Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2006, 10:54 PM   #1
motorradfahrer OP
leichtmetallpferdereiter

Oddometer: 418
Dear Motoport:

[whiny message deleted by OP]

Wayne, thanks for all your info on this thread. I was just venting as I tried to stumble through the site. It's good to see that you really know what you're talking about, and I hope you find a way to expand your business while maintaining the quality you insist on and still staying sane.

P.s., the website is still a pain, but I'll live.

motorradfahrer screwed with this post 09-07-2006 at 01:31 PM
motorradfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:59 PM   #2
jhank
not too gnarly adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Motoradfahrer: I believe you miss their point

I just returned home from a trip to Motoport H.Q. today (I live about two cage hours away). After lots of research, looking at and trying on a lot of different brands, Motoport was my last try at finding some gear that worked.

Because the stuff is at the expensive end of the scale and I was relatively close-by, I figured, why not just let them do the fitting since I have some free time. I called and made an appointment. I didn't request an audience with him but Wayne himself said he'd take some time to show me what they had.

I have read the reports of his personal service. A friend placed an order and confirmed that Wayne spent a good chunk of time on the phone with him to get his order correct.

So there I was today, standing in the small office space watching a handful of women and a lone guy sewing away. As I waited for Wayne I took a look through a rack of about fifteen jackets and a few pairs of pants. When he showed up he immediately offered to show me around. As we checked out the very specialized sewing machines they use he talked about stitch patterns, cloth strength, the reasons why only they could repair one of their pieces properly, etc., etc. Then he showed me the warehouse in back where they stored materials and did some repairs.

Wayne grabbed a piece of the stretch kevlar out of the trash and sliced a two-inch cut in it with a powered rotary knife. Handing it to me he threw down a challenge to finish tearing through this small piece of cloth with my bare hands. Now, I'm not the strongest guy around but I think a little piece of cloth, which is already torn, is gonna be two pieces in less than a second. There was absoulutely no way I could have torn that sucker WITH the help of five other people and some hand tools.

Suitably impressed, I followed Wayne as he showed off some more of the shop and talked at great length about all manner of issues dealing with his choices of materials, independent lab test results, and what turned out to be an hour-and-a-half of worth of graduate-level information related to riding jackets and pants. Then, just to get an idea of how stuff fit he had me try on a few jackets he thought might work. Lo and behold we found one which fit perfectly. I bought it and ordered pants on the spot without hesitation.

In my work I depend on a number of small, one-man band operations (and a few bigger band shops) to supply very specialized parts and pieces.
Sometimes I need the stuff yesterday. Sometimes I can't get what I need for quite awhile. Sometimes their websites suck and I pick up the phone for clarification. In any case, I stick with these small shops because I can talk directly to the craftsman who make the stuff. They hear the urgency in my voice when I need a part NOW, or they listen to my ideas for modifications and then discuss how they will deal with an order.

If you've ever dealt with a true craftsman who markets his own product you'll know what I'm talking about. They're busy making the thing you want which only they can make. That's why you want their product. They usually don't have the time to produce a slick mass-market appeal for customers. In my opinion, if it's a genuine best-of-it's-kind product, like a Motoport piece of gear, word-of-mouth is the advertising which makes the business viable.

Motorad, I believe you missed the point of the Motoport website claims. Again, it's just my opinion (I did just pay full price for a suit so you can rest assured that I'm not a salesman for them) but I think what they mean when they make the claim that they are "the best site on the internet" they mean they make the best motorcycle gear and this is where you can get it[/LIST]. Wayne told me today that he knows they need to do better with their website. From what I saw and heard from the man himself today was that they have all the business they can handle, and have been doing it for many more years before there ever was a commercial Internet.

Everybody who's seen it knows the website is weak. So what. Pick up your phone and give Wayne a call. Tell him you think his website sucks. Maybe you could offer to do better. He's such a nice dude I'd imagine he'll listen to you.

He makes good stuff and backs it up. Lots of people buy the stuff.
jhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 06:01 PM   #3
ZOL
Retired !!!

Oddometer: 63
I totally agree with Jhank !

My wife and I have 10 year old Ultra Cordura suits and I have a 4 year old Kevlar Ultra suit and the sport Kevlar Jacket. I also have a Thurlow Deerskin suit - that only gets wore about once a year since I bought the Motoport suits.

I have been totally satisfied with their apparel, and had a great experience dealing with Wayne when I did my purchases (only live a short distance away and used to visit their retail shop before they went to 100% on-line retailing.

I'm not sure what the complaint is with their website. I look at it from time to time (been considering their Kevlar Airmesh suit- but don't have the funds right now) and it seems as good as any of the sites for this type of small business. And if you call them their customer service is always great !

ZOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:26 AM   #4
namtinker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Another satisfied customer here. Cordura ultra pants & jacket with liners. Good quality - made to my measurements - fits great.
I have managed to lose two of my jacket press studs and Wayne mailed me some replacements yesterday - free of charge. A small thing, but much appreciated. The website might not be state of the art, but I can not really fault the customer service and product. So what if it takes a few more clicks of the mouse to find the info!
namtinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:12 AM   #5
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
I have a cordura ultra jacket from them as well as a full streach kevlar GPII suit. I really like the material, but the armor is by far the worst I've seen in motorcycle gear. My first $90 JR jacket has thicker, more form fitting armor. It just seems so wrong to have such a nice, expensive suite then to slap cheep, flat armor in it. And no, its not breaking in as I was told. I have over 20k miles in the GPII and the armor still doesn't bend well. I think I'm going to break down and buy a set of vanson CE armor to replace it with. My only other issue with them is the lack of attention to making it fit while I'm in a riding posisiton. The suite is great when I'm standing up straight, but bunches behind my knees and elbows when tucked in on my sport bike.

If I were designing the suite I'd make the following changes.

1. Quality form-fitting armor
2. Cut the suit so its pre-curved.
3. Vary the material thickness/layers. For example, I don't need the same amount of material on the back of my knee or inside of my elbow as on the front of my knee. Extra bulk in places it is of no use only increases material cost and decreases comfort.

Overall, I find it the best material available, but close to the worst implementation (in terms of cut, armor etc). I like my suit enough I'll continue to wear it, but I'm not sure I'd buy another if this one died. Hopefully by the time I need another one they will have majorly improved the suits or a big company will start using this material.

cheers,

Josh
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:02 AM   #6
motorradfahrer OP
leichtmetallpferdereiter

Oddometer: 418
Like I said, I was just whining about it. I will probably end up ordering their stuff anyway. I just hate going to their site and trying to get info on their products because it's so convoluted and confusing, and their pictures are terrible. Luckily for them people are willing to post good reviews of their stuff on sites like this.

It was just a reaction to their "we like to think we are the best site on the net..."

Then again, if they improved the site I'd probably have to wait more than 13 weeks for my gear, so I guess I should shut up...

I'm interested to hear about the armor, though. Most people seem to be very happy with it. I don't think I've read complaints such as yours (BikePilot) at all. Hmm...
motorradfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:19 AM   #7
The Dude Himself
Hooked on Dirt!!

Oddometer: 1,722
Rapid growth is the worst thing that can happen to a small company like this. The ppor website is probably not updated due to the expansion it'll promote.
The Dude Himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 06:47 PM   #8
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,306
I gave up on Motoport when I couldn't navigate their website, or see any decent pics of their products. They need to get the Aerostich webmaster to give theirs a face lift.
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 06:24 AM   #9
novasquid
will ride for food

Oddometer: 80
the first time i came across motoport's website was about 4 years ago and was interested in buying their gear but was totally turned off by their website and lack of concise information. fast forward 4 years and having read gringo's excellent write-up i decided to purchase their ultra 2 stretch kevlar jacket and pants. i wish i made this purchase 4 years ago.

but i agree with the armor, it's pretty lacking in my opinion. many people have written that overall the gear feels like wearing a tank, but i think the armor is just too thin to make any difference in a crash involving moderate to high impacts, especially around the knees and hips. but i'm happy overall with the purchase and would do it again in a heartbeat.

i think the gear is more suited for touring, and it will always be uncomfortable while on a sportbike because it's just not cut for that riding position.

bikepilot, you live in nothern VA? we should go for a ride sometime, and make sure you wear your gp-2 suit, i wanna check it out! :)
Old 08-06-2006, 10:11 AM   #10
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,306
I had a close look at the ultimate riding jacket.. Rukka's SRO. I guess you get what you pay for... and Rukka makes some fine jackets and pants, but cheap, they ain't..

Water proof zippers have been available for years.. why can't US riding suit makers use them?
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 01:14 PM   #11
Wayne at Motoport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Product is the priority, not the web site.

