Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2009, 08:46 AM   #1501
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,959
They do like to rev. I have the 16 tooth on mine and don't use sixth gear till I'm doing at least 70.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:54 AM   #1502
Maineroads
Ridgerunner

Oddometer: 831
Drop a gear, the bike loves it! I rarely get out of third around town. I've got to try the 42t and 44t sprockets I bought this winter.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:10 AM   #1503
Taipan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
I'm not labouring the engine. If I was in any gear, mid way through the rev range at part throttle, open throttle fully and you go through some vibes before clearing them and taking off. You feel it right through the chassis when you do this?
Taipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:16 AM   #1504
Maineroads
Ridgerunner

Oddometer: 831
Yeah, it's vibey non the less.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:28 AM   #1505
JBird
Retriever

Oddometer: 833
Did 700 miles last weekend - took Friday off - I was playing through the rev range and noticed the same thing. There seems to be a range I get some vibes at while I power through it. I was going to check the torque on my engine mounts.

After 700 miles through North Georgia, Tennessee, and North Carolina I love this bike more than ever. The only bike I may be interested in is if Aprilia does come with a 1200 V-Twin in the Dorasoduro.
'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
JBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:33 PM   #1506
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipan
How vibey is your bike? My bike is very smooth at cruising revs at say 80mph (16t front sprocket) but can be quite vibey under load. If I open the throttle wide it goes through a band of vibration which clears and then smooths out again. But if you blat it through the gears on full throttle you dont seem to notice it at all?

I've noticed the bike seems smoother at lower revs under load since fitting the race cans. So I'm wondering if its just normal or if I need the carbs balancing or some such thing?

Does your bike have any vibration?
It's not a super smooth engine; however mine is much smoother at low revs since I've had it jetted and the carbs balanced. I used to have to keep the revs up or it would shudder pretty badly. Since the carb work it's transformed. It pulls quite smoothly from near idle up to the rev limiter cut in. In fact on twisty roads that I used to use two gears on I can now use the higher cog exclusively. I find that I'm able to carry a bit more corner speed in the higher gear but still get decent drive out of the corner. Also I can use 6th from a much lower speed say 68-70mph as compared to 78-80mph prior. Note: I am running the 16t front sprocket. While you may not get a vibe free engine from carb work alone you may find the low engine speed shudder to be eliminated with some careful tuning. Good luck to ya!
nattyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:14 PM   #1507
iammemares
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Vibration??

After riding twins for years, mostly of the boxer variety, the 950 motor is dead smooth for a big V twin. I would suggest all motors have resonant frequencies that will become more or less excited based on RPM. I am new to the 950, but my sense is when the engine is lugged or at fairly low RPM and throttle is increased it tends to shudder a bit. This can be smoothed out by dropping a gear. But absolutely there will be portions of the RPM range that have more peak vibrations. All engines are like this, just some more noticeable than others. For me, I totally dig the feel and vibration of this motor. I am always very aware that there is a very strong and slightly pissed off engine below me. If it were smoother it would be a souless japanese inline. Had those!! No Character. On the other hand crazy shaking like a Harley or Buell. No Way. That is poor Engineering.

So I'll take the Vibes. Not intrusive and I know I am riding a strong bike.
iammemares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:43 PM   #1508
JBird
Retriever

Oddometer: 833
Anybody ever fit a new guage package off a SuperDuke or a 990SM to their 950? Wonder if the wiring will plug right up?

Not sure I have to have a tach but the newer gauges look nice.
'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
JBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:53 PM   #1509
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
Changing front sporcket to 16T

chuck:

Did you feel like you lost much top end when you changed the gearing? I'm thinking about installing the 16T because you really have to be doing over 80 before 6th gear unless you want to be lugging the engine. Hypothetically speaking if one drives at speeds near or over 100 MPH would one be disappointed after the change?

thanks
Old 04-29-2009, 02:39 PM   #1510
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,959
No, not at all. The bike is ridiculously over-geared from the factory.

Come chain and sprocket time, I'm going up three on the rear also. Should be a hoot then!

Somewhere, buried in the bowels of this novel of a thread, somebody did fit an SD dash, or tried to anyway. Search is your friend...hopefully!
Old 04-29-2009, 04:06 PM   #1511
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,532
JBird -
If you find the link to the dash install, please post it.

After nearly 45 years of riding with a tach I find that I miss it.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:08 PM   #1512
aeronaut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammemares
... Any other good source for Orange spools?...
I'm happy with orange spools from these guys.
http://www.supermotoengineering.com/home.php

Specifically:
http://www.supermotoengineering.com/...ail.php?id=250

(Note the picture is wrong, it shows two axle spool sets and a set of swing arm spools. It's really 1 front axle spool set and 1 swing arm set.)
aeronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:52 PM   #1513
clay
CLAY JUSTICE

Oddometer: 49
Wink 2006 950 sm off idle throttle is terrible!!

I bought a 950 today in tampa,fla.It has 866 miles and was in his garage for the last 18months with very little cranking.He had to replace the battery to try to sell it.IT IS BEAUTIFUL!!!I drove 625 miles from gulfport ms to give him 8000 for it.He also gave me the 48 month extended warranty,but I haven't read it completely to see if it really is transferrable'sp'
Anyway,he told me it did not run like this when he parked it.He thinks the starter motor and rear master recall were done before it left the dealer in ca.How can i find out?
No really,I am about to come to the point.The 950 starts perfectly-then purrs at idle.The next 1000 or so rpms is like ridding a bike that has contact points that kick in after rpm builds,then perfect again.I figured the float bowl/needle jet would let it idle,then die when throttle is turned.
I stopped at a nice shop in pensacola,fl on the way home and bought an oil filter and spark plugs,forgot the 5.1 brake fluid as I talked.I will change this stuff tommorrow but I feel like i will not cure the real problem without some seriuos insight from some of you.
I've researched this bike for 1year.iT IS STAYING.
where can i get a good repair manual and where can i order parts online with good service?
HELP------------------------,PLEASE,
CLAY
clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:15 PM   #1514
apexdc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6
JBird -
If you find the link to the dash install, please post it.

After nearly 45 years of riding with a tach I find that I miss it.
I recently bought a RevLight on British eBay and have it mounted on my bike.

I still have to hook up the wiring, but saw this of one in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeObbzYEajo

I will post after I get it running.
apexdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:17 AM   #1515
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBird
Anybody ever fit a new guage package off a SuperDuke or a 990SM to their 950? Wonder if the wiring will plug right up?

Not sure I have to have a tach but the newer gauges look nice.
There is a whole thread about it in the LC8 forum of KTMtalk. I'll see if I can find it later today.

Edit: Found it: Linky

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein

Stobie screwed with this post 04-30-2009 at 05:35 AM
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote