ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-27-2006, 09:20 AM   #1
Jack_ OP
Addict

Oddometer: 300
Question My first GPS. Now what? Wisconsin trails?

The Rino 530 arrived yesterday. I wasn't sure what maps would come with it, so I didn't order anything additional.

I obviously need more mapping data than comes stock. But I'm not sure what to get next.

I've taken a look online at a few of the Garmin maps. From what I've read on this board the old recreation maps were the best and those maps are now the Fishing Hot Spots? Looking online at the Fishing Hot Spots it shows good detail. I was wondering what other people are using in Wisconsin. I'm looking for backroads and would love to see Cycle and ATV trails.

Are there sources online for cycle and ATV trails? Is it possible to download something like someone's GPS data and would it appear like a new road? Or is it a track?

I guess I'm trying to figure out how people use it. What they find useful.

I know at the least I'll use it to mark my start point so I can find my way back. I was at an ATV trail a couple weeks ago and this would have been helpful. I had my doubts I would find the truck again but it wasn't too bad.

Any suggestions on which maps or useful tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Jack_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 09:16 PM   #2
BENRON
I'm Mr. Crabtree

Oddometer: 3,580
I have City Select loaded on my Garmin etrex vista C. It has every po-dunk and back-country road you could hope for. Even has some ATV trails.... People seem to have good luck with the topo maps too.

Don't pay for the more expensive mapset if your GPS can't take advatage of the routing capability....

Here's a .gpx file of the parrish highland trails Near Antigo, WI(may not be 100% complete)

You can open it with Mapsource, then load it onto your gps and it will show up as a track.

P.S. Once you get some tracks, Save them out of mapsource as a .gpx file, then use Google Earth to open them... OOOOERS!
Attached Files
File Type: gpx parrish highlands.gpx (345.5 KB, 170 views)
BENRON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 02:08 PM   #3
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,860
Just spent a week riding in the U.P. of Michigan. My riding partner had the Topo discs with him and we both loaded them. I have a 376c and he has a 60c. The Topo discs had every major road, minor road, trail, and in some cases what appeared to be deer paths on them.

Some "roads" showed up, though they were quite overgrown and would be impassable if the weather were any worse.

I have Roads and Rec, V4 I believe. It has a bit of the same info, but if you are looking for the finest level of detail, Topo is the way to go.

Regards,

Dave

P.S. You'll probably have more luck if you ask a Mod to move this to the main forum from Central

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:01 PM   #4
Jack_ OP
Addict

Thanks guys! No need to move the thread to the general area. I was more interested in what locals are using. I'll check out city select. Neither Topo or Fishing Hot Spots seems to have the trails we were on this weekend. But at least they have the roads.

BTW that Google map picture is SWEET!
Old 08-16-2006, 07:43 PM   #5
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 19,198
http://www.ustrailmaps.com/

Jack,

US Trailmaps offers rec trail info for WI and the UP. They also have a discount through the Wisconsin ATV Assn (WATVA).
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 07:02 AM   #6
Jack_ OP
Addict

Thanks Bryan. I'll check those out. I purchased the Central rec and fishing hot spots. It does a good job for Wisconsin but doesn't include upper MI. :(
Old 08-29-2006, 08:07 PM   #7
Gasdoctor

Oddometer: 1,442
Jack, I have the Wisconsin Death Trip saved as a track if you are interested.. PM me your email address and I'll send them to you!
Gasdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 03:16 AM   #8
Jack_ OP
Addict

Thumb

Thanks. I had the GPS at the time and recording the track as well. So I shouldn't need it, but thanks!

I was looking for tips on how to use the GPS. Like this weekend, the morning sucked... I get separated with a small group and I was trying to lead. I had the track in the GPS but it was very difficult to distinguish between the road and the track. I figured there had to be a way to make the track more visible but try as I might, I couldn't find the setting. When I hooked up with Bryan later in the day, he's like sure.... Menu, Track, track color... And then zoom level to navigate at made a big difference too where you lost a good bit of detail on the map, the track was very obvious and a lot easier to follow. I had to zoom in at some intersections, but then it worked great!

I'm really glad I bought the GPS. It's has made riding a lot of fun. I can just go exploring and look on the GPS to figure out which road goes in the direction I want. It's fun!

There's still a lot of things I need to learn about it. The manual just doesn't seem to be a practical guide of how to use it to do things.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:06 PM   #9
Gasdoctor

Oddometer: 1,442
No problem.. I wouldn't be to much help on "tips" I am a novice at best..

Later,
Gasdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 03:35 PM   #10
Magnuson
Quest Rider™

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by benp1981
Here's a .gpx file of the parrish highland trails Near Antigo, WI(may not be 100% complete)
Your track has most of the trail, according to the PDF map here:

http://co.langlade.wi.us/atvtrails.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by benp1981
You can open it with Mapsource, then load it onto your gps and it will show up as a track.

P.S. Once you get some tracks, Save them out of mapsource as a .gpx file, then use Google Earth to open them... OOOOERS!
Two questions:

First, is the Parrish Highlands ATV trail too gnarly or difficult that GSes (a 1200 and a 650) would be a nightmare to ride it? I've been on some ATV trails that were fun and not too challenging for the big GS beast, others that have been downright stupid to take a GS on. And if the trail is suitable for GSes, would you recommend knobbies, or would it be ridable with dual-sport tires?

And secondly, how do you get that cool 3-D topo view in Google Earth?
Magnuson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 08:00 AM   #11
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,472
Quote:
benp1981 I've tried to do this and the tracks show up on Google earth as a series of triangles which are the points I made laying in the track. How do you end up with just the line or trackand lose all the individual marks? It's pretty neat. JT
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 03:32 PM   #12
KevinD
Haulin the mail

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwind
benp1981 I've tried to do this and the tracks show up on Google earth as a series of triangles which are the points I made laying in the track. How do you end up with just the line or trackand lose all the individual marks? It's pretty neat. JT
Get rid of the triangles and the map I get don't look like that either...it ain't nearly that detailed.

Is that Google Earth Pro?

edit: I just figured out that the pic isn't the .gpx in the attachment. It's somewhere in Death Valley...

KevinD screwed with this post 09-06-2006 at 04:08 PM
KevinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 08:09 PM   #13
KevinD
Haulin the mail

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwind
I'm figuring this thing out.

Under places...unless you have saved it as a place...it'll be under temporary places.

Click the + next to the active log and uncheck the box for points and leave the checkmark for path.

KevinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:28 PM   #14
MARCO ROLLO
creek bed driveway

Oddometer: 9
3D google earth

To get the three D view click and drag the tilt tool,under the percent streaming text on the screen, or click on the button at either end of the bar..then for fun left click and drag and get them map moving in the direction that you want to go and then release the click and you will be flying over the 3D landscape. To reset the angle looking straight down click on
the button just to the left..
A good way to learn more ...is try out some geocashing...check it out on the Garmin web site..lots of fun and one only knows that we always need a reason for a ride..