ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2015, 05:16 PM   #1
bodean123 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Rottweiler intake with stock exhaust?

Hey Gents,

will be installing a Rottweiler intake on my 08 990, doing the SAS removal and canisterectomy. I've still got the stock exhaust and was wondering if I should be removing the cats.

Also picked up a Tune ECU cable and although I haven't had a chance to dive into the mother ship of a thread for Tunes, I was looking for a little advise there, should I just run the Akro Tune and ride the thing?

Thanks for the advise!
bodean123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:52 PM   #2
tacosupreme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
You should gut the cats, or better yet get aftermarket cans. The akro map will work fine, and I believe you can also download a map for free on the rottweiller site. In my experience, anytime you open the intake or exhaust up on an LC8 it will run more rich, all things being equal. That makes it safe to mess with intake and exhaust mods.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:05 PM   #3
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 4,072
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosupreme View Post
You should gut the cats, or better yet get aftermarket cans. The akro map will work fine, and I believe you can also download a map for free on the rottweiller site. In my experience, anytime you open the intake or exhaust up on an LC8 it will run more rich, all things being equal. That makes it safe to mess with intake and exhaust mods.

If the bike has stock jetting/fuel mapping since this is a 990 which is lean and you open up intake and exhaust it gets leaner not richer....

What am I missing here
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 04:45 AM   #4
chezzberg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I just pick 08 990 adv, and installing a Rottweiler intake and SAS stage 3 kit. I love it, next is the 2 in to 1 pipe, and a new pipe.
chezzberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:56 AM   #5
Blackalac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
When I gutted the cats on my Oem pipes, I used a hole saw with an extension on the arbor. Easy!

I now have 2 into 1 with an Akrapovic on the right and a Neduro tank on the left.
Blackalac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:27 PM   #6
bodean123 OP
Adventurer

Removing the cats shouldn't be an issue, I'm a journeyman welder and have everything I need in my garage. I could even modify the stock H pipe to a 2-1, just the cost of a single can is pricey with the current exchange and shipping to Canada. I've been reading about gutting the stock can but I'm not sure the work is worth the effort and I don't really have anywhere local to source the perforated pipe.

Anyone out there recently gone to a 2-1 with an extra can they would be willing to part with (and ship to Canada)

Thanks!
Old 06-27-2015, 10:56 PM   #7
tacosupreme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM8 View Post

If the bike has stock jetting/fuel mapping since this is a 990 which is lean and you open up intake and exhaust it gets leaner not richer....

What am I missing here
I have an LC-1 wideband gauge with data logging. If you have the stock tune and remove the factory cans for something that breaths better, AFR goes rich, not lean. If you pull the snorkel off the stock box the same thing happens. At least on my 990. I don't know why, that's just what the gauge says. For instance bone stock under load at 5K RPM the reading was around 13:1. Same scenario and tune with FMF cans it read 12:1 and you can smell raw fuel. Same hill, same straight stretch, similar temp, etc. Why? I dunno man I just ride it. Sure seems like it has more power at 12:1 though!
Old 06-27-2015, 11:14 PM   #8
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosupreme View Post
I have an LC-1 wideband gauge with data logging. If you have the stock tune and remove the factory cans for something that breaths better, AFR goes rich, not lean. If you pull the snorkel off the stock box the same thing happens. At least on my 990. I don't know why, that's just what the gauge says. For instance bone stock under load at 5K RPM the reading was around 13:1. Same scenario and tune with FMF cans it read 12:1 and you can smell raw fuel. Same hill, same straight stretch, similar temp, etc. Why? I dunno man I just ride it. Sure seems like it has more power at 12:1 though!
I second that having a wideband myself on my bike. The reason is that the stock cans flow better for most of the range. Contrary to the common belief open cans do not generaly speaking work nearly as good as the stockers except very high up the rev range. But they rev up faster in the low gears which is usually confused as having more torque.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:21 AM   #9
bodean123 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
I second that having a wideband myself on my bike. The reason is that the stock cans flow better for most of the range. Contrary to the common belief open cans do not generaly speaking work nearly as good as the stockers except very high up the rev range. But they rev up faster in the low gears which is usually confused as having more torque.
Know I'm just confused? So your saying the stockers flow better then an open can? So I'm fine to just go with the intake and stock cans? What about going 2-1 with a decat'd stock can?
Old 06-28-2015, 06:14 AM   #10
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean123 View Post
Know I'm just confused? So your saying the stockers flow better then an open can? So I'm fine to just go with the intake and stock cans? What about going 2-1 with a decat'd stock can?
I have no experience with 2-1 setups so cannot answer that one. Your main issue will be to find/make a proper map for whatever setup you choose and unless you are very lucky, only chance to create such a good map is with a wideband on the road. If you definitely have to have a 2-1 system, then start with a stock map and a single stock decated exhaust and subtract some fuel from the top end via tuneEcu. That is if your 2-1 is a modded stock 'H'.
Zuber might be able to help there if you can find him.

Other than that, yes the stockers (2-2) will flow better for the most part, but light loads throttle will not be as crisp. With open cans you shorten the tuned exhaust downtube length, therefore you move torque higher up the rev range. My 950 literally rips on stock intake and exhausts (with cats) with only thing done is to jet it properly for my climate.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:35 AM   #11
bodean123 OP
Adventurer

Made some progress yesterday. I was traveling home from a 14 day work shift and took a nice detour...

Was an awesome ride, but at the next stop for gas I was surprised to find this...

So long photo story short, I got home to my Rottweiler order and set to stripping the bike down and getting the intake, SAS removal/Canisterectory done, and pulled the forks to have the seals replaced.

Install was smooth and painless, picking the forks back up today and hoping to start playing around with the TuneECU.

I'm reading some inconsistent information in regards to the open intake though, I've read people end up with a lean condition and have to add fuel (6% across the board) to eliminate popping on decel, but others are telling me to subtract some fuel from the top end?

Any more insight on this?
Old Today, 05:27 AM   #12
Cowtowner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Removing the cats shouldn't be an issue, I'm a journeyman welder and have everything I need in my garage. I could even modify the stock H pipe to a 2-1, just the cost of a single can is pricey with the current exchange and shipping to Canada. I've been reading about gutting the stock can but I'm not sure the work is worth the effort and I don't really have anywhere local to source the perforated pipe.

Anyone out there recently gone to a 2-1 with an extra can they would be willing to part with (and ship to Canada)

Thanks!
I just replaced my 2-into-1 pipe and Remus ti can, with a Rottweiler full 2-into-1 system. PM me if you are interested in the 2-into-pipe and Remus can, I was just about to list it. I am in Calgary.
Tigcraft Supermono (Formula, 450)
'90 FZR400
Cowtowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:08 AM   #13
bodean123 OP
Adventurer

Yes please! PM sent.
Old Today, 09:43 AM   #14
JoeMongo
¿Por dónde?

Oddometer: 566
Thumb

Quote:
Yes please! PM sent.
There you go! You've chosen wisely, my friend. That's exactly what that Rott intake needs. Once it is installed and you've saved another few $100 Cdn, start shopping for an "auxiliary fluid container" for that left side exhaust hanger.
I really like my CJ Design fluid storage tank.
J.

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
JoeMongo is offline   Reply With Quote