User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2006, 06:07 PM   #1
kellyk7 OP
Who knows

Oddometer: 1,746
Broken Adjuster bolt on Swing Arm, how to remove

Anybody got any ideas on how to remove a broken adjuster bolt on a swingarm of my XR650R

It seems that the bolt reacted with the aluminum and seized, I was trying to remove it to clean and put anti sieze on it, looks like last guy did not do it

I think 25mm or so is inside arm

anybody got experiance with this one..
kellyk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:17 PM   #2
kellyk7 OP
Who knows

here is a pic of the bolt
Old 07-21-2006, 11:26 PM   #3
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,304
i just got a grade 8 footpeg bolt out that sheared off 650R, ( project, I didnt break the peg) I soaked the shit out of it w/ a penatrating oil then used a titanium drill bit, then easy out. gave it a couple of love taps to knock it loose. came out easier then I thought it would.

remove the axel, and do the same. best of luck.

have you removed the linkage and greased the swing arm, linkage, steering head etc....?
its criminal that the candy ass bastards at honda put this bike out w/ such little grease.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:45 PM   #4
Subcanis
Unskilled Aerofixer

Oddometer: 1,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayChile
i just got a grade 8 footpeg bolt out that sheared off 650R, ( project, I didnt break the peg) I soaked the shit out of it w/ a penatrating oil then used a titanium drill bit, then easy out. gave it a couple of love taps to knock it loose. came out easier then I thought it would.

remove the axel, and do the same. best of luck.

have you removed the linkage and greased the swing arm, linkage, steering head etc....?
its criminal that the candy ass bastards at honda put this bike out w/ such little grease.
Try some PB Blaster and vice grips first. PB is the BOMB.

(remove axle to make it easier)
Old 07-22-2006, 07:05 AM   #5
kellyk7 OP
Who knows

the bummer of it is I had the swing arm out to do the bearings last week, and never thought at that time to pull these bolts, if I had it would be simple to build a jig for the drill press and just drill it out. but now I will probly mess something up because I don't want to pull it that far down again. I did have the axle out when the bolt broke, but put it back in to check chain lenght and position to see if I need to drop a link or add one, I have read the XRs like to run the axle as far forward as they can.

as for PB blaster I am a long time convert, that stuff is better then Beer, and makes a pretty good aftershave
Old 07-22-2006, 08:46 AM   #6
Rootkiller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
I have done this also, what a pain.
I bought a long drill bit and drilled/tapped it out, a 15 min. job after getting the right sized bit and tap.
Rootkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 10:32 AM   #7
kellyk7 OP
Who knows

looking at it this morning and considering the stack of tools I have I think what you sugest is the best way.

Knock the end off with a die grindeg so it is flat and my drill bit will not walk. then use center punch to knock the center and then a 1/8" drill being very carefull to stay center and straight and follow that with the correct bit for the tap for the metric threwads then chase it with a tap and new bolt

if I mess up I figure just step up to next size bolt and new threads
Old 07-22-2006, 01:26 PM   #8
2dumbnotto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
I swear by left hand drill bits give it a shot
2dumbnotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 01:54 PM   #9
Will LC8
I stubbed my toe

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyk7
looking at it this morning and considering the stack of tools I have I think what you sugest is the best way.

Knock the end off with a die grindeg so it is flat and my drill bit will not walk. then use center punch to knock the center and then a 1/8" drill being very carefull to stay center and straight and follow that with the correct bit for the tap for the metric threwads then chase it with a tap and new bolt

if I mess up I figure just step up to next size bolt and new threads

Might I suggest if you do mess up us a helicoil so you don't have to mess with 2 different wrenches when adjusting your chain. I had the same thing on my ktm. Its comon for steel bolts to get siezed when left stationary in aluminun.
Will LC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 02:42 PM   #10
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,560
I did this on two of my ktm's. It sucks but use a torch to heat the swingarm around the bolt in addition to penetrating oil and vise-grips or whatever. Take your time working it in and out with the heat and oil and when it does come out chase it and use antiseize compound on both sides.

good luck
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 02:55 PM   #11
MK_GS

Oddometer: 651
Hit with pentrating oil

Centerpunch the bolt that's left.

Drill for the biggest EZ out you can w/ a nice sharp bit at low speed w/ oil.

Gently heat the aluminum swingarm with a hot air gun or a torch at distance or the wife/ GF's hairdryer. Hopefully it will expand a little more than the steel bolt.

Put the cold EZ out in the bolt and reef on it until it snaps in the hole then refer to my thread here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153648

Or you could be careful with the EZ out, but how much fun would that be?

You might also have enough bolt sticking out to use one of those tools that grips threaded studs to install them- it's got a little cam inside that will grip a smooth bolt shaft.

Could also try one of those "universal" wrenches that works on the same principle. Doesn't look like a pipe wrench will fit in there.

Good luck, I feel your pain. Hell, I'm still bleeding.
MK_GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 03:49 PM   #12
snaggleXR650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
PB Blaster for sure, then go buy one of those cheap propane torches at Lowe's etc. in the plumbing department. Heat up the swingarm AND the bolt. The heat will make everything swell and it will break free. Vice grips/pliers to screw it out. Save the drilling for last chance.

I tried removing my kickstand a while back on my 650R. One of the bolts was frozen solid. With the propane torch and 30 seconds that bolt almost fell out.

Good luck.
snaggleXR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 06:02 PM   #13
jehu
∩HƏſ

Oddometer: 3,681
This happened to my XR also. I was able to tig weld a nut on the end and the bolt would turn in but not out. I tried working it back and forth to no avail, eventually sawed the welded nut off, made a cut across the bolt for a screwdriver and screwed it in until it fell off INSIDE the swingarm. It's rattling around in there now. I got another bolt, applied anti sieze compound and re installed.
jehu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:58 PM   #14
kellyk7 OP
Who knows

thanks for the great Ideas, I will try the heat tomroow, I have two heat guns three propane tourches and a Oxy-Acetilene tourch, In short I have enough hot air I could probly just melt the bike

anyway enough funny, I will give the heat guns a shot sounds like good advice
Old 07-24-2006, 09:53 PM   #15
kellyk7 OP
Who knows

I heated it and nothing, I was not comfortable putting too much heat on it, so I talked to the guy that runs the machine shop at the collage and will pull it and have him helicoil both sides this week, honestly it will be less work to pull the swing arm now.