Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 12:18 AM   #8371
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdirtbikerider View Post
Has anyone installed a inline fuel filter on there bike?
These bikes do Not have a fuel filter. This is not good.
Do it. Very easy, just make sure you put the filter BEFORE the pump.
mousitsas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #8372
wcohl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Damn the Torpedoes, Full Speed Ahead

The weather finally got above freezing and the sun was shining. With a little help from Gerbing, I had a brief, but enjoyable, ride this afternoon.

I think the xbike jetting is going to work out nicely. The bike now pulls nicely all the way to "redline". Before it seemd to flatten out on top. The revs kept climobing, but it wasn't pulling as hard.

With a new rear tire and a lot of anti-skid still on the road, I couldn't do all the testing I wanted. I did manage to put a big grin on my face.

Anyone know how far off the speedometer is when you drop 1 tooth on the countershaft? I didn't have a chance to check it with my GPS, but I'm guessing an indicated 55 is closer to 45, based on what traffic was doing.
wcohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:27 PM   #8373
Garry
Old and In The Way

Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcohl View Post
Anyone know how far off the speedometer is when you drop 1 tooth on the countershaft? I didn't have a chance to check it with my GPS, but I'm guessing an indicated 55 is closer to 45, based on what traffic was doing.
No effect at all. The speedometer is driven by the front wheel. There is a sensor that mounts on the left fork leg by the brake caliper.
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #8374
wcohl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
No effect at all. The speedometer is driven by the front wheel. There is a sensor that mounts on the left fork leg by the brake caliper.
Doh! (in my Homer Simpson voice). I even had to accomodate the sensor wire when I removed the front wheel.

I guess I got confused when I saw some company advertising a SpeedoHealer for the SM.
wcohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #8375
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcohl View Post
Doh! (in my Homer Simpson voice). I even had to accomodate the sensor wire when I removed the front wheel.

I guess I got confused when I saw some company advertising a SpeedoHealer for the SM.
Lol, that's funny. You can heal your own spedo by changing the front tire circumference in the settings.

I don't remember how to get at them on the 950 though.
900rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #8376
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Setting speedo wheel size

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900rider View Post
Lol, that's funny. You can heal your own spedo by changing the front tire circumference in the settings.

I don't remember how to get at them on the 950 though.
Here's a screen shot from the owners manual:

Your display should show 17ws during the test. If it shows something else, 19, 21 etc then Go to the 0.0F Mode (fuel odo countdown mode). Hold both Mode and Set for 10 seconds until the wheel size starts flashing. Set to 17 for an accurate speedo

Cheers!
NM
nattyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #8377
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
Speedo Heal

Great idea. But, as far as I know, the speedos are fast by 6-8%. So you would need a smaller wheel size to fool the speedo into thinking that a revolution of the front wheel was less than with the 17" setting. No setting smaller than 17' available???
renogeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:29 AM   #8378
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

I'm mulling over selling my SMR.

It would seem to me that I would be best off removing most if not all of my mods (the list is long) then sell the bike in a close to stock configuration. Once the bike sells I would sell the aftermarket parts on ebay or Adv. I have all of the stock parts to do this, the only exceptions being the chain, sprockets, clutch slave and VR. Items I upgraded when the stock parts wore out or failed.

I'd guess the bike in stock form would bring $6800-$7500. I doubt I would get enough over that to cover the nearly $7000 I have in parts to justify selling as is. The only down side would be spending the time to put things back to stock, that shouldn't take more than a couple of days of my time. I would expect to net 50% of the retail on the used parts, maybe better on a few items.

07' smr, 1 owner, near perfect condition, all maintenance up to date (valve adj, fluids, brake pads, tires etc), 18k miles.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
NM

Pics:
http://nattymo.smugmug.com/Motorcycl...3120434_vXJPcf

nattyMo screwed with this post 03-26-2013 at 05:57 PM
Old 03-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #8379
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by nattyMo View Post
I'm mulling over selling my SMR....Thoughts?
Jesse recently bought his, so he probably has the best insight into the 950 SM/R market.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #8380
angustoyou
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
For the life of me, I can't find a fitment guide which tells me what my 2007 950 SMR takes.

Does anyone know which EBC Sintered double-H pads fit the front and rear of the SMR? Best I can tell, the following... maybe?
Front: FA322/4HH ?
Rear: FA181HH ?
Thanks!
I hope that you're right, those are the front pads I just ordered!
angustoyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #8381
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
Jesse recently bought his, so he probably has the best insight into the 950 SM/R market.
Pm sent!

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:52 PM   #8382
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by nattyMo View Post
I'm mulling over selling my SMR.
What's next for you natty?
Old 03-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #8383
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Not sure what the future may bring.

I have some lingering issues with my right wrist. It only bothers me on the moto. I am taking some classes, switching jobs and have some new family obligations. My free time is much more constrained then when I bought the bike. The past two years I've done less than 4k miles total. I'd rather not have the SMR sitting idle just because I don't have time to use it. I also haven't been feeling the moto joy of late. I spent the winter getting it ready for ridding season, so it's in tip top shape. I store it in a garage nearly 20miles from my home, every time I check on it (at least twice a month) there goes 1.5-2 hours that I need to spend on something else.

All these reasons plus a nagging little voice in my head have me thinking it may be time to let her go. I have a few things shaking this week, depending on how they turn out I will decide what to do.

Not sure what I would replace it with if/when the time comes. It's perfect for the type of ridding I do and the rider that I am.
Sure has been a joy to own, for sure I'll feel a little sick to see it go.

NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckMoto View Post
What's next for you natty?

nattyMo screwed with this post 03-26-2013 at 11:49 AM
Old 03-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #8384
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969
Natty, I've hit blocks like that. When riding wasn't feeling like it used too. Scared the hell out of me. I'd think, if I lose that feeling and passion for riding then what, I'm screwed. Then in a random turn on a random ride you grin, then smile and twist the throttle a little harder then think "There it's is!"

And all is right with the world again.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:37 PM   #8385
spike747
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
installing 16 tooth

So tomorrow I'm putting on a 16 tooth. I see the chain guard will need removing which will include removing the clutch master cylinder. Is the master cylinder a sealed unit? Or will it spill all over the place when I take the 2 screws out?
spike747 is offline   Reply With Quote