User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2006, 08:14 PM   #16
Stranded in Iowa OP
couch adv`r

Oddometer: 298
Day 8: 7/23/06

My last day in Alaska. I cannot sleep because of some pesky critter wants to perch on top of my tent and it was loud. I would shoo it away by shaking the tent and yelling at it, but it kept comming back. It was a sea gull who found my tent more intersting than anything else. I think this was the bastard. He kept following me every where I went.

Before I had a chance to get out of my tent, there was a guy in his van that got stuck in the sand the night before. Kinda dumb. There are signs up that warns of deep sand. You would figure he would use his brains and maybe pile rocks underneath his tires and back up. No, he went foreward. I couldn`t believe what I was seeing?

He only had to back up maybe three feet or so before he would be free. This guy almost drove his van right into the ocean. Now, I`m not knocking someone for making a mistake (I do it all the time) but to dig yourself further into a trap instead of out is rather amuzing to me. Sorry. He finally got out. Guess who he was calling?

Well, it`s time to head back to Anchorage and my flight to Seattle for two days of riding. On the way back to Anchorage I took this amazing shot. This is Moose Pass. Beautifull.

I made it to Anchorage with three hours to spare. I turned my bike back in. Took a shower and got some grub before lounging at the airport. I can`t say enough about Alaska Rider Tours. They are great and very helpfull. I wouldn`t think twice about doing this again. Hopefully with a friend next time. Sometimes it got kind of boring by myself. All in all. In eight days. I travelled 2,145 miles on that KLR 650 in the rain. The KLR ran great and had no problems what so ever. My dream trip came true. Thanks Phil!
Stay tuned for day 9 in Seattle on an XR650L and the Casscades Loop tour.

Thou shalt explore the outer limits of engine-braking, backfire, and hurl fireballs from thy tailpipe.

Renting Alaska: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155041

Stranded in Iowa screwed with this post 07-30-2006 at 02:50 PM
Stranded in Iowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 08:19 PM   #17
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Go to Long Beach (WA) on July 4th. Thousands of cars on the beach, invariably you'll see a couple cars in the *surf*. One year there was a motorhome.

Morons. It's too bad stupidity isn't fatal.

Great report! Looking forward to your PNW report.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 08:51 PM   #18
selkins
No hay banda!

Oddometer: 1,487
Great stuff, thanks! And congrats on getting out of the Midwest

Mid-America -- Ozarks (Darkrider) -- Lake Superior Circle Tour -- NW US -- Labrador -- Big Bend (Darkrider) -- Yukon/Dempster Hwy -- WTX/NNM/SCO
selkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 10:41 PM   #19
GSdreamer
Mtn. Man

Oddometer: 141
Sweet Trip!!!
GSdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 11:14 PM   #20
toothy
Grin

Oddometer: 14,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder
Go to Long Beach (WA) on July 4th. Thousands of cars on the beach, invariably you'll see a couple cars in the *surf*. One year there was a motorhome.

Morons. It's too bad stupidity isn't fatal.

Great report! Looking forward to your PNW report.
The tides come in and drown the cars. I saw a pickup truck in water to it's windows Near Hammond Oregon.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:16 AM   #21
TKE
Rider

Oddometer: 70
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded in Iowa
I was traveling behind a white station wagon. The wagon driver saw a moose & calf standing on side of road and he blared his horn. Next thing I know, the moose comes charging out onto the road, almost like it was saying "who said that?" and started to charge at me. I had to slam on the brakes and do the worlds fastest 180 on a bike. When I looked back, the moose ran off into the woods chasing after her baby. Damn, that was too damn close. - I had two mooses run out in the road right in front of me. I`m not joking, I rode right between the two of them. Believe me I wanted to break and do another 180 but I couldn`t stop in time. When I did stop, to take a picture of the two mooses, one of them got mad at me, ears were flat on it`s head and started to walking towards me. Yeah, call me coward. Screw the camera, screw the picture, I`m out of here.
I think we warned you about the moose but I forgot to mention low flying aircraft and such.

