Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2006, 06:09 AM   #91
rick danger
Off the wagon

Oddometer: 4,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedge36

You can buy some acrylic and a heat gun and experiment like I did, though.
If you get some 1/8" lexan (polycarbonate) you can cold bend it. I made a windshield that way

rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:21 AM   #92
rick danger
Off the wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaico
Did you really have to bring this up? $302 for a new one! Sure, I'll admit, I wish they were mounted a little more solid than they are however I don't think they are anywhere near so flimsy that the fender is going to crack. After only 3 weeks I haven't had any problems. Bottom line is, I actually enjoy riding my bike so much more with them on that it's well worth the risk to me.

Barry
What if you bent up a piece of fairly thick sheet metal to the shape of the fender and epoxied it to the underside with quicksteel,it would distribute the stresses. Have it go down the side of the fender as well as the top edge. If you scuff up the metal and the fender the epoxy sticks good

Old 09-01-2006, 12:24 PM   #93
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick danger
What if you bent up a piece of fairly thick sheet metal to the shape of the fender and epoxied it to the underside with quicksteel,it would distribute the stresses. Have it go down the side of the fender as well as the top edge. If you scuff up the metal and the fender the epoxy sticks good
I think that even if you didn't glue it, it would help distribute forces.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 10:38 PM   #94
Artboy57
Slave to THE MOUSE

Oddometer: 690
You guys are the best Guinea Pigs ever! You know no fear. I salute you! I'll be ordering these goodies soon.(Although it's been over 100 degrees here in too-sunny Calif. , so Mr. Buffeting is almost my friend) I can't believe BMW makes ANY accessory for under a hundred bucks, amazing. Maybe they felt guilty. Keep bolting stuff on and telling us about it!

Cheers!

Artboy
Artboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 08:46 AM   #95
durtrider
adventure sow

Oddometer: 670
well shit. I measured twice and still drilled the damn thing wrong on one side. I was in to big of hurry I guess. After I marked where the holes go I used the tip of a knife blade and twisted back and forth just a touch in the center of the mark to "scribe" the hole. After drilling the first one, I started on the second hole where a little piece of drilling was...I thought it was the scribe. Now I have a durn hole where there should be no hole. @$%&*!! Guess I'll stick a rubber plug in there....or mabey a fookin flower stem or sumthin...
now as far as the the function goes...I like it! I rode 200 miles in wind and no wind, both directions, and could tell a big difference. I left late in the afternoon without a clear visor and didn't get back untill after dark, so I rode with my tinted visor up. Never once did it blow down.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:03 AM   #96
rick danger
Off the wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by durtrider
well shit. I measured twice and still drilled the damn thing wrong on one side. I was in to big of hurry I guess. After I marked where the holes go I used the tip of a knife blade and twisted back and forth just a touch in the center of the mark to "scribe" the hole. After drilling the first one, I started on the second hole where a little piece of drilling was...I thought it was the scribe. Now I have a durn hole where there should be no hole. @$%&*!! Guess I'll stick a rubber plug in there....or mabey a fookin flower stem or sumthin...
now as far as the the function goes...I like it! I rode 200 miles in wind and no wind, both directions, and could tell a big difference. I left late in the afternoon without a clear visor and didn't get back untill after dark, so I rode with my tinted visor up. Never once did it blow down.
Is the hole thats in the wrong place under the winglet? Paint the bottom of the winglet black where it touches the fender/beak

Old 09-02-2006, 09:20 AM   #97
durtrider
adventure sow

No, it's the top hole about halfway down into the cutout. I think I can fix it by putting another power socket in. I may have to flange it with a wide rubber gasket. I'm just irritated at myself for doing somethilng so stupid! It's not that big of deal... it will go along with the other dents and dings and "character flaws"!!
Old 09-02-2006, 09:24 AM   #98
mrmaico OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick danger
Actually, IMO I don't think it's going to make much difference in the amount of flex at the winglets. That whole section of the fairing is just flimsy so unless you came up with a way to maybe attach that fairing piece to the gas tank fairing piece it isn't going to do much, if any, good. Just try flexing that piece on your bike and you'll see what I mean. I'm pretty confident that it's going to be just fine as is. There is no noticeable deflection of the winglets at any speeds I have ridden so far (100mph briefly last evening).

