User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2014, 10:40 PM   #1
jon6.0 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 546
Picked up a 2013 690 Duke today

I picked my 2013 690 Duke up today. I put 50 miles on her riding through town in stop and go traffic. This bike begs you to ride like a hooligan, lol. You just start thinking about moving/turning and you are there. So nimble and quite a bit of grunt. With the new cam and Evo1 map she putts right along at 4k rpm. Below that can get a bit snatchy, but I have the Kev o2 controller is in the mail to fix that. I left the DB killer in the Akra can and it's still a good healthy exhaust note without being Harley obnoxious. I did three heat cycles and then started doing full throttle pulls to 5500rpm with engine braking to slow down. After another heat cycle I did the same thing to 6500rpm. By the time I got near home I deemed it ready for a top speed run. 105mph came really quick in 5th and then eeked up to 110mph in 5th. I didn't see the point in shifting to 6th. Did a u-turn and one more 0-110mph pull before going down my driveway and parking her. I let her idle for a few minutes before shutting her down since I had just done the top speed runs. After work tomorrow I will be doing an oil change to get all the crap out that a brand new motor likes to put in the oil. I never wait 600 miles. I usually do my first oil change at 50-100 miles.

Something that surprised me were the rear sag being spot on even though I weigh 225lbs. My 990 Adventure was the same way. The rear spring was good for my weight. On my 990 I had to change the fork springs though. I need to find a good number for front sag on the 690 to see if I need new front springs. She felt pretty good just ripping around town and the few corners I did take. Honestly surprised since it's a basic shock and fork setup. KTM must have done their homework since nothing is adjustable but rear preload.

I really need to get a mount for my Valentine 1 radar detector. This bike has the potential to get me in quite a bit of trouble with Johnny Law. My next day off is Monday and I will be hitting the local twisty road to get the full experience. My 990 is going to be lonely as the 690 is way too fun on the street. I'll use the 990 for longer trips and off-road adventures. Which is the whole point of it anyway.

Is the GoPro going to be okay mounted on the fender or will it be all shakey? I didn't even think about it until my buddy mentioned it might be.

2011 KTM 250XC with lots of protection stuff for when I bounce it down a hill.
jon6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:55 PM   #2
cccolin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,035
nice
cccolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:30 AM   #3
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 784
I always liked this bike - looks like you have some of the parts of the R model like the exhaust, engine guards and seat. I was hoping for the R to come stateside, but maybe i should just pick one up and outfit it like yours. May I ask where you picked it up? ( I'm in Flagstaff)
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:43 AM   #4
jrflanne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
I used to own a Duke II and test rode the previous incarnation of the 690. I thought the motor was tons better than the 640 paint shaker mill. The FI was spot on with the one I rode too. Congratulations and nice bike.
jrflanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:44 AM   #5
jon6.0 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.0 View Post
I always liked this bike - looks like you have some of the parts of the R model like the exhaust, engine guards and seat. I was hoping for the R to come stateside, but maybe i should just pick one up and outfit it like yours. May I ask where you picked it up? ( I'm in Flagstaff)
Motocity AZ in Avondale. They have a black 2014 690 Duke there right now. It's my third bike from them. Give Geoff a call and tell him Jon sent you his way. They don't add a lot of bullshit to the prices of their bikes. I'm really surprised how well the non adjustable suspension is doing. Once I do some twisties I'll have a better feel for it. You can order the R model forks, shock, and billet triple clamps though. I'm very impressed with the power and she cruises right along at 75mph. Gets to 105mph quick as hell and takes a little more time to hit 110mph. I haven't pulled the DB killer though. I'll do another top speed run with it pulled and see how it does. I do like how it's pretty quiet cruising right now, but growls nicely when you're getting on it.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:46 AM   #6
jon6.0 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrflanne View Post
I used to own a Duke II and test rode the previous incarnation of the 690. I thought the motor was tons better than the 640 paint shaker mill. The FI was spot on with the one I rode too. Congratulations and nice bike.
Yeah, this dual plug head 690 is a pussycat compared to my old 640 Adventure. That bike would walk around the garage idling on the center stand. :)

Old 02-19-2014, 10:10 AM   #7
Milar
Life is an adventure.

Oddometer: 356
I live in the east valley and got mine from Ride Now Euro in Chandler.

I know of one other guy in the east valley that has one.
Looks like they are selling well in Arizona.

M

Old 02-19-2014, 10:43 AM   #8
jon6.0 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milar View Post
I live in the east valley and got mine from Ride Now Euro in Chandler.

I know of one other guy in the east valley that has one.
Looks like they are selling well in Arizona.

