Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2006, 09:24 AM   #106
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPolenzani
So has anybody tried the Nippy Winglets from Nippy Norman's yet?

http://www.nippynormans.com/prodinfo...item=1&mitem=1

How do they stack up against the BMW version?
Does Nippynormans ship to the US?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 09:34 AM   #107
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,316
He ships to the US and Canada by registered mail. Super fast service too and his prices on his site include the VAT (sales tax), so the price to the US will be less than the posted price on his site. Excellent service too.
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:04 AM   #108
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
He ships to the US and Canada by registered mail. Super fast service too and his prices on his site include the VAT (sales tax), so the price to the US will be less than the posted price on his site. Excellent service too.
Thanks, man. Glad to know it!

Like I didn't have enough ways to spend money already...
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:09 AM   #109
cowan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
In fact his stuff reaches me on the East Coast about a week faster than A&S, Santa Cruz or Sierra BMW!

I was about to order then noticed the images show the left side mount. I just e-mailed them to make sure the cut out clears the right sided accessory plug, or if not how much trimming needs to be done.
cowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 07:49 PM   #110
LexDM3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Do winglets plus Givi work as well as Aeroflow?

My '05 R1200GS got hit from behind in June with me on it. Car totaled, bike totaled, yours truly beaten up but saved by all the gear.

I loved everything about my R12GS but the dumb windscreen. After reading every post here and elsewhere, I experimented with a Givi screen, a Laminar Lip, and Tobinators. Better but not good enough for a 6'2" guy with ringing ears and sensitivity to turbulence. After my GS went on to its next life, I rode an R12GS with the Aeroflow screen and that's the first thing that seemed to work for me. I can live with dead air, I can't live with turbulence.

I think I'm getting another R12GS (Do you know of a blue one for sale in the northeast US?) but I really want to get the screen thing right.

So whaddya think - Will the combo of the Adventure winglets and a Givi screen do it for me or will I need to pop $450+ for the Aeroflow?

Thanks. --Dan
Old 10-15-2006, 07:55 PM   #111
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,401
Dan,
Just another data point. I put a Cee Bailey's +4 taller & +2 wider on my 12GS and about 80% of the turbulence went away. I rode a stock 12GS Adv yesterday and I didn't notice any. I've got GSA winglets on order.
DangerMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 08:01 PM   #112
David_Moen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
Bill,

I'll be interested how the CB windsheild works with the winglets. I have the same screen. I bought the bike with the CB and the stock screen - put the stock one on to give it a try, it lasted a week! How did BMW ever come up with a windscreen that bad?
David_Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 08:17 PM   #113
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

David,
I ordered the winglets last week from Chicago BMW so I figure they're about 10 days away. Will advise upon installation & testing.

BTW: I found the airflow much smoother (and quieter) with the CB in the lowest postion (tilted towards the rider as far as it will go) since it promotes a laminar flow. I put it in the highest position and a noticeable amount of turbulence came back.
'05 BMW R1200GS
Old 10-16-2006, 07:55 AM   #114
David_Moen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
That's the way I ride with mine. One notch up results in a quieter ride for me with a large increase in turbulence for the passenger. Since I can't get out of the driveway without my wife or one of the kids jumping on the back, passenger comfort is a consideration.
David_Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:48 AM   #115
Chumley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Heads up on the Cee Bailey screen

I also have a +4" and +2". I had to cut off the corners of the windscreen at the bottom to provide necessary clearance. Took about 1" off, you'll know what I'm talking about when you dry fit the winglets.

Not a big deal, just get the Dremel out (or jig saw if you're so inclined) and afterwards took my palm sander to it to give the the nice clean edges. Used a very fine sand paper to round the cut edges to look like factory and then took Novus 3 and 2 to it so now it looks like factory. I've modified 3 to 4 windscreens (remember the trick of removing the lip to reduce buffeting on the old R100RS screen?) and the key thing is to protect the nice polished windscreen - it is so easy to scratch and you'll never suspect what will do the damage (this is experience talking here ).

Done deal, nice fit and looks like it was meant to be that way.
Chumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 09:34 AM   #116
mrmaico OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
I just took some pics for a friend installing a Givi and winglets to help in positioning them and thought I'd post it here for anyone doing this for a winter project.

As you can see the winglets end up pretty close to the screen but in the last shot of the bike you can see the screen angle is fairly erect, I don't really see any reason you'd want to go any higher than that with the screen and if you did I guess you could always trim the edge of the screen a bit. You really don't want to go any more to the rear with the winglets otherwise you will have a problem with mounting a front accessory socket if you ever want to add one.

http://mrmaico.smugmug.com/gallery/2200268

Barry
mrmaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 10:48 AM   #117
TheDuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaico
I just took some pics for a friend installing a Givi and winglets to help in positioning them and thought I'd post it here for anyone doing this for a winter project.

As you can see the winglets end up pretty close to the screen but in the last shot of the bike you can see the screen angle is fairly erect, I don't really see any reason you'd want to go any higher than that with the screen and if you did I guess you could always trim the edge of the screen a bit. You really don't want to go any more to the rear with the winglets otherwise you will have a problem with mounting a front accessory socket if you ever want to add one.

http://mrmaico.smugmug.com/gallery/2200268

Barry
Great pics, thanks.
TheDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 11:55 AM   #118
GELSTRA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Hey, Barry, great shots of the best color! I actually had to lower my Givi just to get more are on me because the winglets create such a still air place. Now I get really clean air flow. Putting it up tto straight I think might cause a bit of turbulence.

"It's not a bike; it's a 2 wheeled Jeep!"
GELSTRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 06:48 PM   #119
gregbenner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,150
I may have missed this, but has anyone tried these with a Cee Bailey windshield?

thx, greg
gregbenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 05:47 PM   #120
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbenner
I may have missed this, but has anyone tried these with a Cee Bailey windshield?
Yup. I've got a CB+4+2. Note the position of the screen in these shots. If you want to run the screen in the more upright positions you have to trim the screen. Mine is not.