Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #1
ixab OP
just Aaron, really

Oddometer: 375
Laugh Northwest to DV: do it for the noobs

Attention all you FFrs.

This is my silly ride report. My writing is usually TL;DR... see the previous Death Valley report in my sig. I'm writing this one while on the road, so I won't blab as much.

Backstory: NSFW puts on a Noobs of March rally in Death Valley every year. I'm not a noob, but the rally is intetnded to get us non-noobs to hook up with a bunch of noobs and help them get dirty. My home is Bellingham, WA, and I'm going through SF, CA on the way down to hook up with my favorite ADV lurker fhammond, so I can mock his Multistrada and argue with him about where to stop for lunch.

This is my story.

Enjoy!
Old 03-23-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
ixab OP
just Aaron, really

Preamble: Prep and whatnot

I''m going to add some prep related blah blah here, but not today, because I need to GTFO from this hotel and put down some miles. It's already after 8am!
Old 03-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #3
ixab OP
just Aaron, really

Wicked Day 1

Day 1

After a really hard good bye with my wife and kids, I rolled at about 4pm Friday. I had to make a stop at REI for some better smelling soap and a book about how to lie to people on the internet for their own entertainment. Then I was headed south.

There's the F800GS about to leave after the REI stop... I have way too much stuff, I already want to mail things home!

It took about 30 min to figure out that my heated vest and socks were not working. That made me invent my second favorite new driving game, where you try to guess what the temperature is, then check your guess against the OBC. I'm getting pretty good in the 37-41 degree range.

Saw a HUGE car wreck on I-5 about 10 miles from my house. Poor bastards. Freeway was backed up for a mile or so, but I didn't get too stressed. I also hit some traffic in Seattle, but survived that. Then it was one stop for gas and a clear shot to Portland.

In Portland I had dinner.

While enjoying Portland, I became charmed by the endless public transit, vast amounts of recycling options, and the dark haired, post punk hotties with intriguing sleeve tattoos. I traded my F800GS for this bike, and I'm going to just ride from espresso machine to espresso machine, chatting up the baristas.

Ok... really I just ate dinner and kept driving, then stayed in a cheap hotel by myself. I'm good with that. I did get a cool picture that bookends the BMW motorcycle adventure from then to now.

Portland to Salem stayed above 39 degrees, so it's all good. I was full of elk burger and Bachelor Bitter from Deschutes brewery, and so I didn't mind the last forty miles all that much. I even only checked the OBC temperature every 10 minutes, instead of every three.

I'm heading West today, running 223 to 20 to 101, then south to Eureka, CA. Nothing like a little 400 mile day to clear the head. Hope everyone's prep is going well!

Old 03-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #4
westcoasttrekker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Great start so far.

My Pics
westcoasttrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,850
This is gonna be good
Old 03-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #6
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,158
In!
joenuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,497
Wow I live in Bellingham as well. Never seen your bike around though. I'll be moving to Chelan next weekend for summer work, exciting for all the off roading on my 1980 Honda 250 XL
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote