User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2006, 02:40 AM   #61
Slideking
Etta

Oddometer: 13
Thumb Great!!!!

I was looking at getting the TT screen extension as my head got a lot of buffetting. I frowned on the price though - R1100.00 for the clamp-on extension and another R500.00 ($200 total) or so for the extra bracket to support the windshield. After seeing this thread, I decided to give the winglets a bash. I am amazed at the results. I use the standard GS screen and the buffeting is 90% less and noise is about half. At the total sum of R467.00 ($65) for all the hardware and 45 mins spent fitting it all, it is a great investment. The pointy bits just behind the adjustment knobs on the standard screen need to be cut back a bit more squarely to allow for the full range of adjustment of the screen. Definitely recommended!
Slideking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 07:38 AM   #62
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc46
No fricking way. I'll eat my beak if my fairing cracks from the miniscule forces of these winglets. I can't see how it would be possible.

I bet you're right, but BMW has added a backing plate attached to the frame for a reason.. I'm sure it's overkill though.. I would have liked to have added those winglets just because they're available, but with my TT D3 screen / fairing, I can't, which isn't a bad thing! Someone's saved me from myself.
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:41 AM   #63
rideLD
The further the better!

Oddometer: 5,349
Found another huge possitive about the winglets last night. I had to do a couple hundred miles of slab on I-80 yesterday. I hate riding this particular stretch because there are so many trucks. It took me a while to realize but the effects of the dirty air produced by the trucks is almost completely eliminated by the winglets. I was really shocked that those little pieces of plastic could have that big of an effect on the dirty air you get behind trucks. Its seem that they block the air that hits your upper chest and upper arms which makes a really big difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
We pay Motorrad to design weight off the bike then pay TouraTech to bolt it right back on.
rideLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:27 AM   #64
mrmaico OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
Quote:
Found another huge possitive about the winglets last night. I had to do a couple hundred miles of slab on I-80 yesterday. I hate riding this particular stretch because there are so many trucks. It took me a while to realize but the effects of the dirty air produced by the trucks is almost completely eliminated by the winglets. I was really shocked that those little pieces of plastic could have that big of an effect on the dirty air you get behind trucks. Its seem that they block the air that hits your upper chest and upper arms which makes a really big difference.
I thought I'd noticed that too Karl but wasn't sure if it was just my imagination, I really haven't ridden much freeway since my install. Another thing I noticed, although I don't normally do it, is that the bike is much easier to control with your hands off the bars. It's much easier to keep the bike going where you want it to with less body english required.

I know what you mean about I-80, I drove across Iowa a couple of years ago and it seemed like it was bumper to bumper trucks the length of the state!

Barry
mrmaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:43 AM   #65
kirkmoon
Making up for lost youth

Oddometer: 8,909
Jeez - these things sound so good I'm wondering if they will make me look younger and thinner too?

Got mine on (back)order. Can't wait. Thanks for luring me in guys.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:28 PM   #66
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto
If anyone calls their BMW dealer to order these parts, having them split up like this will match the pattern the dealer expects:

06 32 7 657 966 screw .80 x 4
46 61 2 308 594 washer .80 x 4
46 63 7 664 846 bushing $1.60 x 4
46 63 7 694 399 left wing $17.20
46 63 7 694 400 right wing $17.20
I finally got around to mounting mine a few minutes ago. No drama. Key bit of info for anyone contemplating this who orders the BMW bolts for mounting is that you'll need nuts for them. What you want is self locking (nylon insert) nuts in the pitch and size:

.8 x 5mm

Still need to take a test ride, but AMA Superbike racing is coming on the idiot box in half an hour, so that will have to wait...
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 01:55 PM   #67
rideLD
The further the better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto
Still need to take a test ride, but AMA Superbike racing is coming on the idiot box in half an hour, so that will have to wait...
But first we have to endure 30 minutes of "Superbikes" . WTF was SPEED thinking.

Quote:
We pay Motorrad to design weight off the bike then pay TouraTech to bolt it right back on.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:58 PM   #68
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
But first we have to endure 30 minutes of "Superbikes" . WTF was SPEED thinking.
Oh, I dunno. Didn't turn the box on until 4:59. Did see the ads for it and it looks like a complete waste of time.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:00 PM   #69
GELSTRA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Thumb

New winglets on yesterday. Today's ride ! They seem to keep the air off the handguards which are known turbulence generators. Thanks for the idea!

"It's not a bike; it's a 2 wheeled Jeep!"
GELSTRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:05 PM   #70
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,377
And you're using them with the stock screen or aftermarket?
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:01 AM   #71
GELSTRA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
And you're using them with the stock screen or aftermarket?
Givi.

"It's not a bike; it's a 2 wheeled Jeep!"
GELSTRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:04 AM   #72
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Thanks

Just ordered the parts! Thanks, one of the great threads! Just what I've been looking for!!!
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:24 AM   #73
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Thought I'd mention that when the winglets are placed so that their back edge is even with the gap between body panels, a Givi screen will touch the winglets if you put the Givi screen all the way up/forward. It will contact at the small points to the rear of the black plastic knobs that we loosen/tighted when making screen adjustments.

This problem is easily remedied by snipping off about 1/4" of the offending windscreen corner. Hard to describe, but obvious when in front of you.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:11 PM   #74
Hooksta
Hook

Oddometer: 1,944
Quote:
If I remember correctly, you run your Givi screen in the lowest possible position...is that right? That's where I'm running mine now, but without the TT spoiler (which I am considering).
Hooksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 04:09 PM   #75
rideLD
The further the better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooksta
If I remember correctly, you run your Givi screen in the lowest possible position...is that right? That's where I'm running mine now, but without the TT spoiler (which I am considering).
Yep exactly. I'm 6'1" with a 33" inseam and I could not be happier with the setup. I should also add that I am on a tall Russell saddle in the high position which sits me up about 2-3" higher than stock. Without the TT spoiler I still have zero buffeting but I can't open my face sheild without it blowing closed and I get a fair amount of wind directly at the helmet. The TT spoiler raises the wind blast just above the helmet. I am a firm beleiver that if you have the stock screen or the GIVI and run it at any angle other than the lowest position it will create buffeting. (At least it does for me). The winglets really clean up the air that comes under your arms and hits you in the upper arms and chest. The GIVI, TT spoiler and Winglet combo works perfect for my body and my setup. RT like quiet.

Quote: