ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2014, 11:41 AM   #5371
dogsslober
No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer: 869
2 into 1

I'm with Bdog on this. Ran one for a while, bike felt stuffed up with it. These motor like to breath. Open pipes and air filter real wake them up !!
dogsslober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:27 PM   #5372
oldfuddy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
Concur if you run the Db killer and arrestor. Db and spark arrester really hold the bike back with 2into1. with Rotweiller and Remus with no db and no arrester bike runs hard bottom to top and I like option to run fuel or tool box on left side.
oldfuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:36 PM   #5373
Dan950ser
NW Shredder

Oddometer: 411
Yeah mine was feeling plugged up for sure with the fmf q and I switched to a single wings. With the db out it really made a difference. I like the 2-2 but need the capacity for fuel.

2014 KTM 250 XC-W
Dan950ser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:55 PM   #5374
frickenmotarded
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
oldfuddy, Great minds think alike. DB killer hahah not a chance...

I was a little concerned about flow myself. I certainly don't plan on running the DB killers, but I was going to do some flow calculations and examine some options. Big twins are exceptionally hard on single can's. I may have a custom 2-1 built with a larger pipe diameter post merge. Plenty of higher performance 1000+ CC bikes breathing through a single can (think gsxr 1000) as long as the setup is right. That's one reason the mod is still on the planning list. Remus also has the Roxx 2-1 kits that may be worth examining as a muffler to use. I really just want to rid myself of the weight and open a slot to run additional storage and or fuel when needed. I will have a conversation with Remus about the ID of their Ti cans before I pull the trigger on anything
Old 07-22-2014, 03:51 PM   #5375
Monterey_BS
On or Off - not sure

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsslober View Post
I'm with Bdog on this. Ran one for a while, bike felt stuffed up with it. These motor like to breath. Open pipes and air filter real wake them up !!
+ whatever. Awake and ready to rumble.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:04 PM   #5376
Monterey_BS
On or Off - not sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by frickenmotarded View Post
Thanks she is pretty fresh! I just picked it up a couple months back only 9300 miles on it.

work so far:

CJD hardened water pump kit
Dr Bean fuel pump mod
CJD side stand relocator
CJD LC8 rack (PO)

In the Mail:

Powercell tank with all the trimmings

Upcoming after I finish planning and my wallet gets out of ICU:

CJD 2-1 Remus Ti
17"s super duke CJD adapter

NEVER ENDING MODS!!!!
Lots of CJ stuff in the works. The only thing missing is the larger clutch fluid reservoir. Highly recommended (by me, at least).

Seriously consider moving to a vacuum pump when you move to Ken's tank. At the very least move it off the tank. Mine's white, so I also eliminated the fuel level sensor. I had Ken leave it blanked. The current set-up now takes well under a minute to remove: remove seat, disconnect QR taps, and one bolt. About the same time to replace.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:45 PM   #5377
frickenmotarded
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterey_BS View Post
Lots of CJ stuff in the works. The only thing missing is the larger clutch fluid reservoir. Highly recommended (by me, at least).

Seriously consider moving to a vacuum pump when you move to Ken's tank. At the very least move it off the tank. Mine's white, so I also eliminated the fuel level sensor. I had Ken leave it blanked. The current set-up now takes well under a minute to remove: remove seat, disconnect QR taps, and one bolt. About the same time to replace.
I've got a call into Remus to see if any of the LC8 Y pipes will work on the SE. I've talked to a buddy of mine who is a motorsport engineer and works in powerplant design. He confirmed my suspicion that the typical 2-1 pipes likely won't offer enough flow for what I want. So I may have a fab buddy of mine cut up a Remus Roxx adv kit and run that, since the Remus y goes to 2" at the merge.

Larger clutch res, I'll add it to the list

Why move to vac over Dr Beans? I'm for sure moving the pump to the frame near the factory location. My tank will be Orange, I hadn't seen pics of orange installed couldn't resist. I got Ken to leave mine blanked as well, and I'll be running the QR taps.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:52 PM   #5378
frickenmotarded
Gnarly Adventurer

And a picture to keep the thread on track.... My SE with my most treasured possession. I've been riding this 250R for 25 years since I was 5!
Old 07-22-2014, 07:08 PM   #5379
Monterey_BS
On or Off - not sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by frickenmotarded View Post
I've got a call into Remus to see if any of the LC8 Y pipes will work on the SE. I've talked to a buddy of mine who is a motorsport engineer and works in powerplant design. He confirmed my suspicion that the typical 2-1 pipes likely won't offer enough flow for what I want. So I may have a fab buddy of mine cut up a Remus Roxx adv kit and run that, since the Remus y goes to 2" at the merge.

