod. I'm in no rush, given I'm not riding to work any longer and just doing around town trips, but still interested in the mod.

Also, what type of screen are you running? I just switched the stocker back and put the CB +3/+4 in the winter closet seeing that its 111 freaking degrees!

Cheers
Will do. I am running a Givi screen. 6' 3 5/8" tall.