User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2014, 09:03 AM   #1
mcmann OP
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,624
Honda reaches 300 Million Milestone

Honda Marks Unprecedented Milestone Reaching Global Production of 300 Million Motorcycles

NOV. 24 - Achieving a milestone more than 65 years in the making, Honda Motor Co., Ltd. today announced production of its 300-millionth motorcycle. The milestone bike is a Honda Gold Wing produced at the company's Kumamoto Factory in Japan. Honda will celebrate the 40th anniversary of the iconic Gold Wing in 2015.

Honda began mass production of motorcycles in Japan in 1949 when it built the Honda 98cc Dream Type-D. Today, Honda produces motorcycles, ATV's and side-by-sides at 32 plants in 22 countries, including two plants in North America.

"This incredible milestone is the result of the millions of customers who have placed their trust in Honda and we would like to thank all of our customers, associates, dealers and community partners in North America for helping make it possible," said Bob Gurga, vice president of the Motorcycle Division for American Honda. "Now, we are focused on the future and the ways that we can harness the challenging spirit of Honda associates to create new joy for Honda customers."

In 1958, Honda introduced the Honda 50, known globally as the Super Cub, which would go on to revolutionize the industry. This iconic bike paved the way for Honda's expansion into the United States in 1959 and Canada in 1969. The Super Cub, which has sold nearly 90 million units globally since its inception, was the focus of a mid-1960s advertising campaign, 'You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda,' that played a major role in the transformation and growth of the U.S. motorcycle market.

In the 1960s, Honda became the best-selling motorcycle brand in the United States and the world, leading to the establishment of Honda of America Mfg. and the company's first U.S. production facility, the Marysville Motorcycle Plant. The plant, which opened on Sept.10, 1979 in Marysville, Ohio, produced both motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) until 2009. Production of ATVs has since shifted to Honda of South Carolina Mfg. (HSC) in Timmonsville, S.C.

Since the start of production in 1979, Honda has manufactured more than 5 million powersports products in North America using global and domestically sourced parts. Today, HSC manufactures FourTrax ATVs and Pioneer side-by-sides and engines, while the Honda plant in El Salto, Jalisco, Mexico, produces motorcycles.

Furthermore, the research and development of Honda ATVs and side-by-side vehicles for both local and global markets is now being led by a team of engineers at Honda R&D Americas - with Powersports R&D operations in Los Angeles, Ohio and South Carolina.

The successful startup of motorcycle production at Honda of America Mfg. in 1979 was soon followed by the auto production at the Marysville Auto Plant in 1982. Motorcycle production continued in Ohio until 2009 and planted the seeds of manufacturing expertise that has led to many Honda facilities across North America. Today, Honda operates 17 major manufacturing facilities in North America, producing a wide range of Honda and Acura automobiles, automobile engines and transmissions, Honda all-terrain vehicles and side-by-sides, power equipment products and the HondaJet light jet.

Hopefully, we can get Euro bikes like the Crossrunner in the States:

'14 Wee2, Adventure Style, for the "Real World"
'15 Versys 650 LT, (on order) for the "Now World"

mcmann screwed with this post 11-25-2014 at 10:35 AM
mcmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:08 AM   #2
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,325
They have obviously Lost Their Way or else they could have sold 500 million by now and stock luggage racks for all 500 million of them.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:47 AM   #3
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 10,104
Only had one myself. My Dad had a couple, one new one.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:01 AM   #4
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,868
I'm so disappointed. ..
Old 11-25-2014, 11:06 AM   #5
RCmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
I'm so disappointed. ..
me too
RCmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:26 AM   #6
El Pescador
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
I'm so disappointed. ..
Haha. You and millions of others.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:41 AM   #7
wadenelson
Rider/Writer

Oddometer: 458
So at what point did you realize Honda...Datsun...Toyota....were building QUALITY products and it wasn't just "recycled beer cans."

The 240Z convinced me, along with the indestructible Datsun 510. And then when my DAD bought an Accord....having shot at and been shot at by Japanese during WWII....I knew it was all over for American Iron...

I'm sure people recognized Japanese motorcycle quality long before their cars came to dominate the US market...
Old 11-25-2014, 11:42 AM   #8
popscycle
Fahren Away

Oddometer: 1,277
For me, making a bike with the features and functions you like, want and are willing to pay for is more important than how many units you've cranked out. Asia would appear to be keeping them in the game of big numbers. That they used to own the American market is telling.

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface!

2014 R1200GS | 2010 MX5 | BMW MOA
popscycle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:42 PM   #9
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadenelson View Post
So at what point did you realize Honda...Datsun...Toyota....were building QUALITY products and it wasn't just "recycled beer cans."
Great question. When I was a kid I remember thinking the Japanese stuff (at least cars) was junk.

For me it was once I started driving.
First car was a VW Rabbit. Generally a piece of crap.
Second car was a Jeep. Piece of crap.
Third car was a VW GTI, piece of crap.
Fourth car was a Honda CRX. Great car. Did have the fuel gauge go bad once though. Drove the piss out of that thing.

I've gone back to German cars twice (BMW and Mini) and the BMW was crap and the Mini I didn't have long enough to have any issues.

Between 2 Hondas (3 including my wife's), 2 Mazdas and, 2 Toyotas the extent of issues I have had is the aforementioned fuel gauge and one power antenna fail.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 01:20 PM   #10
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,377
When did I realize? A 1966 Honda S90.....wide open throttle pretty much all the time with clutchless shifts hauling my neo-teen ass around. It never broke or even "complained". That's when.
chazbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:07 AM   #11
kingrex
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
For someone my age (57) it was when a salesman demonstrating how you could balance a nickel on a running in-line 4 engine, rev it all you want, and the nickel remained standing on the cylinder head. I have never observed that since. Those early Honda in-line 4 engines (350, 500, and 750) were the crown jewels for me in motorcycle engines. Amazing engineering for the day.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:44 AM   #12
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,377
I had a Triumph T100 Tiger and if you revved it you might have a hard time with your eyes being able to focus on the cylinder head...and they were smoother than the T120's. In many instances Honda managed to meld engineering prowess with practicality, IE the CB750's. The 350 four with a diminutive four seemed to me (Later on I believe there was a Japan market 250 four) to be a case of showing off, likewise, on the other end of the scale, the CBX. But they still managed to be fairly functional bikes, just outside of the more useful parameters to 500cc - 750cc.

Besides me being able to thrash my S90 with impunity it was sometimes, well maybe just a couple times, tasked with carrying another rider out of the area or towing their Triumph, Zundapp, Sachs, Bultaco, et al. Those were more capable dirt bikes for sure, but they were not as reliable - another Sochiro lesson learned.
chazbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:08 AM   #13
k1w1t1m
Kiwi

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by popscycle View Post
For me, making a bike with the features and functions you like, want and are willing to pay for is more important than how many units you've cranked out. Asia would appear to be keeping them in the game of big numbers. That they used to own the American market is telling.
The fact that here in the USA we buy bikes as toys. Most of the rest of the world buys bikes as daily transport is probably more telling.

Most surprising (not) is that a GoldWing is the 300mth bike. Out of all the bikes they have made and make currently the one that gets the nod is a GoldWing which probably is one of the lowest production numbers in their line up.

'01 BMW R1150GS
k1w1t1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:32 AM   #14
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1w1t1m View Post
The fact that here in the USA we buy bikes as toys..
I love it when people make sweeping generalizations like that. Speak for yourself. For a lot of people on this site, their motorcycle is their primary or only means of transportation.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:45 AM   #15
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,410
The people on this site are a fraction of the population in the US who ride motorcycles. So we can change it to most people buy motorcycles as toys.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is online now   Reply With Quote