Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2012, 06:38 AM   #346
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by qman8 View Post
So....nobody knows where the washers are supposed to go?.....dang forum.
Did you check the parts fische?
http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...4&rnd=04052012
Old 04-14-2012, 07:24 AM   #347
FBB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Per diagram and looking at a 2012 GSA at the dealers the washers should go between the winglet and the fairing.

Worrying about if they will scratch the fairing seems odd as you have to drill holes in it already, but to each their own.
FBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:42 AM   #348
redbaron@
Advrider

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic578 View Post
İ didn't know this site. Thanks a lot!!!
Aprilia Pegaso'98 (2004)
Honda Bali (2001)
redbaron@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #349
BigBranchDan
Lost in WNC

Oddometer: 19
1200 Adv winglets on 12GS

Last fall I installed the winglets on my 09 12GS. A big help in the buffeting! Recently (again from reviews here and a UK forum I discovered) I added the 2-piece Givi windshield/screen. Now for the first time since 1995 (2 GS's) I can ride in comfort! One odd thing I noticed even before adding the winglets and even more so now, is that when I ride through a lengthy interstate tunnel (av. 65-70), it is dead quiet on the bike. Anyone have an idea why that is so? It's like riding in a vacuum.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #350
kerryblue
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
I guess the bikes are different depending on the year. My 2010 has the nut plate already install under the faring. The hardest part was lining up the hole to drill through the faring to hit the nut plate.
G
kerryblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:22 AM   #351
qman8
GS09

Oddometer: 507
Wicked

Quote:
I can report that the winglets DO cut down on the noise and buffeting significantly. I'm still running stock screen (09 GS)
qman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:09 AM   #352
blurin03
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBB View Post
Per diagram and looking at a 2012 GSA at the dealers the washers should go between the winglet and the fairing.

Worrying about if they will scratch the fairing seems odd as you have to drill holes in it already, but to each their own.

That is where myself and a friend put our rubber washers. Lining up where to drill the holes is tough. Start small and look to see if it's alined correctly.

I can say that both of us felt very little difference in wind noise or buffeting.
I have two different screens, neither stock, and my friend has the lowered version GS with the lowered seat and stock shield.

Wind noise and setup depends on many factors.
blurin03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #353
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,019
Just FYI, I stopped by A&S Cycles today and they had the winglets in stock, so I told the parts guy I wanted a set to put on my GS. He got me the winglets, 4 screws, 4 steel sleeves, 4 slip-nuts, and 3 grommets. That was all the grommets he had in stock, so he had to order 1.

When I got home, I took the winglets out of their boxes and discovered that they already had grommets installed! And, yes, the boxes were sealed.

He did not even try to supply plastic washers. I looked at the fiche on Max BMW's site and it shows the plastic washers, but says they're "NA". So, I may go by Lowe's or someplace and get some - or I may not.

My point is simply that, if you're ordering these parts, I don't think you need to explicitly order the rubber grommets. Just the winglets, screws, sleeves, and a set of slip-nuts (which are not shown in the fiche). And you only need the slip-nuts if you have a later model GS that has the mounting flange for a powerlet socket and the winglets already under the fairing. My '09 does have it and I think all later ones do. Not sure about earlier years. But, without that flange, you'll need regular (Nyloc) nuts or well nuts.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #354
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Final update: I finally installed my winglets. For some reason, though I did read MOST of this (very long) thread, I was under the impression that the winglets would fit with no interference from my stock '09 GS windscreen. I was wrong.

I cannot use the 2 or 3 highest positions of the stock windscreen, with the winglets installed. I will have to trim the bottom corners of the windscreen before I can raise it all the way.

I do remember reading where some posters had similar issues but, for some reason, I thought the stock windscreen was supposed to be okay. Obviously, I was wrong. And I looked at a couple of new '12 GS's in the shop at A&S and their windscreens were the same as mine.

ps. a 7/32" drill bit made the perfect sized hole in the fairing, to insert the winglet screws through. a 3/16" hole was just a touch too small.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:46 PM   #355
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,550
I went into Max's BMW today and told the parts guy what I wanted to do. He knew exactly all the parts and threw an order together. Came out to $92 bucks so maybe they went up just a little. Anyway I'm looking forward to trying it.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #356
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorTroy View Post
I went into Max's BMW today and told the parts guy what I wanted to do. He knew exactly all the parts and threw an order together. Came out to $92 bucks so maybe they went up just a little. Anyway I'm looking forward to trying it.
See these? $44.95
http://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw/1200gs_wind_wing.html
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:08 PM   #357
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurelPerryOnLand View Post
Yes. They are a bit huge and not as athletically pleasing as the oem part, at least to me.....
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #358
plus5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
For those looking to try this with a 2010-2012 GS, here's my experience:

The wings ordered from A&S do come with the big black rubber grommets already installed, so those weren't necessary.

There's a metal flange on the frame that has the screw holes for these already.
To line up the holes perfectly, there are 2 options:

1. go underneath the bike with a felt tip marker and push it up through the holes and mark the underside of the beak. Then remove beak and drill (tape the topside and go from small bit to large bit).
2. one of the bmw places heats a coat hanger to red hot and pushes it up through the holes on the metal flange without taking the beak off the bike to melt holes in the right location, then they expand the holes with a drill.
3. if you have a small enough drill or a long enough bit, you could potentially drill right through those holes and up through the beak without removing it. I've only read of one person doing this, and I know that none of my drills would fit in there.

I opted to mark and remove the beak. The hardest part of removing the beak was figuring out that you have to lift up and rotate outwards on the aftmost bits to unhook them before you could slide it off past the frame. Getting it back on was easy, getting it off the first time took some jiggling and headscratching.

You'll want to order 4 u-nut's or clip-on nuts (as the bmw guy called them) to screw the screws into. These slide right onto that metal flange. Cost: $5.80. They're the same as the other clip-on nuts that the faring screws mate to.

On my 2012 GS with ADV windscreen in the lowest position and the seat in the high position, these help a little but not a lot. I'm 5'10 with a 30-31" inseam. I still get buffeting and wind noise. I plan to experiment with the screen position and the seat position, and maybe put the stock screen back on or order a givi or calsci for comparison.
plus5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #359
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by plus5 View Post
3. if you have a small enough drill or a long enough bit, you could potentially drill right through those holes and up through the beak without removing it. I've only read of one person doing this, and I know that none of my drills would fit in there.
I did not remove the beak on my '09. I used my regular Makita cordless drill and a normal length 7/32" bit and drilled through the holes in the flanges from underneath. It wasn't easy, but it wasn't that hard, either.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:36 AM   #360
dlbushey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Fuel economy

I just finished reading this entire thread and didn't see anyting about fuel economy. For those who have installed these wingletts, has it affected your MPG? If so, in which direction? Up or down?

His: '07 R1200GSA,'01 R1150RT
Hers: '93 K1100LT, '03 F650CS

dlbushey is offline   Reply With Quote