This is my first reply on advrider. Concerning our web site:
Our site was put together 10 years ago. We are aware that it sucks. Our web site is of course, an advertising tool. We stopped advertising 4 years ago. (Not enough product to handle the demand.) At this time improving the web site or advertising would get us in more trouble, supplying gear. As mentioned on our web site, we can email hi rez photos of products.

I've also seen comments on this thread concerning our Tri-armor. It is difficult to be breif on this subject. Here are some main points:
1. We tested both initial and resulting impact on armor made all over the world. The best we found is called T-Pro made in England. Our Tri-Armor absorbs both initial and resulting impact 13% better than T-Pro.
2. The Tri-Armor in our jacket/pant covers 64% of the body, this is far more coverage than any other apparel.
3. Our Tri-Armor is light weight, large sections perforated and takes only 30 to 40 minutes to mold to the riders individuals shape. (Will not move in a tumble.)
4. Tri-Armor is comfortable to wear.
4. Our company conducted the most expensive in depth study of motorcycle accidents/fatalities. Over 4 million $ has been invested in the studies/development of our apparel concerning the safety aspect only. There is no other motorcycle apparel made today, other than Cycleport/Motorport USA, that provides proper: Impact/Tear/Abrasion Strength. Most racing grade leather provides proper tear/abrasion for road racing, but improper seam strength for street riding. (I can go into detail on this subject if more riders are interested.)

One rider on this thread commented that we have bad armor. We had a run of armor that was not correct. This bad Tri-Armor was made in a 3/8 inch thickness. This improper thickness was not seen until some suits were sent out. We didn't know which suits were sent that had the improper armor. If you have Tri-Armor that is 3/8 inch thick, send it back and we will replace with the proper armor.

If you have any other questions concerning our gear, I'm here to help.

A Big Thank You to all the riders giving the positive comments on our gear, located all over this web site.

Best regards,
Wayne Boyer
President Cycleport/Motoport USA
Wayne at Motoport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:27 PM   #12
LarryGS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 622
Dear Motoport - support

I've found the Motorport gear to be fantastic, for my applications - commuting and 2-3 hundred mile days. I felt that the website's deficits are made up for by the customer service I received on the telephone by both Wayne and his asst. Time frames for orders to be processed are long, but mine was dead-on at 14 weeks. I'll check the armor when I get home tonight -thanks for the heads-up, Wayne.
LarryGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:36 PM   #13
Tankboy
Now older and fatter!

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Our site was put together 10 years ago. We are aware that it sucks.
Now that made me grin for some reason.

Had I not just tossed down 700 bucks for "Caribou" luggage I'd be buying some Motoport gear. Funny how it doesn't take long to spend more money on gear than you have invested in the bike.
Tankboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 02:11 PM   #14
ldbandit76
Life is good.

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne at Motoport
There is no other motorcycle apparel made today, other than Cycleport/Motorport USA, that provides proper: Impact/Tear/Abrasion Strength. Most racing grade leather provides proper tear/abrasion for road racing, but improper seam strength for street riding. (I can go into detail on this subject if more riders are interested.)
I'm interested. I'm especially interested in how you think your product compares to something like the Halvarssons Safety Suit, one of very few pieces of apparel to be fully CE certified for abrasion, cut, tear and burst strength (to say nothing of carrying CE approved impact pads).

I note especially that your own testing and documentation, here:

http://www.motoport.com/saveyourhide.pdf

indicates that the Air Mesh Kevlar offers roughly half the abrasion resistance of 1000 denier Cordura, while the Stretch Kevlar is roughly equivalent. But 1000 denier Cordura itself does not come close to passing CE abrasion requirements.

Can you detail your testing methods, and perhaps compare and contrast them to the CE standards (the only tests performed across a wide variety of materials and brands), such that we may compare apples and apples?

I know you're a busy guy, but this would be really interesting information.

Thanks,

Dave
ldbandit76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 07:23 PM   #15
Happycamper
Have bikes, will travel

Oddometer: 551
Who Cares?

ldbandit76

Respectfully, I don't get your point. Who cares about CE standards developed in the lab if 99% of the gear out there doesn't meet them anyway? Given that, I want the best, most protective, most functional, readily available gear. I have yet to see one person state that their Motoport 1000 or Strech Kevlar ever abraded through to the point they suffered significant road rash.

Their gear is easily the most protective readily available gear out there. Motoport's top-line gear is built like a tank. I had to take advantage of that fact twice. While I don't always wear my Motoport gear, but :ddog :ddog I know I am taking a calculated risk when I don't.
Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote