ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2014, 04:38 AM   #5506
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelangelo View Post
... I think the silver rims make this bike look good. Much better than the heavy looking black oem rims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelangelo View Post
Normally I think the SE looks like a bloated pig, but the ..... silver rims do it well. I'm swapping to silver rims on my 690 to lighten up the look a bit myself....
I've been telling you guys this, for years

Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:07 PM   #5507
JRod152
will work for tires

Oddometer: 269
New sidestand!

...nothing that hasn't been done before...

I had a relocation bracket for a while for the oem sidestand, but it still made me nervous.

Engine case damage is less than convenient, as I have recently learned.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:45 PM   #5508
Monterey_BS
On or Off - not sure

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRod152 View Post
...nothing that hasn't been done before...

I had a relocation bracket for a while for the oem sidestand, but it still made me nervous.

Engine case damage is less than convenient, as I have recently learned.
Ooooh, I like that set-up. First time I've seen that, although I have seen a typical EXC before. Tell me more. I may not be as done as I thought.

For Sale: Brand new '12 KTM 690ER Safari Tank http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...4#post25402584
Monterey_BS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:10 PM   #5509
JRod152
will work for tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterey_BS View Post
Tell me more. I may not be as done as I thought.
Silly... you are never done!

HERE is maxvert's version

I've always felt the real danger of the sidestand is the fact that the 2 foot lever is attached to the engine and such. A relocation & isolatiing bracket is most people's fix, but imagine the force on the end of that lever when a 400 + lb bike tips over. I'd rather that force not be directed to the engine case, etc. People will spend $350 on a 10 lb skid plate thinking it gives bash protection to the sidestand mount area, only to fail to realize that damage often happens when the stand is up & gets tweaked from the end.

This aftermarket sidestand is arguably not as strong as OEM, but it's dang solid. I don't mount the bike with the sidestand and believe noone should. As long as I can keep yahoos from doing so, I should be good. It even works well with the TrailStand for tire changes... center stand not necessary. Use common sense and take 2 minutes to strip a loaded bag off before lifting.

I should have taken pics with it folded up. It tucks perfectly behind the passenger pegs. I drilled, tapped, & installed a threaded stud to be able to adjust how close it comes to the exhaust can... works perfect.

I normally run w/o passenger pegs & bars, but I have a trip coming up. With the GL Great Basin, the pegs are the easiest place to mount. The bars offer some subframe support and luggage support.

This will require TIG ing a bracket on or drilling your frame... not sure how you feel about that?

JRod152 screwed with this post 08-16-2014 at 09:17 AM
JRod152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:14 AM   #5510
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,449
Here's a photo of my Promoto Billet sidestand all folded up

I'd like whoever designed that grubscrew that goes through a load bearing area to tell me just what they were thinking.

Note.... this stand was designed for the 525, not the 950. If it'd done this on my 525, I'd have asked them for my money back.

I think, all up I ended up doing about 6,500 km without a sidestand thanks to that useless design.

Ride through Oz and Asia
The Bigfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:52 PM   #5511
JRod152
will work for tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
Here's a photo of my Promoto Billet sidestand all folded up
That looks like a fun surprise to come back to after a lunch break off the bike! Did that happen while dismounting or while unattended?

Well, maybe it'll be a work in progress, eh?!

Of course I know it was created for the small bikes. I almost tried the TrailTech stand... not sure if that one would be any better. Others on here have had luck with the TrailTech, I know.

I thought the same thing about that existing hole. They put it there and install a tiny worthless rubber stopper to decrease the noise and bounce when stowing it. I just used the existing hole, threaded it, and put a stud in there to control the dismount depth. It looks like that area & the bend will be the weak point for sure. I have thoughts of reinforcing it, and even thoughts of fabbing a new chromoly stand that fits into the spring assembly in place of the aluminum one.

We'll see. Thanks for the real-world experience!

What did you end up going with?

JRod152 screwed with this post 08-17-2014 at 07:11 PM
JRod152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:37 PM   #5512
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

I've still got some remnants of the Promoto one on the bike. It went through numerous repair efforts in Cairns, Darwin and Chiang Mai as my trip continued. Sometimes I had a stand, sometimes I didn't. That failure above was during a dismount, out the front of a bank somewhere in Thailand. The bank manager came running out, in his full business suit, and helped me pick the bike up.

Here's the final photo of the Promoto one, just before I threw it in the bin. After one of the failures, we doubled its thickness... with some aluminium checkerplate. I've got a photo from the other side somewhere, but can't see it now. We'd already replaced the plastic back cover with a stainless steel one. The problem with welding aluminium, is it stuffs the temper of the metal... makes it softer. After this failure, we simply cut a new mounting bracket out of 10mm steel. Problem solved, albeit at the cost of some weight.

I haven't got a good shot of it here... but you can see it. I also had a larger plate welded onto the bottom of the leg. It was too small for sandy / muddy areas.

As for the Trailtech one.... I'm pretty sure that's what was on the 525 EXC. I know it was their stator unit that failed on me in Cambodia... and I went through half a dozen batteries before I made it to Phnom Penh and got it rewound by a local.

I was getting the bike washed (support the locals and all that).... and when I saw them spin it around on the sidestand like they do to scooters, I went "uh oh"...

Sure enough

That went through numerous iterations of repair too

Here's a mate Harry, holding the bike while we fitted a lengthened scooter sidestand.

We got that wrong and it wasn't long enough... so I had it modified properly in Thailand... for $5

Ride through Oz and Asia
Old 08-18-2014, 09:17 PM   #5513
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Just spotted the photos of the beefed-up Promoto Billet bracket... one of many repairs. The guys in Darwin who did this were a mining engineering business... and the boss there is an inmate.

It was a bit agricultural, but I was about to put the bike on a boat to Timor-Leste and needed something in a hurry, having just ridden across Australia with no damn sidestand after the first failure. I was helped out in Cairns by a US pro basketballer. He was walking past as I was loading my bike and it slowly collapsed. "Hey mate... do us a favour and hold my bike up for a minute while I load it please"... he was quite amused by it all

Moreso than me for the next week, as I looked for ways of dismounting

Distance and road signs were good

Hell, even old steam engines

But mostly trees

Termite mounds

Rocks

Trains

I even carried some sticks for a while, up on Cape York

Do you reckon I cursed that bloody sidestand mob?

Ride through Oz and Asia
Old 08-18-2014, 10:18 PM   #5514
JRod152
will work for tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
Do you reckon I cursed that bloody sidestand mob?
Great pics! Thanks for sharing.

FWIW, I would gladly swallow ALL of those sidestand issues & other problems to have the experience & adventure that you took in on that trip. I'm jealous! It looks awesome & I'm sure it was a blessing to experience the hospitality, generosity, & resourcefulness of culturally different but inherently similar people in remote places of the world.

I hope to experience a taste of that some day.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:36 AM   #5515
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 842
i learn new stuff every day on here. I've been looking at the pro moto billet for my 450 and when i saw the mounting for the SE thought "Great!". Nice to have solid feedback on the unit on the beast... :) and it looks like you had an awesome trip!
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:09 PM   #5516
oldfuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Someone just picked up an Erzberg with 500 original miles on it on the US East Coast off eBay.... If its an inmate here be sure to post up some pics!
oldfuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:14 PM   #5517
frickenmotarded
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Link? what did it end up going for?
Old 08-19-2014, 08:53 PM   #5518
oldfuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by frickenmotarded View Post
Link? what did it end up going for?
Can't post the link as the auction ended. It was buy it now...$12,900 with dual FMF 4.1 cans, trick rear LED brake light and fender, canisterectomy done and 567 road only miles, still had original tires on it and was for the most part stock. Had a little pitting on spokes and a few bolt heads from being near the ocean/humidity. But not bad and nothing performance impacting or that could not be replaced cheap. Someone must have hit the buy it now for 12.9k. Yup, this Erzberg went quick. its gone. Oh wait, the book value is only $6k! Yeah, right .
oldfuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:35 PM   #5519
vanjoosten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
GPR now making 950SE stabilizer kits

I just got my 950SE kit from GPR this weekend. So far I'm loving it!

vanjoosten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:36 AM   #5520
RedlegDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanjoosten View Post
I just got my 950SE kit from GPR this weekend. So far I'm loving it!

VERY nice!
"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have." Ronald Reagan

Current bike: something ORANGE!
RedlegDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote