Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2014, 08:22 AM   #5341
frickenmotarded
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Tom_C That's what I call a NICE setup! I would have to check the map to be sure. If I got to something I didn't want to attempt to climb I'd hit it from the back side . There was one section that was closed though not sure if permanent or what.

I'm tossing around options for soft luggage and I keep seeing the same Wolfman setup. I'm assuming they are Expedition Dry Saddle Bags. What is the preferred setup for bag and rack? I have a CJD LC8 rear rack that I'm planning on a 3 gal rotopax and locking mount for. Also considering a Fandango Pro tank bag. I have

Whats the general consensus on the best setup?
Old 06-13-2014, 08:41 AM   #5342
Monterey_BS
On or Off - not sure

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by frickenmotarded View Post
I'm tossing around options for soft luggage and I keep seeing the same Wolfman setup. I'm assuming they are Expedition Dry Saddle Bags. What is the preferred setup for bag and rack? I have a CJD LC8 rear rack that I'm planning on a 3 gal rotopax and locking mount for. Also considering a Fandango Pro tank bag. I have

Whats the general consensus on the best setup?
We've now got a cross-thread conversation going on. Take a look my recent post on the Quick Questions thread (http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=2184) to see my Wolfman Racks and BlackDog top plate. I don't know that the racks are available anymore, especially since Wolfman and Berg have split.
BTW, you don't really need the locking mount. I've used a set of small Rox Straps for years and have never had the load move. I often carry two 1gal cells stacked. More to the point, when you're not carrying the Rotopak the plate is still available for use.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:44 AM   #5343
frickenmotarded
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterey_BS View Post
We've now got a cross-thread conversation going on. Take a look my recent post on the Quick Questions thread (http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=2184) to see my Wolfman Racks and BlackDog top plate. I don't know that the racks are available anymore, especially since Wolfman and Berg have split.
BTW, you don't really need the locking mount. I've used a set of small Rox Straps for years and have never had the load move. I often carry two 1gal cells stacked. More to the point, when you're not carrying the Rotopak the plate is still available for use.
Oddly enough I was just reading you posts in the other thread haha. Thats good to know save a little coin and doesn't leave the post in the center, Thanks.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:03 AM   #5344
Chinookmark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Who was at the air museum today?

Chinookmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:16 AM   #5345
Tom_C
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
No kickstand needed....

Old 06-16-2014, 09:20 AM   #5346
Tom_C
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
After turning around, I hit the brakes right where the rock transitioned to dirt, and went down. On the rock. Rear brake left a nice gouge in the sidecover and bent all wonky. First trailside repair I've had to do... :(

Old 06-21-2014, 09:27 PM   #5347
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,330
Got out for a high country ride today... Man I love this bike.

Well, except for the headlight. C'mon C.V.!

Old 06-22-2014, 10:34 AM   #5348
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
How are these 950SE's on an extended highway ride? Something along the lines of 14 hours from point A to point B.

I currently have a R1100GS and 530EXC. I don't fancy riding the GS beyond rough gravel road and I don't like the idea of the 530 for 14 hours on the highway. I have rode many hours on gravel and trails with the 530, it's just the highway is not its thing. My other option as I see it is BMW F800GS.

Want to keep the 1100GS for riding with the GF.
Bungholio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:51 AM   #5349
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungholio View Post
How are these 950SE's on an extended highway ride? Something along the lines of 14 hours from point A to point B.

I currently have a R1100GS and 530EXC. I don't fancy riding the GS beyond rough gravel road and I don't like the idea of the 530 for 14 hours on the highway. I have rode many hours on gravel and trails with the 530, it's just the highway is not its thing. My other option as I see it is BMW F800GS.

Want to keep the 1100GS for riding with the GF.
You would need a screen.

If you want to do longer distance rides, I would suggest the Adventure rather. Its better for that and does 2 up much better too.

Think of the SE as a BIGGER 530.
Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:45 PM   #5350
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,817
Testing last weekend.
Making changes to the design.
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:36 PM   #5351
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevh0 View Post
You would need a screen.

If you want to do longer distance rides, I would suggest the Adventure rather. Its better for that and does 2 up much better too.

