Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2006, 02:41 PM   #31
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedge36
Don't get too excited. The point of this thread is that the winglets for the 1200GS Adventure can be fitted to the standard 1200GS, not your 1150.

You can buy some acrylic and a heat gun and experiment like I did, though. The difference on an 1150 isn't nearly as remarkable as the difference between the 1200s.
Well hell. I was pretty excited there for a while. Not as excited as this guy, but close.

I think it would be worth $45 to see if it can be done on the 1150. It gets pretty uncomfy at times, and I just love the versatility of that bike. I usually only take the RT on the longest highway-only trips, and when I see a nice looking dirt road I lament not having the GS along... I've got a heat gun and a charge account at Ace Hardware, maybe I'll play with some stock acrylic before I decide on the winglets.

Thanks again for the tips!

Doug
Old 07-15-2006, 06:40 PM   #32
Hedge36
Chasing parts.

Oddometer: 43,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix
I think it would be worth $45 to see if it can be done on the 1150. It gets pretty uncomfy at times, and I just love the versatility of that bike. I usually only take the RT on the longest highway-only trips, and when I see a nice looking dirt road I lament not having the GS along... I've got a heat gun and a charge account at Ace Hardware, maybe I'll play with some stock acrylic before I decide on the winglets.

Thanks again for the tips!

Doug
No sweat. Use Dualoc or the industrial-strength velcro to attach them.

If you're lucky I've got the ones I made kicking around here somewhere. If I do I'll PM you and send 'em your way to use as a starting point.
Hedge36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 09:07 AM   #33
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedge36
No sweat. Use Dualoc or the industrial-strength velcro to attach them.

If you're lucky I've got the ones I made kicking around here somewhere. If I do I'll PM you and send 'em your way to use as a starting point.
I'm not known for my GOOD luck..... Thanks for the offer, that would be sweet!

Doug
Old 07-16-2006, 01:36 PM   #34
mrmaico OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyaC
I just picked up my "winglets" today and will try mounting them this weekend, it's 98 degrees here in St. Paul, MN but I can't wait to try them! I still have the stock screen and am tired of taking a wind beating.

Did any one make a metal bracket to go on the underside to beef up the mounting (since no frame support on regular GS)? Or, I'll go with fender washers instead.
Did you get a chance to mount your winglets CyaC? I'm curious how they will work with the stock screen.

A couple more points about my install.....You'll need fine thread (not sure of the pitch) M5 nuts for the screws that come with the screen from BMW. I found stainless ones at Fastenal. I double nutted mine rather than use Locktite, I've read before that plexiglass/lexan and Locktite don't play well together. Also with the Givi screen if you raise it too far it will eventually contact the winglets so if you run your Givi in the higher positions you may have to trim the corner of the screen. If you look at my pics you should be able to see what I'm talking about.

Barry
mrmaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 10:58 PM   #35
CyaC
Reality Unplugged

Oddometer: 223
Thumb Winglets ROCK!

I installed my "windswept deflectors" as BMW calls them on my 12GS and it was fairly simple. I used Nylock M5 nuts, a rubber grommet underneath and a large fender washer to spread the load over the fairing piece that they mount to, along with the BMW washers, etc.. One thing to note, loosen up the windscreen and move it through it's adjustment range to be sure that the screen doesn't hit the winglets and your good to go, no trimming etc required.

I tested them today and they take 90% of the blast of noisy air away that was driving me crazy before I installed them. They're amazing and I can't see the need for any other after market screen. I think BMW should add the frame tabs and make these standard on all GS's.

In short, best $60 I've spent on my GS!!!
2011 Can Am 800XXC
One lucky Gal!
CyaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 11:32 PM   #36
mini-me
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
+1

I can't agree more - BMW should make thse standard on all GS's.

I am 6'-4" with the tall seat running the "short" Givi screen and this stops the buffeting in all but the highest windshield position.

I was nervous about drilling holes in my bodywork but now wish I had done his sooner.
mini-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:27 AM   #37
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 64,678
Anybody running them with a stock shield?

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:47 AM   #38
mrmaico OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa
Anybody running them with a stock shield?
Yes, I believe CyaC is. The more I ride with them the happier I am. I too was hesitant to cut into my bodywork but I don't regret it a bit now. It's even less fatiguing to ride now because it is so much quieter.

Barry
Old 07-27-2006, 09:19 AM   #39
YetiMoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
I'm excited about this conversion and just ordered the parts (online from Max's BMW). I have the touratech clip on piece for the top of my stock screen and it definitely helps, but I can tell just from putting my hand out to block the wind coming around the sides of the fairing that there is a lot of dirty/turbulent air there. Hopefully these will help.
My question though, is about availability. Max's sent me an e-mail saying they would have to order them and they would take a while. Has anyone ordered them recently and found them in stock? Any clues on availability? I would hate to be stuck in backorder hell on these (already have enough of that from Touratech ).
YetiMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:45 AM   #40
CyaC
Reality Unplugged

Oddometer: 223
Yep, I'm using them on my stock GS, with the stock screen and love them!

I don't think it would take too long to get them if ordered.

Oh and I FINALLY got my GS adventure bags, awesome. So now my GS is a Lite GSA??

Colleen
2011 Can Am 800XXC
One lucky Gal!
CyaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:26 AM   #41
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 12,728
I ordered a set last week, they are in at the dealer in Eugene, but not all the mounting hardware arrived yet, so, I hope to be able to report on their worthiness when mounted with the Z-Technik adjustable screen on my 12GS,,ptrmn
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:35 AM   #42
ketchup57
Fundamentally Weird

Oddometer: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterman
I ordered a set last week, they are in at the dealer in Eugene, but not all the mounting hardware arrived yet, so, I hope to be able to report on their worthiness when mounted with the Z-Technik adjustable screen on my 12GS,,ptrmn
Please post when you get these installed - I have the same wind screen and have been curious if those winglets would work with it, and if they would make any difference.

"Well done ketchup - I don't recall anyone missing the point quite so comprehensively..." - MikeO

05 Yamaha Majesty - ADV Scooter
04 Ural Troyka - ADV Hack
05 BMW 1200 GS - ADV Bike
ketchup57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:50 AM   #43
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 64,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyaC
Yep, I'm using them on my stock GS, with the stock screen and love them!

I don't think it would take too long to get them if ordered.

Oh and I FINALLY got my GS adventure bags, awesome. So now my GS is a Lite GSA??

Colleen
Cool! Thanks!

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:03 PM   #44
Schtum
Free Genie

Oddometer: 1,930
UK experience of this mod, including part no's. here......

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78904
Schtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 02:27 PM   #45
mrmaico OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiMoto
I'm excited about this conversion and just ordered the parts (online from Max's BMW). I have the touratech clip on piece for the top of my stock screen and it definitely helps, but I can tell just from putting my hand out to block the wind coming around the sides of the fairing that there is a lot of dirty/turbulent air there. Hopefully these will help.
My question though, is about availability. Max's sent me an e-mail saying they would have to order them and they would take a while. Has anyone ordered them recently and found them in stock? Any clues on availability? I would hate to be stuck in backorder hell on these (already have enough of that from Touratech ).
My guess is you'd be lucky to find them in stock anywhere, seems to be alot of people interested in installing them. The sooner you order though, the sooner they'll arrive. They are DEFINITELY worth the wait!

Barry