M
Sweet! We should do a ride sometime. I called that dealer and they were nowhere close to the deal Motocity gave me. Over $1000 more. They also had the bike listed less than $8k on Cycle Trader, but then when I asked they told me "that's the wrong price and this is the real price". Shady.

jon6.0 screwed with this post 02-19-2014 at 11:00 AM
Old 02-19-2014, 12:45 PM   #9
sfrider300
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Very interested in this bike but really want to ride one before committing, because KTMs and thumpers are both new territory for me. My dealer (Scuderia, in SF) says they're expecting to receive a demo bike sometime this spring.

Vibrations, low rev snatchiness, and suspension are all potential concerns. Based on everything I've read, none of those should be deal breakers. But altogether, it's too much to go on faith.

Also would like some assurance that it could be used for long distances without sacrificing a limb or something extreme like that. I know its not a touring bike, but it would be my only gas bike so might have to serve in that role if I'm suddenly called into duty to ride route 1 from SF to San Diego.

sfrider300 screwed with this post 02-19-2014 at 12:53 PM
sfrider300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:06 PM   #10
jon6.0 OP
Studly Adventurer

Don't be worried. The snatchiness at low revs isn't that bad at all if you are smooth with the throttle. I'm also on the sport map setting, so that's as aggressive as it gets. I've also got the Kev o2 mod coming with more closely matches closed and open loop air fuel ratio so a lot of that snatchiness is mitigated. He's a dude in Australia that builds theses little boxes that go inline with the o2 sensor. It's not just a resister either as that wouldn't work with the can-bus electrics. They make a luggage rack to fit 990 Supermoto bags to it and they also make a rear rack. The SW Motech rear rack is cheaper than the KTM piece. I use an Arai XD4 adventure helmet and the wind wasn't bad at all at 75mph. 65mph and you barely feel the wind. I used my Scorpion street helmet this morning and the wind bothered me less at 75mph. I'm going to get the little fly screen KTM sells and see if that makes any difference. Plus it looks cool! This bike is very smooth for a single and will cruise right along at 70-75mph all day long. 80-85 was a little vibey, but not annoying at all. Plus you can still do stuff like the KTM rubber isolated bars or the Flexx bars. I wouldn't hesitate to ride this bike up the coast. In fact, I plan on it. I have friends out in LA and I grew up in Novato. This bike is very point and shoot. You even contemplate turning and you are doing it. So light and flickable. Do it! You know you want to. Oh, and if you want an exhaust, just PM me and we can ship it to my house and I will forward it on to you. Stupid Cali laws.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:30 PM   #11
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 947
Well done sir, that thing is just pain sexy
doogiepooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:49 PM   #12
Mikehusa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Get a hacksaw and cut that rear fender off!
Mikehusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:00 PM   #13
jon6.0 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikehusa View Post
Get a hacksaw and cut that rear fender off!
I would, except the channel for the wiring is hollow. It would look like shit. KTM sells a nicer looking replacement and I think RG also has one.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:50 PM   #14
sfrider300
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon6.0 View Post
Don't be worried. The snatchiness at low revs isn't that bad at all if you are smooth with the throttle. I'm also on the sport map setting, so that's as aggressive as it gets. I've also got the Kev o2 mod coming with more closely matches closed and open loop air fuel ratio so a lot of that snatchiness is mitigated. He's a dude in Australia that builds theses little boxes that go inline with the o2 sensor. It's not just a resister either as that wouldn't work with the can-bus electrics. They make a luggage rack to fit 990 Supermoto bags to it and they also make a rear rack. The SW Motech rear rack is cheaper than the KTM piece. I use an Arai XD4 adventure helmet and the wind wasn't bad at all at 75mph. 65mph and you barely feel the wind. I used my Scorpion street helmet this morning and the wind bothered me less at 75mph. I'm going to get the little fly screen KTM sells and see if that makes any difference. Plus it looks cool! This bike is very smooth for a single and will cruise right along at 70-75mph all day long. 80-85 was a little vibey, but not annoying at all. Plus you can still do stuff like the KTM rubber isolated bars or the Flexx bars. I wouldn't hesitate to ride this bike up the coast. In fact, I plan on it. I have friends out in LA and I grew up in Novato. This bike is very point and shoot. You even contemplate turning and you are doing it. So light and flickable. Do it! You know you want to. Oh, and if you want an exhaust, just PM me and we can ship it to my house and I will forward it on to you. Stupid Cali laws.

That's reassuring, thanks. And thanks also for committing conspiracy to violate CA exhaust laws (actually I think only installing and/or riding is a violation).

I'll share this reply with my wife. I'm sure the bike will be in my garage in a matter of days (not).
sfrider300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:32 PM   #15
jon6.0 OP
Studly Adventurer

I bought my wife an an awesome Valentines day present. Then I told her about the new bike I bought. ;)