Not intending to ride 2 up except with the gs. Is the se as quick handling as the 530? The engine would make it better for highway stuff for sure. Is the 800gs aimed more at old men cruising gravel roads? Not fond of fairings on trails, already decided against the adventure.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:47 PM   #5352
grant22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
I could not resist... 950 Super Enduro's Photo Thread

530: good for solo, single track, dirt/road up to around 300 miles in a day but you'll be beat up a bit

950 SE: good for mainly solo or some two up in a pinch, dirt/road up to around 400-500 miles in a day with a lot less fatigue than the 530

950/990 A: good for either solo or two up, dirt/road up to around 700-800 miles in a day with less fatigue than the 950 SE. A touring seat would be a must at those distances.

I have all three bikes for the above reasons. Obviously, your results may vary. The 530 is quite fatiguing during long distance due to no wind protection. Also the bike humms at the higher speeds. The 950 SE is surprisingly low fatigue if an SM screen is installed. It CAN do two up, but a passenger would be way happier on an Adventure. The Adventure covers all the longer distance two up needs.

All just my opinion, tho.

grant22 screwed with this post 06-22-2014 at 01:49 PM Reason: spelling
grant22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:12 PM   #5353
JRod152
will work for tires

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungholio View Post
My current setup is far better then my 950ADV ever was...

I add a little windscreen extender w/ a dual sport helmet to quiet & smooth things down even more for the long trips. I have had several 10 - 14 hr stretches. The bike is not the issue at the end of those days. Manual cruise, music in the ears, windscreen, decent seat, balanced tires, 200 ish mile range... all I need.

I also had the SM windscreen before, which definitely took some blast off the chest. The modded & quick release setup I have now is far superior in every way.

My wife rarely rides now due to the age of our kids, but she likes it when she does. If lots of 2-up riding is in order, it's not the ideal bike. But, if the majority of your riding is solo hard adventuring... not just hard core off road or just highway, it's THE bike to have, IMHO.

Trail riding, one night camping trips, & long adventure trips are a joy on this thing.

Nights like this are why I ride to get lost...

If I could stow my ego away from these new 150 + HP beast on the market today, It's truly all I need. Want... now that's another story.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:44 PM   #5354
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRod152 View Post
My current setup is far better then my 950ADV ever was...

I add a little windscreen extender w/ a dual sport helmet to quiet & smooth things down even more for the long trips. I have had several 10 - 14 hr stretches. The bike is not the issue at the end of those days. Manual cruise, music in the ears, windscreen, decent seat, balanced tires, 200 ish mile range... all I need.

I also had the SM windscreen before, which definitely took some blast off the chest. The modded & quick release setup I have now is far superior in every way.

My wife rarely rides now due to the age of our kids, but she likes it when she does. If lots of 2-up riding is in order, it's not the ideal bike. But, if the majority of your riding is solo hard adventuring... not just hard core off road or just highway, it's THE bike to have, IMHO.

Trail riding, one night camping trips, & long adventure trips are a joy on this thing.

Nights like this are why I ride to get lost...

If I could stow my ego away from these new 150 + HP beast on the market today, It's truly all I need. Want... now that's another story.
Exactly what I wanted to know. I saw one at a dealer a few years ago and was seriously considering getting one then but didn't. Had to be 2010. It would fill in between the 530 and the 1100 nicely. May even get rid of the 530 and get a 200-300 2t or 350EXC for a smaller trail bike.

Looks like a dry clutch in the first pic.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:30 PM   #5355
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant22 View Post
530: good for solo, single track, dirt/road up to around 300 miles in a day but you'll be beat up a bit

950 SE: good for mainly solo or some two up in a pinch, dirt/road up to around 400-500 miles in a day with a lot less fatigue than the 530

950/990 A: good for either solo or two up, dirt/road up to around 700-800 miles in a day with less fatigue than the 950 SE. A touring seat would be a must at those distances.

I have all three bikes for the above reasons.
I all three as well. Sort of. A 450 six-days instead of the 530... Agree with the comments above. I love all three bikes, but if I could only keep one, it would be the SE, hands down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevh0 View Post
But harder to pick up! It really does feel much like a KTM dirt bike as long as you have momentum. If you come to a near stop, it can get very heavy very quickly... Try to dab off-camber/loose-rock/short-legs and it's all over!

As for wind protection and longer trips, the Adventure is definitely a bit better... But with the right helmet, I almost find that the naked SE is less tiring than the hard-to-eliminate buffeting on the adventure. Without wind protection, dual-sport or off road helmets with a visor can get annoying at high speeds and longer distances.