User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2006, 06:46 AM   #46
bimmer
back in the saddle

Oddometer: 9
part # for the underside support?

do you have a part number for the underside support? How does it attach to the frame? I ordered the winglets and now need to order the other parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaico
You mean they make other colors besides Ocean Blue? I had no idea!

I used these 2 pics below to decide how to position them. I actually ended up putting mine a little farther inboard than shown here. The 3rd pic is of the underside support that comes on the Adv. and is attached to the frame. I was a little concerned about whether they would have enough support without them but just by grabbing them and trying to flex them while riding it doesn't appear to be flexing the bodywork much.

Just for the hell of it I rode home without my helmet on and even then at 80mph there was almost no wind noise. Another reason is because it's 100 degrees out, I think that's 5 days in a row now we've topped 100 and the forecast for the next few days is 105, 107, 101, 100, 100. And people think it's always cold in ND!

Sounds like a fun trip Willi, here are a bunch of photos from my trip to Colo. last month.
http://mrmaico.smugmug.com/gallery/1568937

Go for it GB, you know you have to try it just so you can live up to your name.

Barry

bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:04 AM   #47
mrmaico OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer
do you have a part number for the underside support? How does it attach to the frame? I ordered the winglets and now need to order the other parts.
As far as I know that support is a part of the Adv. frame so there isn't going to be a part number for it. Mine seems plenty sturdy enough just using the fender washers.

Barry
mrmaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 05:36 PM   #48
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 12,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchup57
Please post when you get these installed - I have the same wind screen and have been curious if those winglets would work with it, and if they would make any difference.
got the parts, mounted them on the bike, they look like they will hit the Z-tech adjusters where I put em, but I can trim a tiny notch if they do,,goin to test for windyness/buffeting,,back in an hour,,ptrmn
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 06:00 PM   #49
rideLD
The further the better!

Oddometer: 5,277
Just put mine on today. Test ride will have to wait because it is wicked hot here and I have a hangover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
We pay Motorrad to design weight off the bike then pay TouraTech to bolt it right back on.
rideLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 09:59 PM   #50
ketchup57
Fundamentally Weird

Oddometer: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterman
got the parts, mounted them on the bike, they look like they will hit the Z-tech adjusters where I put em, but I can trim a tiny notch if they do,,goin to test for windyness/buffeting,,back in an hour,,ptrmn

rc46 - over 100f here and not hung over - having a hard time feeling sorry for you

"Well done ketchup - I don't recall anyone missing the point quite so comprehensively..." - MikeO

05 Yamaha Majesty - ADV Scooter
04 Ural Troyka - ADV Hack
05 BMW 1200 GS - ADV Bike
ketchup57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 12:00 AM   #51
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 12,750
i rode the local strip,, i rode the rural twisties, i rode the freeway, i rode behind the big trucks, i rode alongside the big trucks, i rode in any circumstance i could create in my short test. I can say this,,the wind is still there, it just goes in a different vortex, and that is gonna be somewhat subjective to your height,riding position, so on,,I found there is a definite difference to adding the "airflow deflectors" or whatever BMW calls the winglets. The problem is in describing the change in a usable context to any foreseeable purchaser. I am 6'4", and so the face of my helmet is above the Z-Technik screen anyway, and I felt no real wind change there. As to the reduction in buffeting, I can say that I did feel a difference at 40 mph in the turbulence directly behind the screen, more like wind blowing past you instead of beating you from both sides. At 70 mph, there is a noticable hole created in front of my chest, a sort of calmness akin to the dead zone behind an RT windscreen. Behind a big truck, no difference, but passing the trucks and forging thru the blast zone when you clear their front turbulence, smoother and more friendly,, I did this numerous tries to make sure it wasn't a prejudiced observation, and doggone if it doesn't seem there is less battering to the bike and rider passing a 70 mph semi thru his front wash. I rode for an hour or so with my XD on my head, then came back to the shop and got my POS shorty hat, and hit some county roads. The wind that used to hit the sides of my face now swirls in front of me. The air that moved over my shoulders is still there, but the accompanying breeze on my waist and up to armpit level now goes around me to the back. I rode for a brief interval with the screen pushed forward in it's most upright position and that created a whirlwind of chaos behind the screen that would surely soak you in minutes if it were raining, not good, not good at all! But with the screen back , or with a taller screen,,good! I think that if a rider is shorter than I am, that the winglets can be a significant difference in the wind factor, maybe to me not so significant, but surely a noticible difference, and I'm glad I gottem! If you have the adjustable screen from Z-tek, you can adjust the mounting to give clearance for the firm-joint arms. Mine are pretty close, but not a problem.
Attached Images

peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 05:10 AM   #52
bobcopro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Anybody want a set of the winglets and fasteners?

