Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2006, 09:00 AM   #76
mrmaico OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto
I finally got around to mounting mine a few minutes ago. No drama. Key bit of info for anyone contemplating this who orders the BMW bolts for mounting is that you'll need nuts for them. What you want is self locking (nylon insert) nuts in the pitch and size:

.8 x 5mm

Still need to take a test ride, but AMA Superbike racing is coming on the idiot box in half an hour, so that will have to wait...
So, did you make it out for that test ride yet Emoto? Whaddya think?

Barry
mrmaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 09:23 PM   #77
Jeff49783
Private ASEL

Oddometer: 167
Installed Today

After reading all of the rants and raves, and binning both a CB screen and a Givi screen, I installed the winglets today.

A short test (20 mi) with the stock screen in all positions resulted in much smoother/quieter air at speeds up to 90. The buffeting is gone! The screen actually worked as it was probably intended, the lower you place it the more air you get. I'll try it w/ the Givi when it cools off in a few months.

Good bang for the buck, I'm pleased. Thanks for posting this stuff, gents.

gone - 2008 Bandit 1250 ABS, 2006 XT225, 1995 K75RT, 2005 F650GS, 2005 R1200GS, 2003 R1150RT, 2001 R1100RS
Jeff49783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:28 PM   #78
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaico
Thanks Karl.

06327657966 screw .80 x 4
46612308594 washer .80 x 4
46637664846 bushing $1.60 x 4
46637694399 left wing $17.20
46637694400 right wing $17.20

Those are Chicago BMW prices. Took a few weeks for them to get them in.

You definitely want to get the hardware so they are spaced to sit off your bodywork a bit.

I figured if I didn't like them for whatever reason and took them off I will just find some small black rubber plugs to fill the holes but I don't see that happening now.

Barry
Just got mine today and thanks for your part numbers; I have a minor concern. I was going to mount them with fender washers and nylok nuts but then started to think a bit. I am not a great fan of wellnuts, but thinking that wellnuts might absorb some impact should you inadvertantly hit one/bang it. Nahhhh, probably over-engineering the thing.

Anyone notice how they are mounted on the GSA?
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:56 PM   #79
mrmaico OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
Just got mine today and thanks for your part numbers; I have a minor concern. I was going to mount them with fender washers and nylok nuts but then started to think a bit. I am not a great fan of wellnuts, but thinking that wellnuts might absorb some impact should you inadvertantly hit one/bang it. Nahhhh, probably over-engineering the thing.

Anyone notice how they are mounted on the GSA?
Interesting, can't say I've ever seen a wellnut before. Might not be a bad idea but I don't know if it would really make a difference or not.
http://www.emhart.com/products/pop/wellnut.asp

Here's what the GSA mount looks like. Don't be fooled by the color, it's a repaint.

Barry
Old 08-24-2006, 01:48 PM   #80
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,903
Quote:
So, did you make it out for that test ride yet Emoto? Whaddya think?

Barry
Yes, I did finally get a chance to take a weekend ride up to VT to go camping, and that was my first ride after mounting the winglets. I would say that the winglets quieted things down a bit. Not a HUGE difference for me, but a nice one nonetheless. I think it is a worthwhile mod to make. Of course, it had been a week since I had ridden, so perhaps I would have noticed more of a change had I ridden back-to-back with and without them.

I will be interested in how differently (if at all) rain is deflected with them in place.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:58 PM   #81
mattmor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
winglet mounting...

It seems pretty self explanitory how to mount them. But how is everyone positioning them on the fender. Are you lining up the inside edge or outside? Hope you can explain a little.

Also what did you do for install. Use a really small drill bit and move up? Or just one shot? I don't wanna crack the panel or anything. Did you tape the panel first?

Matt
mattmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 02:40 PM   #82
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Interesting, can't say I've ever seen a wellnut before. Might not be a bad idea but I don't know if it would really make a difference or not.
http://www.emhart.com/products/pop/wellnut.asp

Here's what the GSA mount looks like. Don't be fooled by the color, it's a repaint.

