Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #8611
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,068
Just a heads-up. I needed a tail light lens for my SE. Unfortunately you can't just buy the lens- you have to buy the sub-assembly. KTM new is $80! The sub-assembly is the same PN as the SM. The Adventure sub-assembly has a different P/N (and is $40 more expensive!) but looks identical on the fiche.

Rather than pay what I think is an outrageous price for a stupid implementation- I checked ebay and found a sub-assembly for an '04 Adventure for $20. I bought it, and the part is identical and works fine.

So if you ever need a replacement- you have options.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #8612
geoffh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Here's an example of what I was talking about before. This is the same thing that happened with the blow-by and the oil spewing out of the crank case breather tube.

First no choke
Then a little choke
Then more choke and it starts

Rev twice, ok. Rev third time, cuts out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iljejKMfkR8

geoffh screwed with this post 05-13-2013 at 06:08 PM
geoffh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #8613
Zwoehr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffh View Post
What's wrong?!?

First no choke
Then a little choke
Then more choke and it starts

Sounds like the shop that did your service screwed you. If it ran well when you took it in and runs terrible now I'd take it back and ask them to fix it.

The hose that is disconnected is the crankcase breather. On a wet sump engine it will eject oil if you overfill it. I'm not sure on a dry sump though.

The clutch chatter is probably due to the type of oil they used. If the clutch still works fine it's probably ok just an annoyance.

Usually tight intake valves make a bike hard to start. Too loose exhaust valves will overheat, but valves tighten up over time, they don't loosen.

You might check your intake boots for leaks.

If you have compression and spark which it looks like you do it must be a fueling issue. Clogged pilot jets. Leaking intake manifold. Maladjusted carburetors. Improperly routed cables or hoses. (All things that would have been messed with during a service) Since they adjusted the valves it could be a problem with the valve clearances or the cam timing as well.
Zwoehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #8614
geoffh
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwoehr View Post
Sounds like the shop that did your service screwed you. If it ran well when you took it in and runs terrible now I'd take it back and ask them to fix it.

The hose that is disconnected is the crankcase breather. On a wet sump engine it will eject oil if you overfill it. I'm not sure on a dry sump though.

The clutch chatter is probably due to the type of oil they used. If the clutch still works fine it's probably ok just an annoyance.

Usually tight intake valves make a bike hard to start. Too loose exhaust valves will overheat, but valves tighten up over time, they don't loosen.

You might check your intake boots for leaks.

If you have compression and spark which it looks like you do it must be a fueling issue. Clogged pilot jets. Leaking intake manifold. Maladjusted carburetors. Improperly routed cables or hoses. (All things that would have been messed with during a service) Since they adjusted the valves it could be a problem with the valve clearances or the cam timing as well.

Thanks for the help. I am hoping they come pick it up soon. The shop should be calling me tomorrow to setup a time for them to come pick it up. I think asking for them to take apart and re-check everything they may have touched is a good start, anything else I should mention to them?
Old 05-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #8615
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffh View Post

You forgot something. Right before the third time you revved the motor you closed the choke. What happens when you:
  1. Open choke halfway
  2. Start motor (don't touch throttle)
  3. Wait 15 seconds. Close choke.
  4. Let it idle until 4 bars
  5. Rev motor a few times and check.

Nonetheless, something changed about your bike since the service. That, in and of itself, is the important part -- regardless of whether some new technique gets the bike running.

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #8616
geoffh
Adventurer

[QUOTE=wiseblood;21414854]
  1. Open choke halfway
  2. Start motor (don't touch throttle)
  3. Wait 15 seconds. Close choke.
  4. Let it idle until 4 bars
  5. Rev motor a few times and check.
/QUOTE]

When that happens, it spits oil out of the breather tube and shuts off. It's going back to the shop on Monday - I hope they do a better job this time.

Last time they only messed up the clutch, carb temp sensor, front spark plug and whatever is causing this blow by and possible low compression. Anyone have a contact for a KTM factory rep if this sort of quality continues?
Old 05-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #8617
JohnE65c
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Last time they only messed up the clutch, carb temp sensor, front spark plug
You mentioned the front spark plug in more than one of your posts. What exactly did they mess up ?
I shudder to think they may have cross threaded it during installation, maybe causing some aluminum head shavings to enter the combustion chamber.
Or worse yet, installed a too-long spark plug and holed the piston. I hope it's neither.
JohnE65c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #8618
geoffh
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE65c View Post
You mentioned the front spark plug in more than one of your posts. What exactly did they mess up ?
I shudder to think they may have cross threaded it during installation, maybe causing some aluminum head shavings to enter the combustion chamber.
Or worse yet, installed a too-long spark plug and holed the piston. I hope it's neither.
From what I was told, they just didn't seat it completely during reinstallation. This was causing the bike to cut out. Apparently, the front plug is difficult to get in.
My fingers are crossed that there's nothing else major. You'd expect better from an actual KTM dealership.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #8619
JohnE65c
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
From what I was told, they just didn't seat it completely during reinstallation. This was causing the bike to cut out. Apparently, the front plug is difficult to get in.
Changing plugs on the SM950 is no picnic, but I'd expect a qualified ktm mechanic to do it without any drama.
If possible I'd watch the work being done on the next fix. I wouldn't leave my bike alone with a mechanic to deal with other issues, when he has difficulty changing a spark plug.
JohnE65c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #8620
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE65c View Post
Changing plugs on the SM950 is no picnic, but I'd expect a qualified ktm mechanic to do it without any drama.
If possible I'd watch the work being done on the next fix. I wouldn't leave my bike alone with a mechanic to deal with other issues, when he has difficulty changing a spark plug.
Can you describe to me the problems changing plugs? I have to replace mine soon.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #8621
iammemares
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Safari SE tank on a SMR

Hey guys. Been a while. I am looking to move my SMR in a more tour direction and wonder in the 7.9 gallon SMR tank will fit and work on the SMR since the seat on the SMR is from the SE?

Also recently discovered the front brakes were sticking and not allowing the wheel to spin. Tried to get the calipers off to clean up the pistons. Could not get the right caliper off. The bottom caliper bolt is frozen. Broke 2 T45 bits and still not loose. Any thoughts?
iammemares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #8622
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammemares View Post
Hey guys. Been a while. I am looking to move my SMR in a more tour direction and wonder in the 7.9 gallon SMR tank will fit and work on the SMR since the seat on the SMR is from the SE?
Yes, the SE safari tank will fit on the SMR. I have one on order, though I've been waiting two months at least. Apparently, Austrailia is like... Far.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #8623
iammemares
Gnarly Adventurer

Cool.

What color did u get and who did you order from? Is the black similar to the OE black tank on the SMR? Can the SMR side panels be used if modified?
Old 05-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #8624
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammemares View Post
What color did u get and who did you order from? Is the black similar to the OE black tank on the SMR? Can the SMR side panels be used if modified?
Here you go:

http://justgastanks.com/product_info...roducts_id=903

Comes with replacement panels (in orange, which I intend to paint Hooligan black ). I ordered the black tank.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #8625
iammemares
Gnarly Adventurer

sticky front brakes

so a little research shows some issue with KTM and Brembos and the front brakes sticking. anyone here have that issue? was it sticky pistons or gummed up MC return hole. Also, anyone have issue getting the Caliper bolts off. One of mine is frozen. Two T45 bits broken. Words of advice on getting the bolt off and brakes un stuck?