I had ordered these before I put on the Deserto III screen and they won't fit with it. ANyone who wants them can have them for the cost from my dealer, I'll ship for free.

Bob
bobcopro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 06:55 AM   #53
Deadman
Badly Bent

Oddometer: 23
Pm Sent

I'll take them. Sent you a PM.

'05 R1200 GS
'02 VTR 996
'79 Ducati 900 SS
'72 Norton 750 Commando
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:14 AM   #54
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcopro
I had ordered these before I put on the Deserto III screen and they won't fit with it. ANyone who wants them can have them for the cost from my dealer, I'll ship for free.

Bob

You could trim them to make them fit!
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:51 AM   #55
ketchup57
Fundamentally Weird

Oddometer: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterman
I can say this,,the wind is still there, it just goes in a different vortex, and that is gonna be somewhat subjective to your height,riding position, so on,,I found there is a definite difference to adding the "airflow deflectors" or whatever BMW calls the winglets. I am 6'4", and so the face of my helmet is above the Z-Technik screen anyway, and I felt no real wind change there. As to the reduction in buffeting, I can say that I did feel a difference at 40 mph in the turbulence directly behind the screen, more like wind blowing past you instead of beating you from both sides. At 70 mph, there is a noticable hole created in front of my chest, a sort of calmness akin to the dead zone behind an RT windscreen. Behind a big truck, no difference, but passing the trucks and forging thru the blast zone when you clear their front turbulence, smoother and more friendly,, I did this numerous tries to make sure it wasn't a prejudiced observation, and doggone if it doesn't seem there is less battering to the bike and rider passing a 70 mph semi thru his front wash. I think that if a rider is shorter than I am, that the winglets can be a significant difference in the wind factor, but surely a noticible difference, and I'm glad I gottem! If you have the adjustable screen from Z-tek, you can adjust the mounting to give clearance for the firm-joint arms. Mine are pretty close, but not a problem.
Thank you - that is exactly what I needed to know - I was hoping that the small wings at the bottom of the Z-tech would be doing the work of those winglets, but it looks like I will have to order a set, I am a bit shorter at about 6' so may see more benefit.

"Well done ketchup - I don't recall anyone missing the point quite so comprehensively..." - MikeO

05 Yamaha Majesty - ADV Scooter
04 Ural Troyka - ADV Hack
05 BMW 1200 GS - ADV Bike
ketchup57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 11:52 AM   #56
rideLD
The further the better!

Just finished a 100 mile ride in 100 degree temps with 70% humidity. I'm a believer in the winglets. Keep in mind that I had already eliminated all the buffeting with my Givi screen and my TT spoiler. All I had was a little wind noise that really did not bother me at all. With the winglets 80% of that noise is gone. I should also mention that I really could not tell the difference until I removed my ear plugs and opened my face shield. There is a noticeable difference in still air from the middle of my arms to the top of my shoulders. The winglets should really help in the winter and also when it it raining. My only complaint is they block some of the air that used to come in through the vents on my Savannah 2 jacket arms. That's a small price to pay. I am very happy with the winglets.

Quote:
We pay Motorrad to design weight off the bike then pay TouraTech to bolt it right back on.

rideLD screwed with this post 07-30-2006 at 03:34 PM
Old 07-30-2006, 03:01 PM   #57
CyaC
Reality Unplugged

Oddometer: 223
I just finished a 550 mile weekend with the winglets and the stock GS screen and what a different. MUCH quieter, less wind slapping me around, less tiring at the end of the day. I don't see any reason to change a thing now and love it!

I also got my new ADV cases on to and they are awesome!

I've lovin my 12GS!!
2011 Can Am 800XXC
One lucky Gal!
CyaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 05:39 PM   #58
Tslepebull
Snakecharmer

Oddometer: 264
Has anyone used the ADV wingletts on a regular R1200GS long enough to evaluate the possibility of fender cracking? I mean it looks like a great idea -- and cheap too, but if it results in a cracked fender it is not so good an idea. Just asking and hoping for good news.
Tslepebull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:29 PM   #59
mrmaico OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tslepebull
Has anyone used the ADV wingletts on a regular R1200GS long enough to evaluate the possibility of fender cracking? I mean it looks like a great idea -- and cheap too, but if it results in a cracked fender it is not so good an idea. Just asking and hoping for good news.
Did you really have to bring this up? $302 for a new one! Sure, I'll admit, I wish they were mounted a little more solid than they are however I don't think they are anywhere near so flimsy that the fender is going to crack. After only 3 weeks I haven't had any problems. Bottom line is, I actually enjoy riding my bike so much more with them on that it's well worth the risk to me.

Barry
mrmaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 08:24 PM   #60
rideLD
The further the better!

No fricking way. I'll eat my beak if my fairing cracks from the miniscule forces of these winglets. I can't see how it would be possible.

Quote: