User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 07:12 PM   #8011
iammemares
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Still enjoying my SMR,

Just not so much lately. Unfortunately life has taken over a bit and my rides are few and far between. Got a son getting ready to head off to college. Been visiting lots of colleges.

Good to see this community and the mainstays ares till in place. This has been such a super place to discuss the SM(R).

My SMR is still working so well. I so enjoy riding it when I get the chance.
iammemares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #8012
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
The ones I've seen change hands in the past year have been in the $6300-$7300 range depending on condition.

KHVol care to say what you were able to get for yours?

If I ever sell mine I'd have to put it back to stock. I have $7k in mods on mine... sure has been fun.

NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammemares View Post
great to see the awesome community here keeps going in support of the SM.

I too am in a position that I am considering selling my prized SMR. 07, lots of goodies and perfect. Never down. About 10K miles and like new.

I dont want to violate the forum rules but am interested in some feedback about the SMR market and value. Are they selling and at about what price? Is it acceptable to list the content of my bike and ask for feedback on value? Does this forum or EBAY tend to be more successful with the niche SMR?

I am sad to have to consider selling the my SMR. It has easily been the best of the many many bikes I have owned. Some day maybe another I will have.

Thanks all. Mark
nattyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:10 AM   #8013
rw4x4van
East Coast Rider

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckMoto View Post
Now you can't tease us with that and not give us details! That's just evil! What are your rim and tire sizes and are those stock diameter front disks? Does the rear sprocket use the stock damper drive or is it solidly bolted? Any problems if it is solidly bolted? What hubs and who built 'em?

Iammemares - what have you been up to?
It's not mine, a couple of years ago I found this photo while doing some research, unfortunately I don't have any specs

snowhawk jockey....where are photos of the "KTM 950SM dirt drifter "

'98 KTM 620 RXC
'07 KTM 300 XCW

rw4x4van screwed with this post 11-19-2012 at 04:16 AM
rw4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:28 AM   #8014
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by nattyMo View Post
The ones I've seen change hands in the past year have been in the $6300-$7300 range depending on condition.

KHVol care to say what you were able to get for yours?

If I ever sell mine I'd have to put it back to stock. I have $7k in mods on mine... sure has been fun.

NM
It was in that range, much less than I would like to have asked for it had I not sold it to a friend and much, much less than I felt it was worth ( nothing new there).

If you sell to a friend, it is no longer a transaction "at arm's length." The last thing you want is for a friend to buy something from you and later wish he hadn't. If you sell to a stranger, you want to do the right thing but if a stranger changes his mind later it is " Them's the hazards".

What was the good deal for the buyer and also the bad deal for me is the extra's that you put on it over the years. You know when you buy them that you will never get your money back out of it when you sell it. You become very aware of how much that is when you go to sell it. Then you become doubly aware if you think you may want to buy that same bike later and will have to spend that same money for accessories all over again. For example, Akro's..big expense, does so much for the bike that I can't imagine having a 950/990 SM without it, there goes $2,000 right off the bat, then you add a seat, heated grips, skid plate, windscreen, hyper ligts, rear bags, brackets, tail bag, tank bag, control pieces, kickkstand foot, carbon this, carbon that, ad nauseum. Over the course of years, it really mounts up.

Yiou are going to have a big problem with this, Nattymo, if you ever decide to sell your 950.. I have never seen a more personalized bike than your 950 SM.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:39 AM   #8015
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,385
Quote:
Now you can't tease us with that and not give us details! That's just evil! ...
That belonged to inmate Brents347- who sold it several years ago. Might be a detailed write-up on it earlier in this thread, and I think it's been recently revisited in an Orange Crush thread.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #8016
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
That belonged to inmate Brents347- who sold it several years ago. Might be a detailed write-up on it earlier in this thread, and I think it's been recently revisited in an Orange Crush thread.
Thanks for that Walter. I searched all of brents347 posts in this thread and no luck. Searched all of his posts but they only go back for his last 500. Went into OC and found lots of other cool stuff but will need to do more searching. I gotta get off of here and back to the 'real' world....

I'll pm him and see if he remembers where he might have posted the details.

BuckMoto screwed with this post 11-19-2012 at 11:41 AM
BuckMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:30 PM   #8017
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,130
Quote:
Thanks for that Walter. I searched all of brents347 posts in this thread and no luck. Searched all of his posts but they only go back for his last 500. Went into OC and found lots of other cool stuff but will need to do more searching. I gotta get off of here and back to the 'real' world....

I'll pm him and see if he remembers where he might have posted the details.

Brents347 was one of the earliest spoke swaps that I know of.
He and I both used 950ADV hubs, custom rotor spacers for the front, custom hub spacers and Buchanan SS spokes.

Brake rotors have a myriad of solutions, but none of the stock rotors work on the ADV hubs.

His front got 310mm rotors (maybe from 625smc) and a 19" Excel rim. Mine got a 19" front rim, plus a 320mm rotor from 450SMR and caliper spacers from the SD990, to fit the larger diameter rotor. The rear hub bolts right on, no custom work required. I first built my rear with a 5" rim to run 150/70, 160/60 or 170/60 sized tires. I found that I really only run 150/70 so I changed to a 4.25" wide rim and superlaced it (cross three and 90* spoke angle).

If there is real interest, PM me and I can cover ALL the particulars!

Pics that Bofaxrunner took during last spring's ride and repair:
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....62&postcount=1

snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #8018
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post

MCMANN has expereince doing the reverse, ordering Woody's wheels and putting smaller wheels on Adventure's and SE's..
Old 11-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #8019
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Spoked Wheels

Quote:
Brents347 was one of the earliest spoke swaps that I know of.
He and I both used 950ADV hubs, custom rotor spacers for the front, custom hub spacers and Buchanan SS spokes.

Brake rotors have a myriad of solutions, but none of the stock rotors work on the ADV hubs.

His front got 310mm rotors (maybe from 625smc) and a 19" Excel rim. Mine got a 19" front rim, plus a 320mm rotor from 450SMR and caliper spacers from the SD990, to fit the larger diameter rotor. The rear hub bolts right on, no custom work required. I first built my rear with a 5" rim to run 150/70, 160/60 or 170/60 sized tires. I found that I really only run 150/70 so I changed to a 4.25" wide rim and superlaced it (cross three and 90* spoke angle).

If there is real interest, PM me and I can cover ALL the particulars!

Pics that Bofaxrunner took during last spring's ride and repair:
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....62&postcount=1

Thanks for the info. Are those the stock front forks? - I thought you had 525 forks for some reason. I take it that there are no rubbing issues with a 19" front when stock forks bottom out? Does a 19" front feel odd on pavement?

I am interested in your wheel project but I currently have my bike budget tied up for suspension work with Slavens. I'm on his waiting list and hope to hear from him this month. I spoke with Slavens and told him I wanted to be able to land 18" of air without bottoming out and breaking stuff but still be supple enough for pavement. He said that should be do-able.

As far as the 2nd set of wheels go, I'm hoping for a setup that would allow me to pull the axles, roll the other set in and slide the axles back in without messing with brakes. I had thought about a 2nd set of stock wheels but it's doubtful they could hold up. What I would like is an orange set that looks like the wheels on Ernie Vigil's Icon Triumph.

Don't know if you all have seen Icon's 1/2 hour video - it's really well done. Alonzo Bodden's talk to the new guy cracks me up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTvYA...ture=endscreen

On a totally unrelated and non-bike subject, I came accross this video series which is pretty intriguing. Here's the 1st in the series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZedLgAF9aEg

BuckMoto screwed with this post 11-19-2012 at 03:49 PM
BuckMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:18 PM   #8020
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
MCMANN has expereince doing the reverse, ordering Woody's wheels and putting smaller wheels on Adventure's and SE's..
I put a Woody's Canyon 19" X 17" wheel set on my SE and did not feel a need to ever take them off. A 19" front worked great for the Forest Service roads I rode . . . . Plus, I could touch the ground!

Woody's is first class quality.
SE/SM Comparison

I prefer the SM tubeless tires over spoked/tubed tires . . . . for Forest Service roads. Tubed tires are a bitch to fix flats on a trail etc. i guess you could seal the spokes for tubeless.
'14 V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure "The Train"

mcmann screwed with this post 12-24-2012 at 06:56 PM
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #8021
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,130
Funny you should mention the ICON boys!
They needed to hire me(instead of who ever actually guided them) guide them on their "adventure" ride...
I could even mount up my paddle tire and roll the snow!

eta:
The above statement was written incorrectly and has been edited to reflect actual claim...(sorry to buck and others confused or harmed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckMoto
Mcmann,
That comparison is great since you can see the extra length in the SE kickstand leg.

snowhawk jockey screwed with this post 11-26-2012 at 01:40 PM
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:06 PM   #8022
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,707
I had to shorten the SE side stand 1.5" . . . Mainly from backing off the rear spring rate and lowering the front 1" in the triple clamps and 19" X 17" wheels.

I prefer the wider SM gear ratio on the road over the SE. Throw on some bags, skid guard & hand guards and it can be an Adventure bike.

'14 V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure "The Train"

mcmann screwed with this post 11-26-2012 at 04:12 AM
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:22 PM   #8023
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Quote:
Funny you should mention the ICON boys!
They needed to have me guide them on their "adventure" ride...
I could even mount up my paddle tire and roll the snow!
Wow! - did you get to go to S. America too, or did they have you guide the Portland part only? There's got to be some interesting stories in that! I'm sending you a pm about the wheels.

P.S. Hope all you US Supermoto riders had a great Thanksgiving. Hope the rest of you had a great Thursday!
Old 11-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #8024
Thumper996
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
P.S. Hope all you US Supermoto riders had a great Thanksgiving. Hope the rest of you had a great Thursday!
Thanks Buck and hope yours was good as well. I spent Friday getting SM winterized as I am having knee surgery Tuesday and although I can ride off and on over the winter her in the south I figured it best to just turn the petcocks off and run the carbs dry. Pulled the battery and got her on bench charger for now until knee heals up early next year.
Thumper996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:21 PM   #8025
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Oddometer: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmann View Post
I had to shorten the side stand 1.5" . . . Mainly from backing off the rear spring rate and lowering the front 1" in the triple clamps.

I prefer the wider SM gear ratio on the road over the SE. Throw on some bags, skid guard & hand guards and it can be an Adventure bike.

Whoa....you mean you acheived an appreciable amount of lowering without buying a thing for your SM? Just by dialing out all of the rear preload and sliding your forks an inch? What is your new seat height?

Has anyone tried the KTM hardparts package for lowering an SMT? It's less than $300 and contains fork springs and ccartridges, and a rear spring.
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote