User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2006, 06:47 PM   #1
pgejman@mac.com OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Reset Warning Light Question

Hi. I have an r1150gs adv 06, still on guarantee. I have added four types of accessory lights: fog lights and driving lights (installed by the dealer) and a radiantz LED cluster from Custom Dynamics and hyper-lights (both installed by me). I understand that I perhaps have one too many accessory lights but it appears that many in the forum also have multiple accessory lights installed, and apparently without serious problems.

Problem is that the warning light is on (not flashing, just on). All the lights were checked today by a BMW motorcycles "independent" mechanic with excellent references in the BMW bikers community. He was quite thorough and found that one of the two fog lights was disconnected, and a loose connection with one of the LEDs. Both problems were immediately fixed. All four lights now perform well, and the ABS is OK. However, the warning light continues to be on. We attempted to reset the warning light by pulling each one of the fuses out of the socket, one at a time, and in the process checked them with a tester, but this did not solve the problem. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks, Pablo

pgejman@mac.com screwed with this post 07-28-2006 at 06:57 PM Reason: Making title shorter and text bold
pgejman@mac.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 10:07 PM   #2
PegasoPat
General Smart Ass

Oddometer: 336
Try this

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgejman@mac.com
Hi. I have an r1150gs adv 06, still on guarantee. I have added four types of accessory lights: fog lights and driving lights (installed by the dealer) and a radiantz LED cluster from Custom Dynamics and hyper-lights (both installed by me). I understand that I perhaps have one too many accessory lights but it appears that many in the forum also have multiple accessory lights installed, and apparently without serious problems.

Problem is that the warning light is on (not flashing, just on). All the lights were checked today by a BMW motorcycles "independent" mechanic with excellent references in the BMW bikers community. He was quite thorough and found that one of the two fog lights was disconnected, and a loose connection with one of the LEDs. Both problems were immediately fixed. All four lights now perform well, and the ABS is OK. However, the warning light continues to be on. We attempted to reset the warning light by pulling each one of the fuses out of the socket, one at a time, and in the process checked them with a tester, but this did not solve the problem. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks, Pablo
Disconnect the positive battery terminal for about twenty seconds. It might clear the fault in the computer.
Its simple and it has worked for me on cars and a few bikes
Old 07-28-2006, 10:32 PM   #3
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,407
Your tail light is burned out unless you have some sort of led replacement in which case it is doing something that appears to the bike to be a burned out tail light bulb.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:09 AM   #4
PegasoPat
General Smart Ass

My Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegasoPat
Disconnect the positive battery terminal for about twenty seconds. It might clear the fault in the computer.
Its simple and it has worked for me on cars and a few bikes
My mistake, I believed you were speaking about a warning light on the guages, not the stop light. Sorry for my brain fart.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:42 AM   #5
DeSoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Don't know if we are talking about the same thing, The LED cluster thing.

I replaced the rear tail/brake light with a led cluster light unit. It has such a little amp draw that the computer thinks the bulb is burnt out. On the unit I used, it had a set of jumpers you could switch to make it draw enough apms that you computer would recongize it and no longer throw up the fault light. Hope that helps.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:59 AM   #6
PegasoPat
General Smart Ass

Helps.

I use an led cluster for a tail light too. I have had no problems wtih it. I would check the jumpers on the board that fool the computer with regard to the abs etc. Make sure they are correct, other than that it should be "plug and play" At least mine was. Good luck with it.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:52 AM   #7
pgejman@mac.com OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Advice

Thanks for the comments. Incidentally, I was quite unhappy with the technical support from Custom Dynamics, full of contempt and no help.
pgejman@mac.com is offline   Reply With Quote