Great report. Glad to see that your trip was a true adventure.
TKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:15 AM   #22
TRACTOR RIDER
No Rules Gruver

Oddometer: 1,638
Nice, report. Happy that you enjoyed our Great State.

TR
TRACTOR RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 12:51 PM   #23
Stranded in Iowa OP
couch adv`r

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKE
I think we warned you about the moose but I forgot to mention low flying aircraft and such.

When you see two moose, is it two mooses or two moose? Or meice?

Thou shalt explore the outer limits of engine-braking, backfire, and hurl fireballs from thy tailpipe.

Old 07-29-2006, 01:10 PM   #24
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,517
Quote:
When you see two moose, is it two mooses or two moose? Or meice?
LOL It's just "moose." But I'm sure a few of us are enjoying reading "mooses!" LOL

I'm glad you had a good trip. Thank you for sharing.

Take care and continued good adventures, Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 02:17 PM   #25
Stranded in Iowa OP
couch adv`r

Day 9: 7/24/06

Seattle. I had to sit and wait for darn near forty five minutes before my checked baggage showed up. I was getting a little worried. Was my baggage accidently sent to India or some place else? Soon has I got squared away I called my friend and he showed up at the airport for a lift back to his crib. Right away he wanted to go for a ride on his bikes, and I wasn`t about to complain. He got his mint condition 1984 Goldwing out and he gave me his jacked up XR650L out for me to ride. I can`t exactely tell you where we rode but it was some back roads north of Seattle (Lynnwood) and they were some tight twisty roads. I wish I had time to grab my camera (again) but there were signs up saying: Motorcycles, Use extreme caution. Um, ok! After all that, we jumped on the Kingston Ferry over to the Olympic Penninsula. That was cool. I never been on a ferry boat before. It was $6.00 one way. After a breif layover at a coffee shop and a caffe latte, it was back to the Kingston ferry and back to my friends house. That night we enjoyed some Fat Tire beer and pizza in his back yard. The weather was great.

Stranded in Iowa screwed with this post 07-29-2006 at 10:00 PM
Old 07-29-2006, 02:50 PM   #26
Stranded in Iowa OP
couch adv`r

Day 10: 7/25/06

The Northern Casscades Loop Tour. US20e, 153s, 97s, 2w. I thought US20 east was by far the most scenic. We woke up damn early. Rode north on I-5 untill we got to highway 20. We had a kick ass breakfest at someplace called Ma`s. We got underway again and the scenery in the casscade mtns were unbelievable. The weather was perfect. Sorry, I don`t have a whole lot to say. The riding couldn`t have been any better or more scenic.
I believe that was about a 400 mile round trip.
It really sucks when a perfect vacation has to come to an end.

The most colorfull lake I`ve ever seen.

The End.

Stranded in Iowa screwed with this post 07-29-2006 at 03:08 PM
Old 07-29-2006, 03:12 PM   #27
Stranded in Iowa OP
couch adv`r

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKE

You forgot to mention or warn me about the bears also! Except these guys wouldn`t budge.

Old 07-29-2006, 07:17 PM   #28
tedder
irregular

that 'colorful' lake is probably Ross Lake, or Diablo Lake, btw.

nice writeup!
Old 07-29-2006, 07:25 PM   #29
Stranded in Iowa OP
couch adv`r

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder
that 'colorful' lake is probably Ross Lake, or Diablo Lake, btw.

nice writeup!
Diablo Lake, that`s it! I`m sure it`s some kind of mineral, but what makes that lake such a torqouise color. Fascinating, I wanted to go swimming.

Old 07-29-2006, 07:31 PM   #30
tedder
irregular

Quote:
Diablo Lake, that`s it! I`m sure it`s some kind of mineral, but what makes that lake such a torqouise color. Fascinating, I wanted to go swimming.
It's glacial runoff, someone else can probably tell you more specific.

It's colder than hell. If you have nuts external to your body, you might avoid it.. (speaking as the voice of experience, not the voice of reason)