Having said that, I still may play around with it this winter to see what I can come up with. Maybe even just shlep some epoxy on the whole underside (not the nuts though, don't want no epoxy on my nuts!) just to add some strength. A person has to have something to do during our long winters.

Barry
mrmaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 11:41 AM   #99
Schtum
Free Genie

Oddometer: 1,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by durtrider
well shit. I measured twice and still drilled the damn thing wrong on one side. I was in to big of hurry I guess. After I marked where the holes go I used the tip of a knife blade and twisted back and forth just a touch in the center of the mark to "scribe" the hole. After drilling the first one, I started on the second hole where a little piece of drilling was...I thought it was the scribe. Now I have a durn hole where there should be no hole. @$%&*!!
At the risk of telling you what you should have done after the event....

What you should have done was to cover the surfaces on which you were going to mount the winglets with masking tape > place each winglet in the desired location > mark through the mounting holes in the winglets with a pen onto the masking tape > drill small pilot hole through the masking tape > remove masking tape and drill correct size hole in the pilot hole > result
Schtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 06:33 PM   #100
Tslepebull
Snakecharmer

Oddometer: 265
Well I finally got the wingletts and installation hardware from Chicago. Since there were no instructions I reviewed the posts on the list and took a stab at installation. It was relatively easy (except for the part where your hand needs eyes so it can see under the bodywork). Anyway with the install done I put on my helmet for a test ride.

With my Nolan and no earplugs it was noticably more quiet. Maybe not $60 more quiet but some. Since I usually wear ear plugs I stopped and put them in. Well -- it really is more quiet, substantially more quiet, and the wash from trucks ahead doesn't hit my shoulders anymore. So by then I decided this really was a good idea. Then I moved my windscreen (GIVI) up one more notch. At that point things got quiet, REAL FREAKIN QUIET.

I have to give you guys credit this may be the best $45 I have ever spent on a recommendation from the forum.
Tslepebull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:03 AM   #101
MarcParnes
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 436
Just to add to the raves, I've been running an Adventure screen on my '05 R12GS for a while now and considered selling it based on the amount of buffeting I was getting. I installed the winglets on my '07 and rode it 950 miles yesterday. The buffeting is 100% gone! I can't believe it. I guess they designed the Adventure screen and winglets as a package. The screen alone stinks, together they're the best I've ever experienced on a GS.
A life of bikes
MarcParnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:50 PM   #102
Giuseppe
Medium-Viz

Oddometer: 469
Question Nippy Winglets?

So has anybody tried the Nippy Winglets from Nippy Norman's yet?

http://www.nippynormans.com/prodinfo...item=1&mitem=1

How do they stack up against the BMW version?
Giuseppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 07:55 AM   #103
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,674
Nippy Normans products are always top notch.. so I'm sure these look pretty effective... anyone use them?
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 08:13 AM   #104
durtrider
adventure sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPolenzani

These look to be just like BMW's version. I'm sure they would be fine.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:18 AM   #105
mrmaico OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPolenzani

Good question. It looks like they are about the same length but about an inch wider. I guess you could look at that two ways....they're wider and may work even better or they're wider and might be more vulnerable to getting hit by something and causing damage and since they're wider they're catching more air and exerting more force on the unsupported fairing possibly doing damage. Personally, I wouldn't worry about the small bit of added force since I don't notice any flexing of the fairing with the BMW winglets.

I had no idea when I first started this thread how much interest it would generate even though Willi-P actually tried it and posted before I did. I notice alot of people posting pics of they're GS's around the web with winglets on them lately. It's nice to know I was able to contribute something useful on this forum considering how much I've learned from spending (too much) time here.

Barry
mrmaico is offline   Reply With Quote