Barry
My only thought for using the wellnut is so that the mount is a bit 'softer'. I'm nut a great fan of them but BMW does use them quite a bit on their cycles. Hopefully, using a wellnut would dramatically lessen the probability (I think) of a hard bang into the winglet and cracking the tupperware. The wellnut, appropriately torqued/tightened could preclude that. But then again, what would have been perhaps a 4-5 mm hole, the wellnut is a lot bigger. Probably take my chances without the wellnut.

Thanks
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 03:31 PM   #83
rideLD
The further the better!

Oddometer: 5,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmor
It seems pretty self explanitory how to mount them. But how is everyone positioning them on the fender. Are you lining up the inside edge or outside? Hope you can explain a little.

Also what did you do for install. Use a really small drill bit and move up? Or just one shot? I don't wanna crack the panel or anything. Did you tape the panel first?

Matt
Just slap them on and see where they look good and dont interfere with the motion of the windscreen adjustment. Keep in mind the further they hang off towards the outside of the bike, the more good they will do. There is a stamp under the fairing where the accessory socket hole would be if you don't have one. Make sure the cutout lines up with the stamp. Its really very easy. Measure twice, drill once.

For drilling I always use a stepped drill bit when drilling plastic. They work best.

BTW, I used the BMW tab nuts just like the ones in the picture of the adventure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
We pay Motorrad to design weight off the bike then pay TouraTech to bolt it right back on.

rideLD screwed with this post 08-24-2006 at 08:22 PM
rideLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 05:32 PM   #84
Jeff49783
Private ASEL

Oddometer: 167
Quote:

Matt
I ran a small pilot hole first, after measuring twice, of course.

gone - 2008 Bandit 1250 ABS, 2006 XT225, 1995 K75RT, 2005 F650GS, 2005 R1200GS, 2003 R1150RT, 2001 R1100RS
Jeff49783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 01:51 PM   #85
Julio_Babucha
Happy to ride my GS

Oddometer: 72
Just great

2.200 kms thru Spain in one week, and les noise, less wind, less stress, and a bit more heat....

from South of Europe...
Old 08-31-2006, 02:29 PM   #86
Schwarz Baron
Mitglied mir, Nicht mir

Oddometer: 102
Hate to rain on your parade guys, but there is a minor piece of frame work, welded to the ADV frame,I guess its there for a good reason, ie, flexing...just be careful, some guys at home here are having problems with the screen flexing and cracking around the upper mounts on the sub frame, so anythings possible. I have attached a small pic of my underside of the beak to let you see..

just be careful..

Please don't be offended by me MY PICS

BLOG

Quote Nachtflug

'Yes even on a cloudy day I think this bike deserves a nod. Not quite a hot bitch but Schwarz Baron looks to be a mans man. A GS riding man. A real cowboy. Nice job schwarzy. Have a cold one on me.'

+ 3 Naomi's awarded, not a hot bitch in sight
Schwarz Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:31 PM   #87
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,300
I think if you go back a few pages on this thread, you will see what some have done to adapt the winglets to the GS without the reinforcement tab and to compensate for the lack of support from the frame side.

Has anyone's winglet mounts cracked due to wind pressure on a GS?
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:04 PM   #88
mrmaico OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
I think if you go back a few pages on this thread, you will see what some have done to adapt the winglets to the GS without the reinforcement tab and to compensate for the lack of support from the frame side.

No problems with mine, but to be honest, since I installed them I haven't ridden in any really heavy duty winds that I can recall.

Barry
Old 08-31-2006, 03:11 PM   #89
rick danger
Off the wagon

Oddometer: 4,937
Quote:

Matt
Bradpoint bits work good

rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 04:39 AM   #90
Schwarz Baron
Mitglied mir, Nicht mir

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy

I did read the whole lot, just thought it was worth mentioning, and giving a word of caution....

Please don't be offended by me MY PICS

BLOG

Quote Nachtflug

'Yes even on a cloudy day I think this bike deserves a nod. Not quite a hot bitch but Schwarz Baron looks to be a mans man. A GS riding man. A real cowboy. Nice job schwarzy. Have a cold one on me.'

+ 3 Naomi's awarded, not a hot bitch in sight
Schwarz Baron is offline   Reply With Quote