Larger clutch res, I'll add it to the list

Why move to vac over Dr Beans? I'm for sure moving the pump to the frame near the factory location. My tank will be Orange, I hadn't seen pics of orange installed couldn't resist. I got Ken to leave mine blanked as well, and I'll be running the QR taps.
Seems like the 2 into 1 pipe I used on mine was done by FMF. I got it from BlackDog. As others have indicated, it didn't last. I run two Akros with a Motohooligan intake. It goes like a scalded cat and makes wonder noise at both ends of the combustion process.

I rebuilt my stock pump twice. It's not just the points. It's the whole damn thing. BTW, If you haven't got the Dr. Beans, I'd suggest going to the Facet first. I'm not averse to electric pump. I just prefer the simplicity of the vac over the mystery of the electric.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:17 AM   #5380
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,735
I spent some time today pursuing a new hobby. Fire lookout chasing! I'll gonna go though NorCal one county at a time and get photos of all the fire lookouts that I can.

Today I started with Martis Peak lookout. It was an easy one, nice and close to home.

This is looking North from the Martis Peak lookout, looking at Sardine, Babbitt and Verdi peaks (left to right) which were my next destinations.

The next stop was Verdi peak.

This is from Verdi peak lookout, looking South back at Martis peak.

Then it was on to Babbitt peak. This was a very nice lookout.

Looking South from Babbitt peak lookout at Martis peak and Northstar ski resort

And the last stop, at Sardine peak.

And this is what I did 5 minutes later. Lost the front at 2mph it loose, deep gravel. No big deal, except I was riding alone and my leg was stuck under the bike! It took me a little over 5 full minutes to get my leg out.

Rode Henness Pass rd into Reno for dinner and a beer at bike night. 140 miles total and about 100 miles of fast dirt. It was a good afternoon!

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:55 AM   #5381
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyR View Post
Yes I'd be interested as I could get it with two sets of wheels (one 17" set for SM riding and one 18/21" set for off road).

but personally as an SE owner, I'd rather see them go the other way. the biggest issue I have with the SE is the weight. On a set of scales last summer with half a tank of gas (Safari tank), mine was right at 450lbs with a small rear bag w/ some basic tools in it for a long day off road riding. That's OK, but ideally I'd love to have something similar to the SE but with sub 400lbs wet. But I ride mine in a lot of places that I would guess most don't. In my head the perfect garage for me is a 450 XC that's plated, my 950SE-R and a 1290SD-R. I'm over half way there now! so Im interested in a 1290SE but if it's closer to the 500lbs of the SD-R maybe not so much. :)
Bingo.

I love my SE, but I had to go out and buy a modified 525 to ride where / when I wanted to ride. The SE was just too heavy. On the trail with the 525, I'm 100kg lighter (220 lbs). That's with a fueled up bike and luggage.

The difference is felt most on the tar... and that's not really what either bike is built for. The SE cruises comfortably 25 mph or more faster than the 525... and it can take a pillion. The 525 is so much easier to deal with in the slops and with flat tyres and, cough cough.... after spills.

Ride through Oz and Asia
The Bigfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:58 PM   #5382
Monterey_BS
On or Off - not sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
And this is what I did 5 minutes later. Lost the front at 2mph it loose, deep gravel. No big deal, except I was riding alone and my leg was stuck under the bike! It took me a little over 5 full minutes to get my leg out.
I always try to be riding my 690 when planning to get my leg stuck under a bike. I find the extrication time gets cut in half, relative to the 950, although much of that improvement may be due to my skill in falling over in the most unlikely of circumstances. Why, just last weekend I had two excellent opportunities in the woods around Flagstaff. I recommend this method to all my friends and suggest you try it next time. BTW, for maximum effect the wheels should be lying to the uphill side. I also find that having water somewhere in close proximity enhances the experience.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:54 AM   #5383
dogsslober
No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer: 869
Fire lookouts

[QUOTE=brents347;24685283]I spent some time today pursuing a new hobby. Fire lookout chasing! I'll gonna go though NorCal one county at a time and get photos of all the fire lookouts that I can.

Here is one to find for you Brent. It is close to you.
dogsslober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:45 AM   #5384
xfungo
novizio

Oddometer: 4
Hello superenduranian!!
Attached Images

xfungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:58 AM   #5385
CollinsB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 988